XF2 [8WR] XenCarta 2 (Wiki) PRO

XF2 [8WR] XenCarta 2 (Wiki) PRO [Paid] 2.2.0.2

No permission to buy ($30.00)
This is the add-on I purchased when looking into the same thing.. I never got around to implementing though.
This is interesting. Perhaps @Siropu would be interested to integrate it into their add-on? It might not be all too difficult considering the wiki uses unique values (page_slug) that can be used as keywords, replacements (page_title) and links (standard .../wiki/page_slug).

It can be quite a task to manually add keyword linking while having a big wiki.

Couldn't you just use XF's built-in word censor system for that?
It doesn't seem to support links and word replacement (using bbcode)? Plus it would clutter with the whole censor system if you would use it for both wiki linking and censoring bad words.

Last edited:
This add-on already supports page linking, anyone found a way to also make it work for the rest of the forums? So if a specific word that is within the wiki is found in a post/thread it will link it to the specific wiki.
I'm using VaultWiki on my vB and there, if I have wiki with some words, it gets automatically linked where you mention it, in posts, private messages (conversations here i XF lingo), etc.

I think that it would work like that here too.

I actually thought this is how that works with this add-on.

If it doesn't automatically link existing wiki articles, then it's a pretty bad from my POV.

Reactions: jul
I'm using VaultWiki on my vB and there, if I have wiki with some words, it gets automatically linked where you mention it, in posts, private messages (conversations here i XF lingo), etc.

I think that it would work like that here too.

I actually thought this is how that works with this add-on.

If it doesn't automatically link existing wiki articles, then it's a pretty bad from my POV.
It unfortunately doesn't. Words are only linked in the wiki itself (between pages). I do prefer the look of XenCarta over VaultWiki tho. So, it's a decision I'll have to make deciding what I find more important. Looks or functionality.

Jaxel updated XF2 [8WR] XenCarta 2 (Wiki) PRO with a new update entry:

2.2.0.2 - CHANGELOG

• Meta descriptions will no longer throw out all contents within BB codes. They will instead only throw out content between template codes.

Read the rest of this update entry...
This is still happening in places, unfortunately.. I've tried rebuilding the search index to no avail (or is this not the intention of this update?).

I can also replicate it at 8WAYRUN:
1643452550854.png

Do you have any useful templates to see how they would work?

We need to create a mountain bike oriented quick guide to our NJ parks -
We came up with a generic template, then all I need to do is invoke it for each park

if you look at this one - https://www.mtbnj.com/forum/wiki/syw2r_chimney_rock/
the park specific code looks like (you can see the template invoked, and the sections)

Code:
[template=sywtr-park]
shortName=Chimney Rock
| longName= Washington Valley Park
| topImage= [ATTACH=full]162829[/ATTACH]
| introductionText=  The locals call it Chimney Rock (CR) - That is the name of the town park centered in the larger Washington Valley Park - maintained by Somerset County.  The trail system has been expanding at a good rate over the last 10 years, with the county's acquisition of adjoining land.  This expansion has created sections of the park with distinct characters.

[ATTACH=full]163553[/ATTACH]

The Blue Trails sit on the west side of Newmans Lane.  The trail to the left on the way in, rides well in both directions.  Some loose rocks on a bermed switchback climb are easily navigated.  There are a few exposed rock plates, a nice roller, a couple of steps  with go-arounds, and a progressive skinny.   Once the main climb is complete, the trail flattens a bit, and then smooths out.  Optional log-overs are followed by some smooth twisties.  The two main downhill trails are Blue Lumps, a collection of mounds and logs, and the Blue Interior Trail, a fast downhill with a couple of speed checks and rock features.  The perimeter trail along the Middlebrook Creek between the downhill trails  is often wet or muddy.  Best to avoid it unless there has been an extended dry spell.

The White Trails provide the link between parking lots on the north side of the reservoir.  A flat, double track runs along the water, with spots to stop and fish. Riding this trail to the dam at the end provides options for transitioning to the red trails, the orange trail (the famous Guardrail Climb), or to reverse back to the Ballfield Lot via the White to Gilbride Trail. The trails located away from the reservoir border an old, water-filled quarry.  Narrow single-track with drop-offs to each side connect different  sections of the quarry, with some fun, rollable drops into the dry pits.  Twisting, smooth single-track will lead to the east, and a connector to cross Chimney Rock Road where easy access to the Ballfield Lot is available.

The Red Trails are located to the south of the reservoir.  The trail closest to the water is the easiest way to transition from the parking lot to the dam on the south side.  It is still some work to navigate the rocks and roots presented at the three (usually dry) water crossings.  The perimeter climbs are not steep, and use switchbacks to soften the grade.   Trails are mostly smooth, with some loose stone.  There are a variety of optional rock features to test your technical skills at the top of the climb.    The lower interior trail can holds water after rain - best to leave it to the hikers.

The Orange Trails have two distinct sections separated by Gilbride Road. The north section is easily accessed from the Ballfield Lot by riding through the Disc Golf course (please be considerate - they have the ROW) or the bridge to the trail that parallels Gilbride Road behind the ballfields.  The loop between the disc golf and  the Middlebrook Stream  is relatively flat and non-technical with one required log-over, and ladder bridges for some wet areas.  Crossing Gilbride Road, the rider is greeted with a rock plate climb,  with the recommended fork to the right to complete a switchback climb.  The trail then splits into a loop which stays near the top of the climb, or reverses back towards Gilbride Road along the East Reservoir.  The Guardrail Climb trail provides access back to the Red and White Trails.  Mom says to be very careful crossing the street - the cars are moving fast, and often use the shoulder.

The Black Trails - The newest loop out and back from the Gilbride lot.  The upper trail might provide future access to the Camp Cromwell property - currently under redevelopment by the town.  The trails here are smooth and fast.  The area closest to the water can stay soft after any rain.  An interior climb provides a route to avoid that zone.  When the water is low enough, riding across the stream from the orange trail  is possible.

The Yellow Trails will greet you with plenty of  rocks - loose and chunky in some spots,  large plates in others.  The trails are well maintained, and  shed water after a rain.  Thrilling descents, and grinding climbs are a trademark of this section.  A picture opportunity awaits your group at the Hawk Watch, where you'll find our birding friends with their spotting scopes looking out over White Rock and the quarry.  At the bottom of the fire road is a dam and the very picturesque Buttermilk Falls.    If you see Harold at the Eagle's Nest Museum, please say hello.

| bestTrails= Luge Run -> Main Vein - From the high spot to the low spot of the yellow trails.
Blue Interior Trail - Mostly downhill with some speed checks

| bestLoops= Ride loops are created by linking sections together.   A popular start is from the Ballfield Lot to the orange trails behind the disc course for a warm-up, which would continue onto Gilbride and the black trail loop.  Cross the street onto yellow and ride along the water, climbing to Hawk Watch - regroup for picture - then continue to the south side of Miller Lane, then the north side - one or more loops on each can be created.  Back via Main Vein to the orange trails south of Gilbride Road - create a loop by riding up the switchbacks and back to the water (then climb again), or stay up top and head towards Chimney Rock Road via the Guardrail trail.  Options here are crossing the road to white or red.  White provides a quick way back to the Ballfield Lot, or link into the Red, White, and Blue Loop.

Patriot's Loop (aka Red, White, and Blue) - Starting in the Newman's Lane lot is an excellent choice for a shorter, yet spirited ride.  Cross Newman's Lane and ride blue in a clockwise direction.  It starts with a moderate climb so you'll warm-up quickly.  Ride to the Blue Lumps downhill, make right and climb the interior connector, make a left and bomb the Blue Interior Trail back to the parking lot.  Make an exterior loop out of white, adding in some of the unmarked internal trails, then head towards the dam at the south of the reservoir.  Head downhill on Chimney Rock Road and re-enter the gate on the right - follow the fire road to the first open gate in the fence, and climb out to the first left.  Stay on the single track for all of Red Exterior (or maybe the upper interior trail) and ride back down to the parking lot.

Loop 1: The Semi Complete Chimney Rock

Notes

It may be somewhat obvious by now but the park can probably be looped together in 93,717 ways. The following is just 1 of the ways and it touches on most of the good stuff in most of the trail areas (as seen in the colored map above). For the most part, it hits the trails in the directions I like to hit them. We park at Newman's Lane for this ride.

General Description
[LIST]
[*]Start with Blue and get the "best of" and a good intermediate warm-up
[*]Hop over to white for some easier miles
[*]Ball field & black loops continue the easier vibe
[*]Cross Gilbride and hit the yellow trails which brings you down High Tech, which is the most technical stuff here. You can cut out that lower loop if you want to dial it back
[*]Orange is just the up & over but you get the guardrail descent
[*]Red to finish it up
[/LIST]
GPS Tracks

Strava The Semi Complete Chimney Rock
Trailforks Ride Log
(need TF route?)
(GPX download)

Loop 2: All the Red, White, & Blue (plus Ball Fields)

Notes

This route touches the intermediate-to-easier segments of the park but does pretty much everything in all directions. This is the loop you do if you don't want to stretch yourself too much. This may not be for everyone but if you ride here all the time, it's a somewhat different spin on the usual. We park at Newman's Lane for this ride.

General Description
[LIST]
[*]Pretty much every blue trail in the park in both directions
[*]Then red, both directions
[*]White is not as comprehensive
[*]Head across the street to do the ball field loop in both directions.
[*]I also cross Chimney Rock Road in 2 different spots to show that there are multiple ways to do that
[/LIST]
GPS Tracks

Strava All the Red White & Blue
Trailforks Ride Log
(need TF route?)
(GPX download)

| parking=Primary parking is at the Ballfield Lot.  It is easily maneuvered as the main section is a loop, with additional parking off the end.  Alternate parking is available at Newman's Lane and Miller Lane lots.  Limited parking is available at the Gilbride Lot.

| Amenities=Bathrooms are available at the Ballfield Lot.  A porta-john is available in the Newman's Lane lot.  Repair stands with tools are available at the kiosks near the Ballfield Lot, and Newman's lot.

| Features=

| Maps=Trailforks Map

Strava ride of most of the park: https://www.strava.com/activities/3542813776

[ATTACH=full]163635[/ATTACH]

| Media=

| LinksTo=

| Nearby=
[/template]

it was created from this template

Code:
[template=sywtr-park] shortName= | longName= | topImage= | introductionText= | bestTrails= | bestLoops= | parking= | Amenities= | Features= | Maps= | Media= | LinksTo= | Nearby= [/template]

With this html
Code:
<div class="sywtrWrapper" style="border-spacing:0; padding-left: 4em; padding-right: 4em; margin:0 auto">
    <style type="text/css" scoped>
        .li {
            margin: 0;
            padding: 0;
            }
    </style>    
<div class="sywtrTitle"  style="text-align: center">
    <h1>So You Want to Ride {{{shortName}}}</h1>
    <h1>{{{longName}}}</h1>
</div>
<hr width="100%">
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<table style="border-spacing: 0; margin:0;  width: 100%;">
<tr><td style="align: left;">    
<div class="sywtrTOC">
<h3>On This Page:</h3>

<ul style="margin: 1em; padding: 0;">
    <li><a href="#Introduction">Introduction</a></li>
    <li><a href="#Best Trails">Best Trails</a></li>
    <li><a href="#loops">Loops</a></li>
    <li><a href="#Parking">Parking</a></li>
    <li><a href="#Amenities">Amenities</a></li>
    <li><a href="#Features">Features</a></li>
    <li><a href="#Maps">Maps</a></li>
    <li><a href="#Media">Media</a></li>
    <li><a href="#linksTo">Links to:</a></li>
    <li><a href="#areaThings">Nearby</a></li>
</ul>
</div>
</td><td style="text-align: center">
<div class="sywtrTopImage" style="text-align: center">
    {{{topImage}}}
    <!-- not sure about this - if not available? -->
</div>
</td></tr>
</table>

<a name="Introduction"></a>
<div class="sywtrIntro" style="text-align: left">
    <h2>Introduction</h2>
    <p>
        {{{introductionText}}}
    </p>
</div>

<a name="Best Trails"></a>    
<div class="bestTrails">
    <h2>Best Trails to Ride</h2>
    <p>
        {{{bestTrails}}}
    </p>
</div>

<a name="loops"></a>    
<div class="bestLoops">
    <h2>Best Loops to Ride</h2>
    <p>
        {{{bestLoops}}}
    </p>
</div>

<a name="Parking"></a>    
<div class="parking">
    <h2>Parking</h2>
    <p>
        {{{parking}}}
    </p>
</div>

<a name="Amenities"></a>    
<div class="anebutues">
    <h2>Amenities</h2>
    <p>
        {{{Amenities}}}
    </p>
</div>

<a name="Features"></a>    
<div class="features">
    <h2>Features</h2>
    <p>
        {{{Features}}}
    </p>
</div>

<a name="Maps"></a>    
<div class="maps">
    <h2>Maps</h2>
    <p>
        {{{Maps}}}
    </p>
</div>

<a name="Media"></a>    
<div class="media">
    <h2>Media</h2>
    <p>
        {{{Media}}}
    </p>
</div>

<a name="linksTo"></a>    
<div class="linksTo">
    <h2>Links To:</h2>
    <p>
        {{{LinksTo}}}
    </p>
</div>

<a name="areaThings"></a>    
<div class="areaThings">
    <h2>Nearby</h2>
    <p>
        {{{Nearby}}}
    </p>
</div>
</div>

Just purchased this add-on and am looking forward to use it. I would love if in addition to BBCode and HTML pages there were Markdown pages!

Anyone know how to swap the Navigation/family-list and Wiki Index/index-list positions on the sidenav bar? I've been trying for hours and I can't seem to find the $sideNav js that the page_container is referring to.

NVM it was in carta macros.

Last edited:
Exactly what I was looking for!
There are two things I would like to see, if you ever have time:
  • Deeper nesting (e.g. wiki/animals/cat), perhaps by being able to create category pages that list pages similarly to a forum category.
  • In PHP pages, the ability to choose between a file and a widget.

I've created a PHP page. Is there a way to point the site to a PHP page created within XenForo or is it expecting something like https://www.example.com/myPage.php?

Edit: Seems it's the latter. Adding a path to index.php works, but index.php? results in an error, so I can't pass arguments.

Last edited:
Is there a way to stop members from creating pages to certain parent nodes? This way people wont create pages to your wiki index?
Wouldn't restricting that page accomplish this?

I would really like to see deeper nesting of pages though. Why can't a child page, be a parent to other pages?

Is there a way of using a second [template] inside the one? I couldn't find any solutions, nor documents to do it. Tried the html page option but as far as I get it, XenForo would not allow to execute script codes. I am trying to make css tabs for some section and try to show the content in each tab. Below the question is:

Code:
[template=tabtemplate]
| tab1= content
| tab2= [template=tab2][/template] (Sorry, i am new to bbcode and wiki)
[/template]

Obviously this does not work. I'd like to add some content in between the tab2 section using another template. Is it possible? Or if I use the html page, is there a way to execute script codes under meta tags? Thanks in advance. Great addon, great effort.

Is there a way of using a second [template] inside the one? I couldn't find any solutions, nor documents to do it. Tried the html page option but as far as I get it, XenForo would not allow to execute script codes. I am trying to make css tabs for some section and try to show the content in each tab. Below the question is:
Sadly no, the only way is to split your encapsulating template up into smaller template parts that get called out per each, which means creating templates that you know expect a previous and later template.

I've been trying to understand how to make use of this to document items in our gaming community and have, sadly, yet to have figured it out. I would completely compensate someone's time who could bring us up to speed on it. It's just never seemed very user friendly. :|

I've been trying to understand how to make use of this to document items in our gaming community and have, sadly, yet to have figured it out. I would completely compensate someone's time who could bring us up to speed on it. It's just never seemed very user friendly. :|
Yeah, sadly, you basically have to create each template like its own HTML snippet. For example, if you want to say build a table you'll probably have to create a few templates such as:

[template=table-start][/template]
[template=table-head][/template]
[template=table-row][/template]
[template=table-foot][/template]
[template=table-end][/template]

You pass in variables to the HTML from the template by doing {{{variable}}} inside the HTML and then would have to call that variable in the specified template. For example, say your [template=table-row][/template] was just the html of <tr><td colspan="{{{colspan}}}">{{{text}}}</td></tr>. Then you'd enter the following in the wiki itself with the pipe | character used to separate variables:

[template=table-row]text=This text will show up in the cell with a colspan of 2. | colspan=2 [/template]

For an example, check out this page: https://www.freestepdodge.com/wiki/frame-data-doa2hc-kasumi/

And a list of all my current templates here: https://www.freestepdodge.com/wiki/special/templates/

I used the existing EXTRA.css to update the styling of the HTML for each template.

Yeah, sadly, you basically have to create each template like its own HTML snippet. For example, if you want to say build a table you'll probably have to create a few templates such as:

[template=table-start][/template]
[template=table-head][/template]
[template=table-row][/template]
[template=table-foot][/template]
[template=table-end][/template]

You pass in variables to the HTML from the template by doing {{{variable}}} inside the HTML and then would have to call that variable in the specified template. For example, say your [template=table-row][/template] was just the html of <tr><td colspan="{{{colspan}}}">{{{text}}}</td></tr>. Then you'd enter the following in the wiki itself with the pipe | character used to separate variables:

[template=table-row]text=This text will show up in the cell with a colspan of 2. | colspan=2 [/template]

For an example, check out this page: https://www.freestepdodge.com/wiki/frame-data-doa2hc-kasumi/

And a list of all my current templates here: https://www.freestepdodge.com/wiki/special/templates/

I used the existing EXTRA.css to update the styling of the HTML for each template.

So basically you're building out the wiki manually rather than just entering text into say a prepared template and having the wiki self create? I mean I get you could likely use the same 'html/page' for each entry, but this looks a lot more manual than say some of the non-XF integrated wiki's out there.

Or maybe I am lazy :(

Top Bottom