Fixed  Android 2.2: can't type to editor

goyo

I've just browsed with an Android Froyo stock browser.

The funny thing is the wysiwyg editor displays fine but I can't type in to it thus can't start/reply to a thread.

I think the alpha is too early to do proper alpha testing for mobile, but it's in the planning. I've tested in iPad and can type, but couldn't get richtext editor.

Rich text doesn't work in mobile browsers - it's really down to them not triggering the keyboard for contentEditable stuff. We do have checks to prevent mobile WebKit from getting it, which should work for Android, but I guess I'll have to check it with an emulator.

Alternatively, can you get the full user agent string from the Android browser?

My Desire (Running 2.1 Sense Stock) reports itself as running Mac OS X for some strange reason

Code:
Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; Intel Mac OS X 10_5_7; en-us) AppleWebKit/530.17 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Safari/530.17

If I run it in "Mobile" mode I get a more reasonable

Code:
Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.1-update1; en-gb; Desire_A8181 Build/ERE27) AppleWebKit/530.17 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/530.17

I've tweaked the user agent check so it should pick up the mobile version of Android. I don't see anyway of detecting it from the first user agent.

I've tweaked the user agent check so it should pick up the mobile version of Android. I don't see anyway of detecting it from the first user agent.

I think that was the idea, the first code is made to emulate a desktop browser and stop sites from displaying mobile version if you didn't want them to.

There's usually a hint that you can use to figure out the real browser. But it's just a shame here, as it reports that something works ... except it doesn't. And that destroys the experience.

Either way, provided you're not masquerading, it should be working now.

I always make my phone say it's a desktop, simply because I hate the mobile pages. Hopefully 2.2 actually treats the WYSIWYG correctly so I can type on xf boards in the future. Can you not get anything out of the Safari version #? Or is that also the same as desktop builds?

Mobile Safari doesn't get the WYSIWYG editor. If they're masquerading as a desktop browser, there's really nothing we can do to pick it up.

Another thing I've noticed is that although it is super easy to upload pictures directly from my phone I'm not being shown thumbnails of the images I want to upload, some weird flash screen is being triggered instead of the normal picture view that I would get on the vast majority of sites. So I'm flying blind when trying to pick the correct picture.

Settings wise my phone is presenting as a desktop and I noticed the problem the OP states, the way I got around this was to disable WYSIWUG in my options. Here's what I see on my phone when I want to upload a picture.

20110817232437.png

That's because the software uses flash (swfupload) to enable multiple simultaneous uploads. Don't think it can be disabled, or worked around really if your phone is presenting itself as a desktop. The WYSIWYG problem is also probably caused by that, since the software can't detect you're on mobile and disable it.

Switched mobile view back on, cleared cache and attempted again. Same thing.

With mobile view on and Full WYSIWYG on still the same, anyone else getting this, bit of a shame. :(

Running Android 2.3 stock browser I don't get WYSIWYG. Never tried to upload anything, but I don't have Flash installed anyways, in which case it falls back to a regular file upload.

Top Bottom