No permission to download
Compatible XF 1.x versions
  1. 1.4
  2. 1.5
License
MIT Licence
Visible branding
No
A collection of improvements to the XenForo Conversation system.

This will automatically uninstall my old add-ons: Unmaintained - Conversation Search by Xon and Unmaintained - Conversation Reply Permissions by Xon

For large forums, please see the "Installing for large forums" section

Uninstalling removes all data!
Search Index however will require a full rebuild to delete the old data!

Features
  • Adds conversation search, with options to search by recipient.
  • New Conversation Permissions
  • Adds an 'IP' button like posts have which allows the IP of the user to be viewed.
  • Conversation Likes.
  • Conversation Message Edit history
  • Conversation Title Edit history
  • Allow conversations with no-one (default off)

Adds conversation search, with options to search by recipient

Users must be a member of the conversation to see the conversation in search results.

Does not permit moderators/administrators to see another person's conversations in search results.

Due to XenForo's design, this addon impacts general 'everything' search as per search handler constrains are not invoked resulting in false positives which are removed by XenForo rather than the search subsystem. The Elastic Search Essentials add-on can be used reduce the impact on search results, but requires Elastic Search.

Adds each conversation, and conversation message to the XenForo Search store (MySQL or Elastic Search), which may result in a larger search index.

New Conversation Permissions

Just takes away a user's "reply" button, no banners.

The reply limit is for the entire conversation, but the limit is per user group. Consider when User A & User B are members of a conversation.

User A can have a reply limit of 5. User B can have a reply limit of 10.

Once the conversation has >5 replies, User A can no longer post. Once the conversation has >10 replies, User A and User B can no longer post

Conversation Likes

Adds conversation likes. These Likes generate alerts, and additions to users news feed (with permission checks) as expected.

Conversation Message Edit History

Adds edit history for conversation messages.

Conversation Title Edit History

Adds edit history for conversation's title, and implements a new moderator permission "Manage Conversations by anyone" to allow non-conversation starters to edit a conversation.

Allow conversations with no-one

A global option to allow users to send conversations to just themselves.

Known Issues
  • Edit History does not respect/implement any silent editing window.
  • This add-on likely will require a higher memory limit (ie <256mb isn't going to cut it) due to extra search results.

Installing for large forums

For large forums, please try manually adding all the columns in a single step.
This took upto 5 minutes for 1.3 million conversation messages (compressed).

Adding Like support & edit support at once:
Code:
ALTER TABLE `xf_conversation_message`
  ADD COLUMN `_likes` INT UNSIGNED NOT NULL DEFAULT 0,
  ADD COLUMN `like_users` BLOB,
  ADD COLUMN `edit_count` int not null default 0,
  ADD COLUMN `last_edit_date` int not null default 0,
  ADD COLUMN `last_edit_user_id` int not null default 0;
ALTER TABLE `xf_conversation_master`
  ADD COLUMN `conversation_edit_count` int not null default 0,
  ADD COLUMN `conversation_last_edit_date` int not null default 0,
  ADD COLUMN `conversation_last_edit_user_id` int not null default 0;
Or just edit support at once:
Code:
ALTER TABLE `xf_conversation_message`
  ADD COLUMN `edit_count` int not null default 0,
  ADD COLUMN `last_edit_date` int not null default 0,
  ADD COLUMN `last_edit_user_id` int not null default 0;
ALTER TABLE `xf_conversation_master`
  ADD COLUMN `conversation_edit_count` int not null default 0,
  ADD COLUMN `conversation_last_edit_date` int not null default 0,
  ADD COLUMN `conversation_last_edit_user_id` int not null default 0;

Note; both like and edit columns are required!

Permissions
  • Can Reply to Conversation. - Default - If a group can start a conversation, they can reply.
  • Reply Limit for Conversation. - Default - If a group can start a conversation, the reply limit is disabled (ie infinite).
  • Like conversation messages. - Default not configured.
  • Manage Conversations by anyone. - Default - If a group can edit any conversation posts, this permission is set for them.

Manual post-installation steps - Rebuild Search Index

The add-on will report (via server errors) if conversation related content types require re-indexing.

Performance impact
  • 1 extra query per conversation message posted due to indexing, and indexing itself.
  • 2 extra columns per conversation message for Like data.

Installation

I recommend using Add-on install & upgrade to install this addon.

Contributing features or bug fixes
Please create a Github Pull request via the "More Information" link.

Contributions

If you appreciate this addon, please consider a contribution via PayPal. Details will be provide via private conversation.

Please contact me if you wish for different licencing arrangements.
  • conversation_search.webp
    conversation_search.webp
    4.6 KB · Views: 1,982
  • conversation_search2.webp
    conversation_search2.webp
    5.4 KB · Views: 1,885
  • conversation_search_detailed.webp
    conversation_search_detailed.webp
    13.7 KB · Views: 1,876
Author
Xon
Downloads
Views
First release
Last update

Ratings

5.00 star(s) 9 ratings

More resources from Xon

Latest updates

1. 1.3.15 - Compatibility fix

Fix error when indexing conversation messages with DragonTech credits installed
  2. 1.3.14 - Maintenance update

Elasticsearch v6 single-type support is complex so move it into...
  3. 1.3.13 - Compatibility update

Fix "Undefined index: recipient_state" when interacting with other add-ons

Latest reviews

I would not run a forum without it. It adds essential functionality like conversation search and the ever useful conversation like. Highly recommended! Do combine it with Xon's Elastic Search Essentials.

Like all Xon's addons this is high quality code that will run smooth on any board. No matter the size.
Great add-on and great support! Thank you very much for maintaining these add-ons and fixing any issues that arise! :)
A very simple add-on that my users and I really enjoy. I love the fact that private conversations are easily searchable, and that users can like each other’s messages!
Very nice add-on that makes finding a particular Conversation so much easier, plus enabling your users to 'Like' posts within Conversations encourages more participation & involvement with your community.
A simple, but very cool mod. The main feature me and my users enjoy is the ability to "like" a private conversation. The mod author is very friendly and even contacted me privately to help fix a bug almost within minutes of me reporting it. Thanks!!
Very useful addon and it's FREE! I love all your work Xon! The very friendly developer on XF Community. With very great support!
Does everything it says and some... Liking conversations and other additions making the conversation experience much better. Thanks for this free resource Xon, much appreciated.
Thanks Xon a neat little addon that adds some, IMO, essential features to conversations. members had just been typing *like* in their messages to show ones they approved of so now they won't have to do this any more :).
Top Bottom