XF 2.3 / 3.0 release date

The most incomprehensible thing is the promise and creation of new Hys topics. I am renewing my license as a law-abiding citizen every day, especially after seeing that the official forum has been updated. But what do I end up seeing? For 4 months I just look at the official forum and don’t understand why I updated the license? In order not to track a bunch of bugs, shouldn't you give the beta to users and catch their feedback? Why do we pay for a subscription for 3 years when we see no results?
Which is why you don't renew unless you absolutely need it and see it is available. Too many blank promises have been made. They no longer have credibility.

Unfortunately, this is a very foul business practice. It is a bait and switch; promise members for a few years that something new is coming in hopes of them renewing their license to keep funds coming into the company while you keep kicking the rock down the road until funds dry up; you then introduce the new version you've been promising to entice customers to renew again.
It is a very bad way to balance your books on the backs of supporting customers.

Bait and Switch - XenForo has been promising the release of 2.3 for the past few years. This had members renewing (many in 2023), hoping that XenForo's leadership was speaking the truth.

I completely understand that you do not have to renew until something is released. However, we had statements from XenForo leadership stating it would be released in 2023, etc.

Here is a good example of other customers starting to connect the dots...
If you took advantage of the renewal promotion you've already eaten into ~3 months of that with nothing gained

I don't really agree with these statements. The team does not have an obligation to update the software like 2.3 is going to be. Only security updates are welcome when needed.

Only problem here is the timeline between the first mention of 2.3 by the team in July 2022 (with a timeline for the first step, HYS threads) and the release of the (beta) software without any explanation.

Only security updates are welcome when needed.

I definitely disagree, XenForo:
  • went 8 months between maintenance, with countless known issues (many of which still are not even acknowledged by them, including regressions in the latest releases)
  • is still using an editor that is known to have many issues, and still not replacing it with 2.3 even though they've gone through the effort of completely stripping out jQuery which is a massive backwards compatibility issue that should never have been planned for a second point release
  • only recommended up to PHP 8.0 until January, even though 8.0 was released over 3 years ago, and has not received even security support since November, and still don't support PHP 8.3
  • has had, essentially, zero official communication this year, and we're nearing the end of the first quarter already

I definitely disagree, XenForo:
  • went 8 months between maintenance, with countless known issues (many of which still are not even acknowledged by them, including regressions in the latest releases)
  • is still using an editor that is known to have many issues, and still not replacing it with 2.3 even though they've gone through the effort of completely stripping out jQuery which is a massive backwards compatibility issue that should never have been planned for a second point release
  • only recommended up to PHP 8.0 until January, even though 8.0 was released over 3 years ago, and has not received even security support since November, and still don't support PHP 8.3
  • has had, essentially, zero official communication this year, and we're nearing the end of the first quarter already
I agree with these statements. The HYS messages feel really premature, with the first one being posted almost 5 months ago now; if the intent was to release short-term. I get issues need to be worked through, but having no official bug tracker, no official sprint / tracking board, statement on how things are going, and no embracement of beta to allow devs to at least start to work on compatibility; I don't understand or have any confidence in the release strategy of this software.

I don't want this to be negative of XF in general; the software is great, and I do greatly appreciate the engagement in the community; but the 'blackhole' communication on direction and updates to their core products is weird and a major disservice to trust and the customer.

Last edited:
I do wonder what's going on in their minds over at XF Central. I don't think there's any deliberate bait and switch going on, but something definitely isn't right at the core of the company. Those HYSs implied that 2.3 wasn't very far away and yet here we are, months later with nothing and precious little communication again, which goes against their promise to be more open.

Note that I don't want to speculate reasons for why this is happening since they're likely well wide of the mark given that we have no information to go on. It's simply obvious that something isn't right there.

At least the XF Cloud that I'm on continues to be rock solid stable with great performance and that matters. Let's not take that for granted. A truly dodgy company would have screwed us over with that.

The lack of communication explaining XF 2.3 beta delay is indeed frustratring - as is the really slow pace of bug fixes / maintenance releases for 2.2.

As everybody else I don'tknow the reasons for this, I can only assume that removing jQuery and the dark mode are causing way more issues than anticipated.
While highly appreciated I think removing jQuery is a massive undertaking and I wouldn't have expected this to happen in a point release.

Though I still have hope to see XF 2.3 in 2024 :)

I don't want this to be negative of XF in general; the software is great, and I do greatly appreciate the engagement in the community; but the 'blackhole' communication on direction and updates to their core products is weird and a major disservice to trust and the customer.
I think all the other XF devs rely on Kier and he is working alone on taking XF decisions.

The lack of communication explaining XF 2.3 beta delay is indeed frustratring - as is the really slow pace of bug fixes / maintenance releases for 2.2.

As everybody else I don'tknow the reasons for this, I can only assume that removing jQuery and the dark mode are causing way more issues than anticipated.
While highly appreciated I think removing jQuery is a massive undertaking and I wouldn't have expected this to happen in a point release.

They're busy creating it all that's why nothing much is being said.
When @Chris D jumps on here he usually has time to fix other bugs that others are seeing.

Unfortunately, this is a very foul business practice. It is a bait and switch; promise members for a few years that something new is coming in hopes of them renewing their license to keep funds coming into the company while you keep kicking the rock down the road until funds dry up; you then introduce the new version you've been promising to entice customers to renew again.
It is a very bad way to balance your books on the backs of supporting customers.

Bait and Switch - XenForo has been promising the release of 2.3 for the past few years. This had members renewing (many in 2023), hoping that XenForo's leadership was speaking the truth.

I completely understand that you do not have to renew until something is released. However, we had statements from XenForo leadership stating it would be released in 2023, etc.

Here is a good example of other customers starting to connect the dots...
If you took advantage of the renewal promotion you've already eaten into ~3 months of that with nothing gained

Well, my forum doesn't really make any money anymore. It does but it only offsets some of the overall costs. The December promotion did help me because I was out of support and they did release a XF maintenance release that I would not have had access to prior to taking advantage of the December promotion. I am hoping the release is imminent, but I do believe we need a timetable or roadmap so we know what is going on at this point. Obviously not every case is the same. For budgeting reasons I had to lapse on the update license. If there had been more frequent releases I might have been inclined to renew prior to that.

I agree and appreciate some of your thoughts but sorry I don't agree with this.
Nobody forced me to renew. I did not and do not feel misled. I'm glad I renewed.
If you renewed, yet there is no new content or updates. What’s the point? Why are you glad you renewed then at that point? Jw.

If you renewed, yet there is no new content or updates. What’s the point? Why are you glad you renewed then at that point? Jw.
He got a discount. Not knowing he paid too much for all the months where there are no updates that are worth it.

He got a discount. Not knowing he paid too much for all the months where there are no updates that are worth it.

Do you still continue to make assumptions about others' behaviors?!:rolleyes: I consider myself fortunate and have a job that allows me not to wait for discounts. Moreover, I believe I don't have to justify my choices to anyone. But I can make an exception. The reason I renewed is that I had left the software without updates for a few years, mainly waiting for the Google markups to be improved. I must say, at least in my situation, I've noticed a significant improvement in search engine performance since the update.

Screenshot_20240308_084535.webp

Last edited:

Similar thoughts.

Also, it seems like the 3.0 is being worked on "in parallel" (at least that's the impression I got). Maybe all that takes time.

I'm happy to see the 2.3 being tested here, on the official XenForo community and prefer that to hasty releases without proper testing.
Some things take time.

Do you still continue to make assumptions about others' behaviors?!:rolleyes: I consider myself fortunate and have a job that allows me not to wait for discounts. Moreover, I believe I don't have to justify my choices to anyone. But I can make an exception. The reason I renewed is that I had left the software without updates for a few years, mainly waiting for the Google markups to be improved. I must say, at least in my situation, I've noticed a significant improvement in search engine performance since the update.

View attachment 299328
Sorry Miri, do you not see the irony in your own post?

This right here is still my only complaint. I couldn't care less how long it takes to get 2.3 out. I'm happy to wait longer for a more superior, and bug free as humanly possible, software. I've said it many times...I still consider XF to be the best option for me and my sites, and I'm still very confident that'll still be the case whenever 2.3 is released. What I don't like is the lack of communication by the devs, even though they've stated that they know they've failed here and said they'd do better. The unprecedented delays by the XF team are not a huge deal to me, but the lack of communication as to why it's happening is just bad business practice, from a customer support/satisfaction perspective. I purchased two licenses near the end of last year because of the HYSs being released. I thought, based on previous releases, that we were very close to a Beta release. Here we are, going on six months since the first HYS, and still no Beta. Why? What happened? Were the HYSs released prematurely on accident then something else happened causing a delay? Were they released at that time on purpose, knowing the Beta would be at least half a year out, to stir up excitement and/or boost sales/updates? Is that why the sale happened in December too?

I hate to think these are the kinds of things these guys would do, and I'm certain this isn't the explanation we'll get (if we ever get one), but when you don't communicate, and you leave people to their own imagination, I can assure you, in situations like this, it'll never paint a pretty picture.

Top Bottom