[8WR] XenPorta (Portal) PRO

[8WR] XenPorta (Portal) PRO [Paid] 1.2.2b

No permission to buy ($40.00)
Jaxel I sent you a PM to see what we can do to my problem.
Tried looking into the template files and no clue where is the problem.

I have already tried that. The issue is not whether or not the widget content is responsive, it is the rules that are applied for thread_recent which determine the triggers to display the thread title, stats, and author. For your widget, you have the thread_recent template content in there without any contextual formatting. So that if the PAGE is full, the widget will display FULL content... even when the widget itself is in a column where it should be displaying MIN content. That is what I am struggling with. You need to have some rules in that widget to format it based on the location. Right now it is displaying the same thing regardless of whether it is in one column, two columns, or spread across the entire page.

What you are basically saying is that your widget isn't a widget at all. It is simply a custom module that will only work in certain locations and if certain conditions are met.

@DooMAGE Your pointer worked like a charm. Thank You!

I commented out everything between <div class="section messageAuthor"> and <xen:avatar user="$posts.{$thread.first_post_id}" size="s" /> for anyone else looking for this info. Thanks again @DooMAGE (y)

@Jaxel: Will the overlapping categories @ article list be fixed in the upcoming update? It looks so bad (visually, and I have to add the articles to the corresponding categories, so can't not do it..), I really need to fix this :\

In my opinion, this would be a great solution:

- Where you select what categories you want to add to the article (on the "Promote Article" page), give us the option to select the priority of the categories. (a numerical value/drag and drop, on the left side of the category list). Highest category goes first, then second etc. This gives us the option to customize what category is viewed first on the Article List/Article. This eliminates the problem that you get the categories after alphabetical value, and not what is most important to that article.

- Then, secondly, give the option to select (with check-boxes on the right side of the category list) what categories to show on the Article List. The rest will be visible on the article itself, and if you go into that category to browse those articles. This fixes the problem of overlapping, as you have full control over what categories are listed on the Article List.

Simple, yet effective.

Last edited:
  • About hardcoded phrases, check my pm.
  • You forgot to implement the function to deal with the option "articlessimple_trim"
  • EWRporta2_Model_Articles :
    • The below loop can be avoided since there's a final loop after:
      PHP:
            foreach ($articles AS &$article)
            {
              $article['article_date'] = $article['order_date'];
            }

• About the trim missing function:
      The parseArticle function should have probably a new parameter to allow to get params from the widget and particulary the trim setting which could override the "$options->EWRporta2_articles_excerpt" or even the prebreak options.
  • Template: EWRporta2_ArticleList_Bit
    1. About the stat data, it would be nice to regroup them in a same parent. Ie:
      HTML:
              <ul class="statData">
                 <li><div class="iconKey views"></div>{xen:number $article.view_count}</li>
                 <li><div class="iconKey comments"></div>{xen:number $article.reply_count}</li>
               </ul>
      Code:
      .articleItem .statData {
         position: absolute;
         right: 0;
      }

.articleItem .statData li{
         display: inline-block;
      }

On small screens, the stats often come above the date information, so may be this kind of css would be useful
      Code:
      <xen:if is="@enableResponsive">
      @media (max-width:@maxResponsiveNarrowWidth)
      {
         .articleItem .statData { display: none; }
      }
      </xen:if>

2. About the phrase "porta2_by_x_on_y_at_z", it would also be nice to split it in 3 parts and let admin decide if they want to display the time, date, or none otherwise it can't be done by css since it requires to hide the whole block, unless (and that would be easier for you) you wrap each data inside a specific span tag.
      • If the option "EWRporta2_articles_dateblock" is checked, there's no really use to display the date
      • About the time, unless (I haven't tried) this data also reflects the edited time of the article and mention it clearly ("edited the..." ; useful to alert users of an update) ; now to keep this on a single line is going to be hard

Last edited:
@Jaxel: Will the overlapping categories @ article list be fixed in the upcoming update? It looks so bad (visually, and I have to add the articles to the corresponding categories, so can't not do it..), I really need to fix this :\
In the next version, if there are too many categories, it will simply break into a second line.

Where is that link created?

You can disable the sidebar when viewing the article only?
Yes... create a layout for articles... dont put a sidebar in it.

• About hardcoded phrases, check my pm.
  • You forgot to implement the function to deal with the option "articlessimple_trim"
  • EWRporta2_Model_Articles :
    • The below loop can be avoided since there's a final loop after:
      PHP:
            {
            }

• About the trim missing function:
      The parseArticle function should have probably a new parameter to allow to get params from the widget and particulary the trim setting which could override the "$options->EWRporta2_articles_excerpt" or even the prebreak options.
  • Template: EWRporta2_ArticleList_Bit
    1. About the stat data, it would be nice to regroup them in a same parent. Ie:
      HTML:
              <ul class="statData">
                 <li><div class="iconKey views"></div>{xen:number $article.view_count}</li>
                 <li><div class="iconKey comments"></div>{xen:number $article.reply_count}</li>
               </ul>
      Code:
      .articleItem .statData {
         position: absolute;
         right: 0;
      }

.articleItem .statData li{
         display: inline-block;
      }

On small screens, the stats often come above the date information, so may be this kind of css would be useful
      Code:
      <xen:if is="@enableResponsive">
      @media (max-width:@maxResponsiveNarrowWidth)
      {
         .articleItem .statData { display: none; }
      }
      </xen:if>

2. About the phrase "porta2_by_x_on_y_at_z", it would also be nice to split it in 3 parts and let admin decide if they want to display the time, date, or none otherwise it can't be done by css since it requires to hide the whole block, unless (and that would be easier for you) you wrap each data inside a specific span tag.
      • If the option "EWRporta2_articles_dateblock" is checked, there's no really use to display the date
      • About the time, unless (I haven't tried) this data also reflects the edited time of the article and mention it clearly ("edited the..." ; useful to alert users of an update) ; now to keep this on a single line is going to be hard
  • Hardcoded phrases will be updated in the next version.
  • Articles Simple has been fixed.
  • That loop can't be avoided... if you don't use the auto-promote function, then order_date won't exist at all... so it can't be placed in the other function. Order_date is used only because of the union, and then it is thrown out.
  • If you want to edit the template to re-arrange things... you can. It doesn't really make a difference though, so there is no reason to change the code now, which would just screw with people who have already skinned the bit to how they like it... changing it would create more work for them, and provide no discernible advantage.
  • Splitting phrases into 3 parts kind of defeats the purpose of phrases; since it would be impossible for locales who do things in different orders to re-arrange things without doing template edit. Doing the phrase the way it is done allows people to re-arrange things by simply editing the phrase. Thats what phrases are for...
  • Edited time is displayed at the bottom of every post... Keeping users informed of what was edited is on the responsibility of the editor.

About the loop, it's a detail but you still can do it like this
PHP:
    $adjustDate = false;

if(...)
     {
       (...)
       $adjustDate = true;
     }
     else
     {

}

{
       if($adjustDate)
       {
       }

$article = $this->parseArticle($article);
     }

About the phrase, it would be good thing to wrap the date & time between a span tag with the XenForo class: "DateTime". It's for JavaScript, but it's also useful for languages that need to have the month in lowercase.

Last edited:
Doesn't that already exist?
My bad, I totally missed it.

Just for the record, while I was working on the slider (that is nice but that is impossible to extend out of the caller function), I notice there's an update for it that works fine too.

Top Bottom