Add-on Install & Upgrade

Add-on Install & Upgrade 1.4.3

No permission to download
Could not create temporary install directory. Please verify permissions are correct to write to the install/addons directory.
Due to a permissions issue in the the directory that it is telling you (the actual install/addons off the root of your forum).
If I try to install from a zip I get this
This filter needs the zip extension
The PHP PECL for the ZIP interface needs to be installed.

Screen Shot 2016-02-13 at 10.48.01 AM.webp

Are both of these issues needing to be directed to our host? Would it make a difference that I'm installing to our test board?
Yes - if they maintain the server they need to take care of it. And no, it's a server setup issue.

Due to a permissions issue in the the directory that it is telling you (the actual install/addons off the root of your forum).

The PHP PECL for the ZIP interface needs to be installed.

View attachment 128461

Yes - if they maintain the server they need to take care of it. And no, it's a server setup issue.

Thank you. I will direct these questions to our host and hopefully not require further assistance. :)

getting a mkdir() error and wondering where it is trying to create the dir? if i knew that i could manually create and chmod the directory.

edit: looks to be wanting to create a dir called 'addons' in the install directory.

Last edited:
getting a mkdir() error and wondering where it is trying to create the dir? if i knew that i could manually create and chmod the directory.

edit: looks to be wanting to create a dir called 'addons' in the install directory.
Depending on the add-on, it could want to write basically anywhere in the web root directory.

Depending on the add-on, it could want to write basically anywhere in the web root directory.
Yeah, but the majority of the times I had the issue, it was in the /install/addons directory.. followed by the /js directory. ;)

Well, anyway, just make sure that everything in your website root is owned by the user that's assigned to your web server. For example, my web root directory (and all of its subdirectories and files, obviously) is owned by "nginx" user, since I'm using nginx. After that everything shall work as expected.

After my upgrade to xenforo 1.5.6 in two different forums, I have an issue with this: every time I click on the "upgrade" button for any add-on, I get the little loader on the top right showing up for a couple of seconds and then it disappears and nothing happens.

XF1.56: get the following error when trying to install updates:

"An unexpected error occurred while extracting add-ons. Make sure the install/addons directory exists and is writable. If it is, you may have some other permissions related problems that you should consult your host or server person about."

Directory is writable (744). If I upgrade one after the other there are no problems.

What could be the reason for this?

Directory is writable (744). If I upgrade one after the other there are no problems.

What could be the reason for this?
Is the directory owned by the HTTP or PHP processor - or a user? If a user, then it also needs to be able to be written to by the (typically) HTTP server or PHP processor.

Is the directory owned by the HTTP or PHP processor - or a user? If a user, then it also needs to be able to be written to by the (typically) HTTP server or PHP processor.

You lost me here. I just went with my FTP program to the directory and checked the settings on my server. And the settings are 744. I have no clue whether this is on the php or http side. I even did not know that there are differences.. :(

How can I check this?

Delete the library/library directory, none of the files will actually be getting used, essentially meaning you're probably running the current version of templates, etc. (from the XML file) but the original version of the files.

Until the next Add-on Install & Upgrade update (where this issue is fixed), you may want to update XenPorta 2 manually by uploading the new files and upgrading by uploading the XML file (Option 3).

@Xon @Chris D have you looked into the issue of this addon unzipping the files into the wrong folder? I'm not sure if this is a problem with this addon or with the structure of the files or even a server issue, but it has caused me to use Old School and manually unzip and upload all the files, then run the XML in a batch job to prevent this issue. Which is a heck of a lot better than running each manually, but I really liked the ZIP uploader.

This seems to be affecting quite a few addons, and probably affecting quite a few people who use this addon - and they may not know it. Someone recently posted about this on one of @AndyB's threads:

https://xenforo.com/community/threads/change-date.60210/page-3#post-1054223

I'm putting my username and my correct password and it is still giving me the error of Login to XenForo.com has failed. Make sure you login with your XenForo username and password.

@TheGreek Are you sure that you've entered login details for your Customer Area instead of the Community forums? I have separate login for the Customer Area (different email even), so I had that mistaken a few times before.

Last edited:
@TheGreek Eh wait, forums login. I mistook this add-on with the other one from ThemeHouse. I thought you had issue with XenForo upgrade (since if you want to upgrade XenForo, you'll need Customer login).

Top Bottom