Are you 'skin crazy' ?

Mikey

Basically, on your forums boards, how many skins do you have? How many are user selectable?

Asking, just to see if anyone else has lots of skins..

Here's mine;
skinz.png

I showed someone the other day in the IPS chat room and the response was something like "Bloody hell" or some such.

How many skins do you have? :p

When I first started designing themes, I had a lot on my forum...now I don't. I did have quite a few on a test forum when I am actively designing but when vb 4.0 came out, I stopped being an active designer. I hope to rectify that with XF. I discovered 98% of my forum members stick with whatever you make as the default theme. 

Liz 

When I first started designing themes, I had a lot on my forum...now I don't. I did have quite a few on a test forum when I am actively designing but when vb 4.0 came out, I stopped being an active designer. I hope to rectify that with XF. I discovered 98% of my forum members stick with whatever you make as the default theme.

Liz
Currently I have a few light themes and one dark theme, I guess my site is different cos the default is a light theme, and most members are using the dark one, hehe

Currently I have a few light themes and one dark theme, I guess my site is different cos the default is a light theme, and most members are using the dark one, hehe
I didn't say I used the default that came with the software. I do have a personalized theme which I have made the default on the board and have it set so changing styles is not optional on the board. Altho my personalized theme is also a light colored theme as well. It's just very personalized. Liz

No, majority is quite disappointing. I stick to one skin, the default one, unless I feel I want to make the site unique, so then I make a unique skin for it myself.

.... well of course I am :p

I change my skin on my site every few days.

And this does not bother the users, or can they just stick to the style they want?

Statistics show though that 95% is used on the default style, and only under 10 at most for additional styles. I never really saw the value.

And this does not bother the users, or can they just stick to the style they want?

Statistics show though that 95% is used on the default style, and only under 10 at most for additional styles. I never really saw the value.

How about to make the board unique?

No, I didn't mean I change the default for the whole board, I meant I change my own user account skin every few days... my site is a skin site, so I like the variety!

On any of my sites members can always select skins, I cannot fathom the "this is what you get - like it or lump it" mentality! Most of my skin customers have purchased at least 6 skins ... some many many more, and they all get used on their sites! :D

I don't know about other forum systems, but in vbulletin each skin/style and language combination requires separate record in postparsed table,
this tables are big, and to work fast this tables must be cached... that means with more skins it will eat more ram or your forum will work slower

I am not sure if that is how it is done in IPB, but there never seems to be any discernible slowing down of forum with multiple skins at all with Invision boards.

Giving users a choice is a good thing. Only issue with vB is that you need to change the logo for each one, etc. With IPB, the quick logo changer option is brilliant so adding skins is not so tedious.

Basically, on your forums boards, how many skins do you have? How many are user selectable?

Asking, just to see if anyone else has lots of skins..

Here's mine;
skinz.png

I showed someone the other day in the IPS chat room and the response was something like "Bloody hell" or some such.

How many skins do you have? :p

Dude not seeing any of ours on there .:p

I generally change my skin once a week else I get bored, abuse members, and throw my toys out of the playpen. It ain't pretty!

I wouldn't say Skin crazy but I do like to have a custom skin as my main one and give my customers/users at least 3/4 other options also... I think this is quite important but it takes some time to build up 4 styles that I really like and it can become a pain (or atleast with vB) to actually maintain them through new versions.

I did have a custom built mobile style of vB4 for a while but so much changed between each version I was spending a week+ each time in updating it then a week latter a new version would be out again until I was forced to give up the project.

No, I didn't mean I change the default for the whole board, I meant I change my own user account skin every few days... my site is a skin site, so I like the variety!

On any of my sites members can always select skins, I cannot fathom the "this is what you get - like it or lump it" mentality! Most of my skin customers have purchased at least 6 skins ... some many many more, and they all get used on their sites! :D
Nothing wrong with Variety :D Thanks for info.

I did have a custom built mobile style of vB4 for a while but so much changed between each version I was spending a week+ each time in updating it then a week latter a new version would be out again until I was forced to give up the project.

One of my irritations with forum products, you get bogged down in upgrading to match the insane release schedules and don't do much new :( I am less than impressed with what passes for a release strategy in the product I am currently using. Know a number of Admins who have given up upgrading completely and who are now on older versions, even ran across a site happily using IPB 1.1.2 LOL

Only 2 skins (1 dark & 1 clear), i don't like a forum with 100 skins not customized, with the default logo and icons etc. Quality is better than quantity...

Top Bottom