Removing stuff first with no warnings to customers is not going over well.
It never was going to go over well. Have a more formal response coming but ultimately just going to release around half our addons for free or open source. The ones that did cost, some are being made free as well and some are moving to a subscription. If you have something you're using, you can continue to use it of course. Support or updates were never guaranteed as it says on our license, its been hard to maintain everything for 10 years.

Moving everything to one subscription as others have done I think is going to be easier to maintain.

Deleting everything that hasnt been touched in forever or we have no intention of supporting (so we should stop selling it then right?)
@ThemeHouse bailing on Xenforo? What about everyone with active licenses for add-ons?
No, just going to stop selling licenses at the level we do. Its been hard to manage this for many years, I think we tried our best. You will be able to keep getting support for anything you have a license for.

And at no point somebody in management or marketing thought it'd be a good idea to give even a tiny heads-up to customers beforehand? 🤦‍♂️
I think you have 1 year to download whatever you want. There is an email going out, but you should be able to download anything still just fine. Just don't want to list things here and consolidate a bit. Its been hard to manage everything remotely.

That's really disappointing that all addons are removed and there won't be any support for future updates.

That's also tells that somehow I can't now trust to @ThemeHouse, to purchase any products in the future...
Not all add-ons, we're making many of them free. I understand people want addons to be supported forever but its just been very difficult and we've done so for ten years now? What more can we do short of what we've been trying to do.

We need to cut down our list, its just the only way. If we have a smaller list of products to maintain, the quality will be higher and everyone will be happier. A lot of these addons made it into core as well over time. If we do post updates, for at least 1 year (perhaps forever) you will continue to get updates just as you used to.

But if you need dedicated support, we just cannot do that here at the forums anymore. We're delisting almost all addon threads so that all comms can go through our site for those who need it.

I hate to break it, but we don't earn money from this community and we simply pour so much time and money into it that its insane. Its the same reason so many other developers left. Weve supported this community as best we can, and will continue to, but it has to be in a smaller role.

Things like Feeds and other products we will likely just release for free. If someone picks it up and wants to charge you to support it, I encourage that. We've tried this for years, just isnt sustainable despite all the best of intentions and best efforts.

Good luck!
Not goodbye all the way, more of a consolidation. I think we'll be spending A LOT less time here sure, but Ill always be checking in. :P

I love XenForo as a software, always have and still do to this day. I think my opinion on themes and add-ons has changed over the years as well as just the market has changed. Its rather quiet here these last few years and investing so much time just isnt good business for anyone. Doing less will mean higher quality work.

Also, I dont think it made it into the announcement but every license is extended by 3 months for support and updates.

We really don't care about how much an addon costs, having the knowledge that it'll be maintained and we can trust the developers is worth far more. We don't want to build a feature into our site that's then a dead-end as it won't be supported going forward.

That's the reason we use @PixelExit for our styles and most of our addons are from @Xon. Trust.

Literally last week we finally bought the Trending addon after Lukas confirmed it'd be continued to be maintained going forward. Now it sounds like it won't be as you've deleted it?

We really don't care about how much an addon costs, having the knowledge that it'll be maintained and we can trust the developers is worth far more. We don't want to build a feature into our site that's then a dead-end as it won't be supported going forward.
If only that were actually true. There is a market price you cannot go above despite the theory of this sounding nice its simply not true. People steal products all the time, they light us up for all kinds of reasons, chargebacks, Paypal keeps chargeback and refund fees, people download the subscriptions and keep all the products, distribute them on warez sites. Im done with all that.

On top of that, supporting products on a DISTRIBUTED software is nigh impossible, or at least to have so many. Reducing it is what we aim to do is all.

I have so much respect for someone like Xon. Its hard work.
Literally last week we finally bought the Trending addon after Lukas confirmed it'd be continued to be maintained going forward. Now it sounds like it won't be as you've deleted it?
You're welcome to a full refund. That said, it is supported but I dont think this one will be purchasable one off. There really was no good time to stop selling licenses. At least here there is at most 15 months we will be supporting our current addons that have sold. I dont know if I could have done longer.

That's the reason we use @PixelExit for our styles and most of our addons are from @Xon. Trust.

I'm taking in consideration on moving my style to PixelEdit as well at some point and uninstall most TH addons. There are some which are vital unfortunately, like image optimisation, covers, node grids. What a shame...

Thanks Mike.

Can you please outline what the status of Trending and Nodes is likely to be? Both purchased on 9th August and so far only installed on our dev site to test them out. When you say unlikely to be available as a one-off purchase, what do you mean?

Could you also explain the subsciption details? I don't really follow but that seems to be because the information isn't available anywhere yet? Which products fall under that premium subscription? How much is it?

I'm taking in consideration on moving my style to PixelEdit as well at some point and uninstall most TH addons. There are some which are vital unfortunately, like image optimisation, covers, node grids. What a shame...
By all means. Ill just say that you can continue using these for as long as you want. If they break because of a new update to XenForo after your license expires or a different addon, we'd encourage you to find someone to fix it. $10-20 for years of support is just not viable no matter how we tried.

Thanks Mike.

Can you please outline what the status of Trending and Nodes is likely to be? Both purchased on 9th August and so far only installed on our dev site to test them out. When you say unlikely to be available as a one-off purchase, what do you mean?

Could you also explain the subsciption details? I don't really follow but that seems to be because the information isn't available anywhere yet? Which products fall under that premium subscription? How much is it?
Nodes has been stable forever, and so has trending. We are considering releasing some of these for free, and then just charging for the support. Currently the plan is $250ish/quarter for access to ALL our addons and FULL support. One plan, a trimmed down list of addons, its just the only way we can feasibly move forward.

Also, if we have something in our dashboard that says "11 months" of support for something that you've deleted, what goes on with that?

Top Bottom