Failed upgrade wave to XF 2.3

Can only really compare to other forum software, WordPress prioritises backwards compatibility so you usually don't need to do anything at all when upgrading to even second point releases.

My experience with the previous XenForo update was quite painless (the update to 2.2.16).

And I've seen a fair share of WordPress updates messing up websites (from bad layout, to outright going down).

The principle is the same. The only question is how much do we expect developers to protect us from ourselves. :)

XenForo 2.3.0 is now available. Upgrade now
Wordpress 6.6 is available! Please update now.

What difference? XenForo has put a button while WordPress put a link and said please.
You have to be disingenuous to say that the sentences have a different meaning.

305363-c37cff2028159612802e033983fb56c5.jpg

Are people more likely to upgrade if they see the word please?

305363-c37cff2028159612802e033983fb56c5.jpg

Are people more likely to upgrade if they see the word please?

It seems like a (polite) request.
It's fair to add that the update notice is shown on every backend page in WP, and as an icon when you are logged in and viewing the site in the front end.
Seems a lot more pushy - with the general nagging about enabling the auto updates and showing that as a "site health" issue if it's disabled (shown as a "critical issue" for not doing the latest messy 6.6 update LOL).

Compared to that experience, XenForo seems super-polite and unintrusive. :)

Should they rephrase or change that button?
Maybe. Maybe add some note. Though I'm not sure how I'd re-phrase that to make it not be too long.
Perhaps add a link (or have the button show a page) explaining the risks and what to do and check before an update.
Not that I expect it to stop many people. :)

Edit:
Such WP's policy puts you in an awkward position if you recommend against a particular update or against enabling automatic updates.
XenForo is not nearly as bad (at least that's my impression).
Correction, just checked: WP shows disabled auto-updates as a "critical issue." Even crazier. LOL

Last edited:
I've always found it was made abundantly clear that upgrading your forum can break addons and cause trouble!
I don't know what else they can do. For all website owners, it's standard practice to make backups before upgrading software anyways. Am I missing something?

I don't see the harm in adding a small message to the admin panel, I guess. But then people will still complain that it's not clear enough.
The responsibility of being a forum administrator includes knowing what the **** you’re doing. That is non-negotiable, and it applies no matter what software you end up buying and using for your community.

I was very excited about XenForo 2.3, and I started a thread about it on my own community last year, soon after the announcement. However, at the same time, I also said I wouldn’t be touching it with a bargepole until there had been at least two point releases * - because, no matter how judicious one is with quality assurance, Murphy’s Law is, after all, immutable: If something bad can happen, it more than likely will.

Patience usually pays dividends: I’ve worked in the IT industry long enough, and I have the grey hair (and balding pate) to prove it.

Last weekend, I bit the bullet and upgraded. On Friday, I’d just applied the 2.2.16 update, so I’d gotten used to the procedure - and as I didn’t have a staging environment available, I made damn sure I could restore everything to its prior configuration in 10 minutes, if there was a hitch. I don’t run a commercial forum. I also applied the update after my typical visitors (mainly in Europe) had gone to bed, so most of them weren’t affected. Those that were just saw a forum closure message saying things would be back online soon.

I only used the standard style (and I love the dark variant: My only suggestion would be to make the logo area a graduated background, from dark blue to blue-black, just as the background on the forum subheadings are rendered. If anyone can tell me how I can modify the standard style to achieve this, I’d be very grateful, because I think it would look awesome with my logo.)

I did encounter the dark mode not being available once I’d upgraded, but the kind people at XenForo also made it clear to me that I had to explicitly enable style variations after upgrading XenForo to 2.3.

Disabling add-ons before upgrading made the process reasonably painless (and I wish to express my sincere thanks to those who wrote the 2.2 > 2.3 upgrade advice in these forums.) However, I had to uninstall my XenForo add-ons in order to upgrade them: When I upgraded to 2.2.16 on Friday, I noticed the upgrade message for the add-ons (and didn’t notice at first that the add-on version for all three was 2.3.2), which was admittedly rather bone-headed of me: The add-ons failed to upgrade, because I was running XenForo 2.2.16 - but then I was never offered the chance to upgrade again, once I’d installed 2.3.2. So, I had to remove all three add-ons, and only then was I offered the chance to automatically install the 2.3.2 versions from the administrator interface.

Fortunately I hadn’t made too much use of those add-ons, but that was more down to the grace of good luck than good planning: I’d have been rather miffed if I’d had to reconfigure everything again. As it is, I got off lightly. But please fix this little problem.

* I was being extremely generous in my estimation of XenForo’s software quality: By comparison, I will not touch a new Fortinet firewall firmware version until at least four point releases have made their way to the public.

Last edited by a moderator:
This should never happen, if you uninstall Media Gallery or Resource manager rather than disable, you are going to lose a lot of stuff.
I know this should never happen, which is why I mentioned that it happened to me. It's a bug, and it needs to be fixed.

Fortunately I hadn't made great use of the add-ons, and while it's true I could have rolled back the Friday upgrade, I didn't realise that it would impact upgrading the add-ons under 2.3.2 until the early hours of Monday, when I moved my forum from 2.2.16 to 2.3.2. I didn't want to lose two days' worth of comments by rolling back then, so I just uninstalled them and installed the 2.3.2 versions when I was offered.

I did also try installing directly from archive, but that didn't work, either. One way or another, it's not bothering me anymore, but I thought I'd bring it up here as a potential gotcha for anyone else who clicked the upgrade button under 2.2: Roll back your installation to your last backup, while you can - or, at least, until XenForo provides a fix for this behaviour.

You should have submitted a ticket at the time and we would have been able to resolve it.

I've done many upgrades from 2.2 (2.1, 2.1. 1.x) to 2.3 with XFES, XFMG, and XFRM without issue.

You should have submitted a ticket at the time and we would have been able to resolve it.

I've done many upgrades from 2.2 (2.1, 2.1. 1.x) to 2.3 with XFES, XFMG, and XFRM without issue.
Perhaps, but it was rather early in the morning - and I didn't realise it was an issue until the second upgrade, which was also rather early in the morning, and still before regular office hours on Monday. I just didn't expect to get timely support when it mattered, and for me, the risk of losing data was fairly minimal because I hadn't encouraged use of the add-ons within my forum yet. (We'd mostly been concentrating on how the layout should be structured, etc.)

I was lucky: I mentioned my experience here because the next person who runs into this issue might not be as lucky as I was, and forewarned is forearmed. My thanks go out to those who posted their experiences of the upgrade (especially disabling the add-ons in advance), as my upgrade went pretty smoothly otherwise - and it's great to be finally running on 2.3! The performance improvement on my ancient iPad was quite noticeable.

I know this should never happen, which is why I mentioned that it happened to me. It's a bug, and it needs to be fixed.
What I meant was that I don't understand why you had to uninstall as opposed to disabling. So I'm not quite sure what the bug is that meant you had to uninstall as opposed to disabling

What I meant was that I don't understand why you had to uninstall as opposed to disabling. So I'm not quite sure what the bug is that meant you had to uninstall as opposed to disabling
I had to uninstall because the option to upgrade the add-ons was not presented again under XenForo 2.3.2, after failing under XenForo 2.2.16, and attempting to manually upgrade under XenForo 2.3.2 (after enabling the requisite setting - $config['enableAddOnArchiveInstaller'] = true; - in src/config.php) was not successful.

I would have been stuck with 2.2.x add-ons under a XenForo 2.3.x installation, which is obviously not supported.

Back
Top Bottom