Implemented a dark theme option

dieketzer

it would be great if by default a dark theme shipped with xenforo.
sure, many people will say 'just use the style editor', and i have. but there are issues that i have encountered that have made this such an annoying task; gradients that look terrible on a dark theme hidden everywhere, shadow css that is difficult to find and looks terrible on a dark theme, classes like '@darker' that actually mean 'lighter' on a dark theme, and so on.
it sure would be great to have a dark default to base further dark styles on.

Upvote 116
This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
As we have options for buying themes for Dark Mode, the official solution is always the best.

I'm again suggestion this official Dark Mode, since the 2.2 upgrade is all about modernization, and like i said, official solution is the best solution for anything.

The XF Dev Team should really consider this feature for the 2.2, since i really like the minimal theme in XF, but the Dark Mode is a essential thing in this days, and a nice little light bulb to turn on/off.

Let's do this guys? This thread is from 2010 to be noted.

I styled my own and it only took a few minutes. A child style. I spent the next few weeks refining it as I saw things a bit off when I browsed. I don't see how a XF stock dark style would have helped. I used the colors of my website. I quite enjoyed the process and my users loved it. Do you really need a dark blue starting place based on XF's colors? Just get cracking and you'll have your own! Click... dark color, a couple more clicks. Save.

Well, backing this up since i would love a option of a native dark theme for the vanilla XF.

I styled my own and it only took a few minutes. A child style. I spent the next few weeks refining it as I saw things a bit off when I browsed. I don't see how a XF stock dark style would have helped. I used the colors of my website. I quite enjoyed the process and my users loved it. Do you really need a dark blue starting place based on XF's colors? Just get cracking and you'll have your own! Click... dark color, a couple more clicks. Save.

Well, there is some options in our Resources for a 'free dark theme variant' for the vanilla XF:

I think they will work fine in the last version but i have to test it. I'm really considering to give the option to my members to use the vanilla with this dark theme for who likes a more minimalist approach. Actually, I'm using the beautiful Nova (@Pixel Exit) from @Russ as a default since my Forum launch.

But we should not start by the principle that all of our XF Scene is people with experience in designing and codding.

I think most of the costumers of XF are 'common folks' who doesn't know a lot about server management, editing themes and specially, coding, doing the basics just for the Forum administration.

Sometimes i note this behavior in the XF Forum.

Agreed. With one exception. 😁

When I work on a new design for a forum, whether it's XF default theme or a third party theme, I make a child theme of that, and use that to make all of my layout and functionality changes (template edits, etc.). Then beneath that child theme, I create more child themes that contain only the color differences. And as you say, changing colors via the palette is simple. I have gotten used to which colors to change, and what I tweak to work beyond that. I found that changing a theme's color went quickly--I could get the basics dialed in within minutes, and then take a few days of using it to tweak anything that looks wrong.

And XF's "dark style" setting might be misleading to some, but @Chris D explained it to me in a post a year or so ago regarding exactly what it did. (Going on my faulty memory, I believe it has to do with some LESS elements that XF created, and choosing light or dark inverts their operation.)

My exception? What we really need to make this work is a way for XF to detect if the OS is running a light or dark theme, and adjust accordingly. Then in XF, we could have a way to designate the default light theme and the default dark theme. That way, the theme changes for those who never bother changing their default themes, yet if they choose an alternate colored theme, it will stick to that theme without changing automatically.

Well, there is some options in our Resources for a 'free dark theme variant' for the vanilla XF:

That dark default is a good place to start. You will have to edit certain areas, though. I know, for example, that you will need to change the colors for the tags field and certain check box options. Can't remember what else, offhand, but it' still a lot quicker than starting from scratch. Could just use the Shades of Grey style, too, not a lot of difference - maybe make a couple color changes to that one, if you want.

Last edited:
Chill Reaction GIF

All I have to say if this is what we have to look forward to... not impressed.
I'm not a fan of the default XF style... and I will most likely have the same opinion of any "dark" style that is offered.
There are honestly more important things that need to be done that pursuing the low hanging fruit. After two years, the reach needs to be a little higher.

Top Bottom