XenZine Articles [Deleted]

I don't know if this is the right but I think if something is enabled in Administrative the Final Value should not be "No"...

XenZine Moderator Permissions - Can Edit Any Article

Global Permission Values
Administrative:Allow
Moderating:Allow
User Value:Allow
Final Value (Global):No

Hi @tenants

Very nice addon (y) and I am considering buying it and moving my wordpress over to it and map all urls & redirects etc.

I have one question, is it possible to change the default layout? I am not a particular fan of pinterest style layouts, call me old school I know but I like standard horizontal layouts and no grids.

Regards

@tenants,

Sorry if this has been asked before, but is it possible to have an Aligned Column view, rather than the multi-level view (Article boxes are all one level in different rows) - I'm watching this mod with interest and this is one thing I'd like to see.

Just noticed that @Nusant may be asking the same question I have.

after upgrade to latest version, my article page is blank now, any solution?

Attachments

• 2014-04-19_17-53-43.webp
    2014-04-19_17-53-43.webp
    11.5 KB · Views: 8
@tenants

So we ended up taking the plunge on XenZine and so far, so good. I've been busy converting 50+ articles from Wordpress which has been pretty tedious but I am on the home stretch. I have, however stumbled across several things which either 1) Need to be improved. 2) need fixing.

The BIG issue I have is - The article display orders.

If I set it by new activity, it isn't showing them in the correct order. As this is replacing WP, some of the articles have been backdated and it seems to be broken in XenZine on main browsers. Oddly enough, from my testing, it works fine on mobile browsers.

Here is a an example of what I mean.

As you can see from the image below, the dating is all messed up. Additionally, new articles are now displaying at the bottom now too, when it should be at the top.

article-display-problems.webp

In this image below , you can see that the latest article regarding Xbox One updates is right at the bottom of the list.

article-display-problems-2.webp

The other big problem is, I have no style properties for XenZine. It's all hard coded and I don't want to have to edit it (Which I have done so far) or have a major extra.css page.

Can we have style properties for the Blocks please?

How did you import them, do they have publish dates in the database?

The order wont change based on browser (the list is returned based on the server query, this query is browser independent). However, it will change based on which order you have selected and what it currently "happening" with "Activity"

I can see in the first image you have selected "Activity", I can not see in the second image what you have selected the order as

When selecting "Activity", depending how you define Activity, Articles will get bumped when then following events occur:

Recent Activity
  • Publish
  • Republish
  • Likes (turned off by default)
  • Discussion Posts
  • Rating
  • Pins (not yet applicable)

So if an article has just been published/republished/discussed/rated it will get bumped to the top

What you can also do, is not use "Activity" as the default order. In the ACP you can choose the following options:

Default Article List Order
  • Activity
  • Ratings
So you can order your articles by any of the above by default

If in the above case, the 2 images are both Activity, and nothing has happened between image, is it possible to see the URL of both (is the Xbox possibly adding a parameter)

For instance, this URL is ordered by Activity:

http://xenzine.com/
As is this:
http://xenzine.com/?o=a

This is ordered by publish date
http://xenzine.com/?o=p

This is orderd by likes:
http://xenzine.com/?o=l

This is orderd by ratings
http://xenzine.com/?o=r

This is orderd by views:
http://xenzine.com/?o=v

When you look at those pages on the XBox are they ordered correctly, is http://xenzine.com/ the same as http://xenzine.com/?o=a and can you see anything additional with the URL on the Xbox

Hey @tenants

- Check out http://www.destroyrepeat.com/forum/articles/ to see what I mean with the date ordering :) - I can provide AdminCP access if required.

If you go all the way to the last article (Using more articles) you can see how crazy the listing is for some reason.

Also, A couple of things I'd love to see featured.

Ability to show all Child Category articles in Parent.

So for example, my requirements for the site can sometimes mean I will have an Article in Xbox, but then a Sub-category (Titanfall for instance). I'd like to show all Child category Articles (Titanfall) when you click on Xbox.

The ability to have multiple categories per article.

Again, say it is an article about Titanfall. I'd like to show this in the PC Gaming and Xbox sections, as the game is multi-platform.

If you are ordering by Activity, there is no "correct order", since the order is dynamic.

If you have published them and used the xenzine workflow to publish them, and no activity has been applied (no likes / discussions / ratings /republishing), then the will be ordered by published_time
If you have put them into the system without publishing them (database insert), then you might not have a published_time

In this case the order will be fairly random until activity occurs, depending how the database pulls it out

For Activity order of the query will be:

Code:
            SELECT published.*
            FROM xz_article AS published
            ORDER BY published.recent_activity DESC, published.published_time DESC

So if no activity is defined, then order should be by published_time, do these articles have a
published_time in the database?

Something I have noticed is that the images do not have a fade-in background colour. That will happen if they have not been published through the xenzine workflow (how were they inserted)

Last edited:
If you are ordering by Activity, there is no "correct order", since the order is dynamic.

If you have published them and used the xenzine workflow to publish them, and no activity has been applied (no likes / discussions / ratings /republishing), then the will be ordered by published_time
If you have put them into the system without publishing them (database insert), then you might not have a publish date

In this case the order will be fairly random until activity occurs, depending how the database pulls it out

For Activity order the query will be:

Code:
            SELECT published.*
            FROM xz_article AS published
            ORDER BY published.recent_activity DESC, published.published_time DESC

So if no activity is defined, then order should be by published_time, do these articles have a publish time in the database?

Something I have noticed is that the images do not have a fade-in background colour. That will happen if they have not been published through the xenzine workflow (how were they inserted)

Hi,

They were manually created as articles one by one. I added them all immediately as published and then back-dated them as per the option to (Change Publish date)

No funny tricks or anything like that was done in the process. It just seems a bit odd (The choice of displaying)

I'm simply after displaying them by "Published" date. Despite selecting the option of Activity - Published , it seems to be having no effect on display list. I assume it should take on the "New" Backdated publish date? It doesn't seem to be. I'm happy for you to take a look at the back-end, as I'm not DB expert and have only added them in the way that I saw possible of creating new articles.

The one exception is the Diablo 3 one (Displays top left) which was a thread that I have converted to an Article.

Last edited:
Ah ha

They were manually created as articles one by one. I added them all immediately as published and then back-dated them as per the option to (Change Publish date)

Changing the publish date, does not change the "activity" of when it was published
Also, there is no option in the ACP to change the order to published
You can turn off all activity, so that "Published" is the only one included in Activity calculations. But the activity value is created on the as activity happens (changing the publish date will not affect activity, and it shouldn't)

I could add more "order" options as an enhancement with out much work
Hmmm, what I might do it add 2 extra options for order

"order by published date"
"order alphabetically"

That will mean there will be 6 order options:
  • Activity
  • Views
  • Alphabetically (new)
  • Publish Date (new)
What I can't do, is fit all 6 into the list bar at once (thinking of mobile users), so only the first 4 ticked in the ACP will be shown on the list bar (so the admin will have to make choices for which should be displayed)

Last edited:
Ah ha

Changing the publish date, does not change the "activity" of when it was published
Also, there is no option in the ACP to change the order to published
You can turn off all activity, so that "Published" is the only one included in Activity calculations. But the activity value is created on the fly (as it happens, changing the publish date will not affect activity, and it shouldn't)

I could add more "order" options as an enhancement with out much work
Hmmm, what I might do it add 2 extra options for order

"order by published date"
"order alphabetically"

That will mean there will be 6 order options:
  • Activity
  • Views
  • Alphabetically (new)
  • Publish Date (new)
What I can't do, is fit all 6 into the list bar at once (thinking of mobile users), so only the first 4 ticked in the ACP will be shown on the list bar (so the admin will have to make choices for which should be displayed)

If there's an option to make it show http://www.destroyrepeat.com/forum/articles/?o=p as default without the ugly domain, I will be a VERY happy chappy!

The will allow for a more standard "News flow", which is exactly what I am after.

Any thoughts on my earlier suggestions as well.

• Ability to show child category items in Parent Category
  • Ability to have multiple categories per Article
Both are extremely beneficial for bigger article sections in a news service format.

Another question I had was with regards to the Display Categories as text, rather than images. I'm not sure if it relates to my theme base (UI.X) or if it's by design, but with the categories as text it looks like this.

category-list.webp

I was wondering if that could be cleaned up to look like this.

other-question.webp

The Category list is still there, just via the menu option. It then continues the design without breaking the consistency of the flow ( 4 Columns)

Last edited:
Hello @tenants I was wondering if there is a way for the articles that land in the forum to open on the 'article' tab and not the 'discussion' tab. Even better, is there a way to display the whole article in the 'discussion' tab when it is opened via a forum? It's a little confusing for new members. Silly I know, but true.

Many Thanks,
Nick
www.californiareefs.com

Not at the moment, it has been requested a couple of times, so I'll add it to the to-do list

Hello Tenants!

I was wondering if this is still something that is on your list or in the works? Thank you!

Nick

Another question I had was with regards to the Display Categories as text, rather than images. I'm not sure if it relates to my theme base (UI.X) or if it's by design, but with the categories as text it looks like this.
)

If I'm honest, that was just something I missed, since not having category images was a scenario I thought unlikely (although it remains as an ACP option).. but yes, it would be simple to clean up, and the button to select categories is now there (so the list of categories in the 1st item is not as necessary), I'll see what I can do

Hello Tenants!
I was wondering if this is still something that is on your list or in the works? Thank you!

It's still on the to do list, but might take a little work

Top Bottom