XF 2.3 / 3.0 release date

BikeGremlin

Is there a “pessimistic” timeline (with all the possible worst-case disclaimers) for the 2.3 (or 3.0 for that matter) release?

I plan to start a forum, and would rather wait a month or two than hassle with updates from the start (does that make sense?).

Do you know which PHP version will be optimal (8.1 is for the current version if I understand correctly)?

Relja

I've lived through upgrades from 2.0 to 2.1, and 2.1 to 2.2. It's rare that many things "break" with these upgrades. Third party styles are usually updated quickly and of course, the default XF style is part of the overall upgrade. I've had addons work in newer versions without any trouble whatsoever. With others, changes were minor (a couple I could fix myself), or the upgrade didn't take all that long. (It depends on the developer of course.)

In other words, I don't worry about it, and will always use whichever version is current. Waiting until "tomorrow" gets my projects nowhere fast.

I'm working on a large project right now where I have to upgrade 1.5 to 2.x (finally!), and I'm not waiting for 2.3. Once we've upgraded to 2.2, I can install 2.3 on our private test installation of XF (allowed per license) and work out any issues before upgrading the "live" version.

I have to upgrade 1.5 to 2.x (finally!)
Been there, done that. Other than having to hire my stylist back to do an updated style and replace a couple add-ons that didn't make the transition (most of my 1.x add-ons were actually addressed by functionality in 2.x) it was relatively painless, actually. Best of luck!

Been there, done that. Other than having to hire my stylist back to do an updated style and replace a couple add-ons that didn't make the transition (most of my 1.x add-ons were actually addressed by functionality in 2.x) it was relatively painless, actually. Best of luck!
Thanks, I'll need it!

I had a few setbacks along the way, which is why it has taken so long. Largely, an addon developer left me hanging by pulling support for a few important ones we need, so I decided to ditch their theme after replacing most of the addons and go with PixelExit, meaning I had to start my customizations over (including addons I had written for template changes). Then we had server issues, which I've sorted out over the past week or so. I also have an issue now where some addons are throwing errors, so that requires some troubleshooting. I will have to pull an allnighter to do this during low traffic periods, as there are a lot of new permissions I have to set, various new items to configure in XF settings and addon options, then change other permissions due to how we're changing our classified ad forums.

But it will be so much better when it's done! And 2.3 will be a breeze to upgrade to when it's ready and we've tested it.

Do you know which PHP version will be optimal (8.1 is for the current version if I understand correctly)?
Currently, the maximum supported PHP version for XenForo 2.2 is PHP 8.0.
XenForo 2.2.14 will be supported on PHP 8.1 (and maybe PHP 8.2 with XenForo 2.2.15), XenForo 2.3 will be supported on PHP 8.3

Currently, the maximum supported PHP version for XenForo 2.2 is PHP 8.0.
XenForo 2.2.14 will be supported on PHP 8.1 (and maybe PHP 8.2 with XenForo 2.2.15), XenForo 2.3 will be supported on PHP 8.3

8.0 for 2.2.13? I'm running 8.1 no issues on .13.

As for OP: No release date or estimated release date yet. Once the beta starts dropping, I do not recommend loading it on a production site. Feel free to set up a private, locked down test install to play around with 2.3 until its stable.

As for OP: No release date or estimated release date yet. Once the beta starts dropping, I do not recommend loading it on a production site. Feel free to set up a private, locked down test install to play around with 2.3 until its stable.

test-in-production.webp

Jokes aside, even waiting for 2.3.1 might be a prudent idea.
The new version does look neat though - kudos to devs for supporting the "dark theme" out of the box. That's something I saw many people asking for on forums in general.

Regarding PHP, I googled and browsed the troubleshooting sections.

XenForo homepage recommends PHP 8.0
Some users say 8.1 runs best for them - at least that's how I understood it.

I'd run the version that is most stable for the software. 8.0, even 7.4 is perfectly fine as far as I'm concerned.

Xenforo updates are almost always seamless

I think that is true if you have a vanilla site, but the more style and template changes you make and the more add-ons you use the more complex the upgrade becomes.

It sounds like 3.0 might introduce quite a few issues with styles, but also that it is quite some way off - so my advice to the OP would be just to get on with and start your forum anyway. You don't want to be sitting around when 3.0 is released thinking should I wait for 3.1 when you could be working on growing your forum.

Yes, 8.0 is the maximum supported version for XenForo 2.2 as of now.

8.1 should work (mostly) fine, but it is not officially supported.
Just like you can run many Windows software on Linux via Wine, this is not supported by the developers of those programs.

Or you can use InnoDB for XenForo MySQL fulltext search tables (which mostly does work), but it is not supported :)

it appears your xf_search_index table has been converted from the MyISAM engine to InnoDB.

This is not supported by us and not the default.

What are the benefits for a Xenforo forum if it runs on PHP 8.x instead of PHP 7.x?
What are the advantages?

What are the benefits for a Xenforo forum if it runs on PHP 8.x instead of PHP 7.x?
What are the advantages?
First and foremost, safety. Everything under 7.5 will no longer receive updates.

The most important innovation in PHP 8 for website and shop operators is the so-called JIT compiler ("Just in Time" compiler). This determines how parts of the code are interpreted: Passages that are executed again and again are "marked" and do not have to be interpreted the next time - very similar to a cache. In this way, the code is executed faster, which results in noticeably higher speed. The website or online shop therefore benefits from better page speed.

First and foremost, safety. Everything under 7.5 will no longer receive updates.

The most important innovation in PHP 8 for website and shop operators is the so-called JIT compiler ("Just in Time" compiler). This determines how parts of the code are interpreted: Passages that are executed again and again are "marked" and do not have to be interpreted the next time - very similar to a cache. In this way, the code is executed faster, which results in noticeably higher speed. The website or online shop therefore benefits from better page speed.

Nicely explained and I agree.

Though I would argue that the performance and security concerns are not very critical in practice (for most forums, most of the time).

The biggest concern is that lagging too far behind leaves you without support for your software.

Updates for updates' sake across the industry, to a great degree (at least that's how I see it - I'm sure that many people will disagree and that's fine).

Relja Retrogrouch Novović

Top Bottom