Professional Style Designers - Are You Making Skins for Xenforo ?

vijayninel

Hi,

I know its rather premature right now as XenForo isn't even beta as yet, but wanted to know if any professional style designers, some of whom I know are members here have plans to be making styles for Xenforo anytime soon?

The default style which comes along with the forum software does not suit all communities. So no matter how much kier and mike like the "clean look"of xenforo, it is not going to be to the taste of all admins and their communities who have very different tastes. The lack of good professional skins for vB4 was one of the reasons why a lot of people did not buy/upgrade to vB4.

I wonder if xenforo have given pre-beta xenforo to professional style designers for evaluation as yet.

Thanks.

But I hope they will not be just doing custom work like John. There should be good pre made styles available as well.

I'm sure there will be. In fact, if I'm wrong, I'll personally design one for you myself. (But it's a sure bet I won't actually have to do that.)

(Dang this thread moves fast - posted that before seeing the assurances that there will be.)

I have a couple of old templates of mine that I'll be converting into styles for XenForo. :). Majority of them are gaming related however we'll see what I come up with.

I gonna make some modifications first before even thinking the possibility of creating my own styles for xenforo.
I hope the new styles will be... new. Not just minor css edits and image replacements, but inspired pieces of work by advanced designers and open-minded front end developers. Only future will show us...

Q: Will license owners be allowed to sell their styles via 3rd party marketplaces like themeforest.net?

I've got a couple of rough drafts cooked up, and hopefully some of them will turn into cool designs. I will hopefully be offering pre-made free styles and maybe some premium ones at a later date.

I don't see why not. They're your styles, not XenForo's.

This is true, but I imagine XF could stop you if they wanted to. They are "your styles", yes, but understand that when somebody sells a XF skin, 90% or more of the code they are selling is actually XF's original code ;)

Granted, I don't think it matters either way, because I've never seen something like that enforced, but I do believe that XF has the right to decide what can be sold, by whom, and how it is sold.

But I hope they will not be just doing custom work like John. There should be good pre made styles available as well.
I have a feeling that there will be a number of pre-made styles available, ranging from simple color changes that people make and release to complete re-designs. With what I have seen of the style system, it should be very easy to make theme and template changes if some basic documentation is provided. :) I for one plan to develop the mockup of theme I posted earlier and release it for free. :)

A friend of mine might be doing some designing for XenForo as well; http://cl.ly/68e130dc88666b1e1cc7
That is looking excellent, but I always worry about the use of images in designs like that. Given the focus put into making XenForo clean and lean with minimum use of images, I plan on developing any themes I make to use as few images as possible with full support for the features of the XenForo style system (color palletes, etc.). In other words, I'm not going to make blue/red/green/orange versions of themes. If you want to change the color, it will be as simple as sliding the hue slider in the style properties system. :)

They will be a combination of template edits, CSS changes, and new images, yes. :)
That site could be designed with ~15 small images, as most of the design is just repeated patterns or gradients.

It wasn't actually designed for XenForo, it was something he did when he had spare time between projects and his girlfriend, and I think he threw it together in a few hours (most of which was doing the logo). 

Who will be creating skins for xF? I know i am interested in a black and white skin with some sleek looking icons and grapics. I know xF will have a nice and easy feature to change and customise the default skin. But that is not what i am looking for. I am looking for something a bit more fancy.

I could design it myself, but that's about all i can do. I would not know where to take it from there. Plus i don't have time to take it any further.

I can't wait to see some of the skins that will be offered out to the general population.
If your skinning, or plan to, let us know. I already seen some of you showing it. Maybe one thread to keep it all in one spot would be nice until they create a skinning forum for this.

I'm a developer only. Since my artistic and designing skills are below par, I can only code what's given to me as a proper design/layout; and not design any slick interface myself. :(

Top Bottom