Add-on Install & Upgrade

Add-on Install & Upgrade 1.4.3

No permission to download
Love this addon, I just have one two suggestions. I accidentally put in the wrong URL and I get an error message when I try to remove URL. Thankfully, I found the right URL and was able to overwrite the old one, but I have mods from other sites as well as from the xF resource area.

1) Would it be possible to allow admins to remove URLs, especially if they are erroneous?
2) Would it be possible to add more external sevice providers, i.e. @digitalpoint 's site, so I can automate the update process there too?

Would it be possible to add more external sevice providers, i.e. @digitalpoint 's site, so I can automate the update process there too?
We could set up a user-specific feed to allow users to programmatically get at anything they are licensed for if someone wanted to incorporate that into auto-installer type systems...

Love this addon, I just have one two suggestions. I accidentally put in the wrong URL and I get an error message when I try to remove URL. Thankfully, I found the right URL and was able to overwrite the old one, but I have mods from other sites as well as from the xF resource area.

1) Would it be possible to allow admins to remove URLs, especially if they are erroneous?
2) Would it be possible to add more external sevice providers, i.e. @digitalpoint 's site, so I can automate the update process there too?
Digitalpoint site is not using XenForo Resource Manager :)

We could set up a user-specific feed to allow users to programmatically get at anything they are licensed for if someone wanted to incorporate that into auto-installer type systems...
Me and Shawn discussed it a long time ago. It's definitely something I'd consider.

Thank you so much for donating. It is always appreciated!

This version brings with it a small new feature that allows you to install multiple XML files with only one cache rebuild.

The file input now accepts multiple files:

Once you click install, it processes each one of the XML files, but doesn't run a cache rebuild until the end of the process.

This makes it possible for you to very quickly batch install lots of add-ons.

Coming soon: Probably a rewrite, improved code, improved error handling, improved Resource Manager integration (No ETA).

I'm experience the most bizarre bug @Chris Deeming

I'm trying to click to update one special addon, for sudden the loading bar pops and the page refresh... As I wait, i get one "Access Restricted" server message, and when cancel, this page pops up:
http://xenforo.com/community/admin.php?add-ons/update-check

So you're addon is redirecting me to the Xenforo.com main admin panel when i click to update that add-on for some mad reason, so i took off the update checker on it. o_O

I can't reproduce this, so I'm not sure it's a bug.

If you can provide exact instructions on how to reliably reproduce this, I will give it a go.

I can't reproduce this, so I'm not sure it's a bug.

If you can provide exact instructions on how to reliably reproduce this, I will give it a go.
I guess it doesn't worth it if it did not happen with anybody else, i noticed now the addon is not hosting anymore the download in the resource itself anyway that may did help for that to happen

Actually there is some bug around, i just tried to update the Unread post count mod from there, it returns this message:
A valid and installable XML file has not been found. You must install manually.

The links are correct and it detected the update, not sure if that's intended.

This is because the add-on developer hasn't maintained the version string in the add-on XML to match that of the Resource Manager.

When you view the details of the update just click "Ignore this update".

It will keep the update prompt suppressed until the version string on the Resource Manager changes again.

This is because the add-on developer hasn't maintained the version string in the add-on XML to match that of the Resource Manager.

When you view the details of the update just click "Ignore this update".

It will keep the update prompt suppressed until the version string on the Resource Manager changes again.
Thank you very much.

Since the developer absolutely refuses to provide adequate support, the problem is often people leaving -R off of the chmod command. This addon requires some subdirectories to have execute permissions and some to have write permissions. If you just chmod 755 or 777 you're not going to get the permission added to the subdirectories. You have to add -R (UPPERCASE) to make it recursive to subdirectories.

How I've started using this addon is doing chmod -R 777 XenforoRootDirectory/ just before updating or installing an addon then returning to 755 permissions as soon as it's finished.

Note, I'm self hosted on a dedicated server so 755 is completely secure for me because nobody else is on the same machine. If you're in a shared hosting environment which doesn't have adequate security 755 can be insecure.

The developer seems to be under the misconception that we all pay "lots and lots of money" for managed hosting. That's not a normal use case scenario and even if you have managed hosting, submitting a ticket to your host saying "This addon for Xenforo needs permissions in some directories but I don't know which" will garner you a blank stare since they have no idea which directories need to be writable and executable without the developer of the addon listing them so you can relay it to your host. Basically, he's completely naive to the reality of the gamut of people who host XenForo themselves or on unmanaged hosting.

You're entirely wrong. I absolutely support the add on and answer questions on its usage and fix bugs.

What I do refuse to do, however, is advise anyone on any server configuration because a) the advice greatly varies depending on a case by case basis and b) I won't take any responsibility for anyone who reconfigures their server incorrectly and them proceeds to have issues.

That's fair enough I think.

Top Bottom