Add-on XenPorta 2.0 Portal & Framework Crowd-Fund!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I finally pledged my 30 for my personal site. Got 60 left to go until funded! I am sure it will make it in 41 days. Reminded my main customer to get in on this soon because I know they want it.

If I can be the first person to put down some changes that I think should be in the rewrite from the ground up to make it easier...

1) Authors - We have Categories but we should also have Authors. This allows us to give credit to content creators. Without quality content creators there's no need for a CMS/Portal. Authors can be added in the same way as categories are and there should be Author pages (like Category pages) where all the promoted content from that Author can be found.

2) Category Page blurbs - Currently we have category pages but there is no blurb to say what the category is about. We could add a customised blurb to each individual category such as 'this is an article section and all articles in this section are blah blah blah'

3) Portal/Category/Author/Article Layouts as easy to find templates - Each layout should have it's own template with template.css where we can have the look and layout of that particular page customised the way we want it. We could customise our Articles page or Portal page, etc.

I cant think of anything else right now but I think the above are basic changes which should be included in the rewrite from the start as it will give us more control over customising the look and feel of XenPorta.

If I can be the first person to put down some changes that I think should be in the rewrite from the ground up to make it easier...

1) Authors - We have Categories but we should also have Authors. This allows us to give credit to content creators. Without quality content creators there's no need for a CMS/Portal. Authors can be added in the same way as categories are and there should be Author pages (like Category pages) where all the promoted content from that Author can be found.

2) Category Page blurbs - Currently we have category pages but there is no blurb to say what the category is about. We could add a customised blurb to each individual category such as 'this is an article section and all articles in this section are blah blah blah'

3) Portal/Category/Author/Article Layouts as easy to find templates - Each layout should have it's own template with template.css where we can have the look and layout of that particular page customised the way we want it. We could customise our Articles page or Portal page, etc.

I cant think of anything else right now but I think the above are basic changes which should be included in the rewrite from the start as it will give us more control over customising the look and feel of XenPorta.
1- in the plans
2- with the new block system I am planning, this will be very easy
3- will figure it out...

1- in the plans
2- with the new block system I am planning, this will be very easy
3- will figure it out...

That's brilliant, I can see XenPorta 2.0 being very popular if you can get number 3 working because it will allow anyone to easily edit the look of XenPorta pages.

Doesn't 1 effectively turn it into a pseudo-blog as well?

It's primary function would be to give credit to content creators. You can already turn something into a blog via XenPorta by tagging it with a category.

For example if I make a Major Category called RobParkers Blog and tag any thread you wish to be in your blog with that category then you have a blog at the Category page for RobParkers Blog

@Jaxel - One important you could have on your list; which has been causing trouble on our site for long time. If the authors use Google Authorship; and another author comments on the article; Google gets confused about who's the real author.

For example, on our site, we've multiple authors who write articles. If author A writes an article, the Google correctly shows his/her photo in the search snippets. However, if author B adds a comment on that article, Google picks up author 'B' as the original author of the article and shows his/her photo in the search snippet.

It'd be nice if you could figure out a way to handle it :)

PS: Can't wait to see XenPorta 2.0. It'd be fantastic if the bigger donors can allow the smaller donors to have beta access :notworthy:

1- in the plans

Dedicated author pages are pretty much pointless and oldish. I have several sites I read news from and I couldn't care less who the authors are. Those pages are not clicked often. All that matters is the content. That being said, filtering for people's articles could simply be accomplished via a tab in their normal profile page.

Dedicated author pages are pretty much pointless and oldish. I have several sites I read news from and I couldn't care less who the authors are. Those pages are not clicked often. All that matters is the content. That being said, filtering for people's articles could simply be accomplished via a tab in their normal profile page.
Disagree... an author block below an article is very important to display an author's fides, as well as their potential issues with full disclosure.

Ive been a pretty happy user of 1.0 for years but ive only one suggestion.. I would like to see the ability for threads pulled from the News Block to be deletable on the portal page without deleting the thread itself inside the forum.. Often i see threads pulled from the block that just have no business on the home page but in the past there was never really much i could do about it..

I disagree. Whilst Author pages may not be the busiest of pages they are an important resource which helps encourage Content Creators by giving them a presence on your site and encouraging them to fill up their pages.

I find someone who has written a single article will write more just to populate their content page

Well, since @Lone Wolf made his wish list, I'll do mine ;)

I think that it would be awesome to be able to stylize every custom portal page in the ACP using new options in the category configurator. A simple text box would be fine. I use categories to centralize differents type of news (Battlefield 4, TitanFall etc...) and at the moment I have to make a new skin in order to change the logo, the background, header etc... People with less than 2 portals are not really bothered but, for people with more than 15 different portals ... it's quite hard to manage ;)

Also, it's impossible to aim for a portal page in CSS because there isn't any way to differentiate them. Is it possible to add a unique ID to each category page in order to be able to stylize them easily if what I told above is too hard or not in your plans? (having both ways would be great too ^^)

Since articles are being displayed a different way than normal forum threads, I think that we should have a way to handle articles creation in every portals without using the forums. This way Articles would be something very different from basic threads. To create Articles, editors would use an editor bar (create articles and maybe more options)

With that kind of thing, a moderation articles page would be nice with every Articles expecting an approval from editor-in-chief and of course an option to schedule them.
I would personally love to have 2 differents things here : Articles and Quick News with custom letter limits :) Quick News wouldn't have that schedule system since they are supposed to be quick news ^^.

I think that we should be able to select the image we want to be displayed in every Block that will display this article. If the first attachment isn't the one you want to be on the front page, there is only one way to change that : deleting every images and reupload them in a proper order and it's very long if you have more than 10 images (or more than 10 articles).

XenRio has Categories, XenMedio has Categories too. Why not making a system to have exactly the same categories here? Of course there will be a priority in them and every XenPorta categories would create a category in every other Jaxel's addon (XenPorta is the master plugin here). With this feature, RecentMedia, LiveStreams and other blocks will be more awesome and useful because at the moment it's impossible to display only one category depending on the portal you are visiting :/ (BF4 Portal => RecentMedia only displays BF4 Medias)

Of course, a better way to handle portal disposition is a must have for XenPorta 2.0 :)

@Jaxel: I think you missed my question last time, so now you have my money I'll ask again. Because I've pledged enough to get branding removal for XenPorta 2, does that license extend back to XenPorta 1.5?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom