Xenforo Review system - Would you invest

Stores do not handle affiliate links / data feeds like reviews systems do. For example jReviews.
But yes, I realize that a good reviews addon will cost. But on the other hand I also know that there is a lot of demand for such addon and the addon will pay for itself in the long run.

I'd be more than happy to lay down the funds with a few other people versus having something that would be open to everyone.

With someone like Bobster65 (not saying he should take this on) but if he did I would have no hesitation in throwing some funds into the pot since i trust this guy to deliver. There are just some people I wouldn't even need to worry about getting the job done (since their track record shows they provide a great service). Customer loyalty is everything (doesn't matter how good of a coder you are) once that trust is broken your rep is as good as being in the ****t-er.

I personally could do with a review system (it's not vital) but i would certainly have a use for it but as stated before the right person developing it with a good track record really needs to take this on. Not those kind of people/devs that start a project and leave things hanging for months then trying to pass their incompetence onto the person who funded and showed faith in them. They're just as bad as thieves in my books (not pointing the finger at anyone).

Trouble is all the good developers are busy with other projects.

With someone like Bobster65 (not saying he should take this on) but if he did I would have no hesitation in throwing some funds into the pot since i trust this guy to deliver. There are just some people I wouldn't even need to worry about getting the job done (since their track record shows they provide a great service). Customer loyalty is everything (doesn't matter how good of a coder you are) once that trust is broken your rep is as good as being in the ****t-er.

I personally could do with a review system (it's not vital) but i would certainly have a use for it but as stated before the right person developing it with a good track record really needs to take this on. Not those kind of people/devs that start a project and leave things hanging for months then trying to pass their incompetence onto the person who funded and showed faith in them. They're just as bad as thieves in my books (not pointing the finger at anyone).

For something like this where multiple people need to fund it I would require a contract no matter what. Someone can back out, or the developer could have something up where they either cannot develop it at a decent pace, or because they can't complete it.

It protects both the funders and the developer, though most people won't bother.

AND.. an Reviewsystem MUSt be in the SAME Thread/Board, not a extra Side with the Boars-Style. The User don't like a extra Side.

I use bevore in another Forum Photoporst, that's a extra Side. The Users don't like that. They need to post here Reviews in the same Board, as a normal answer.

I am also willing to chip in for funding..

My cut down priority functionality ist

• Navigation treeview menu widget to display categories.
  • Reviews should have:
  • Author ratings, with pretty AJAX stars, bars and other pretty rating scales. Author ratings can be turned off.
  • Member ratings. Member ratings can be turned off.
  • Combined rating averages.
  • Rating value should have an alt text. For example: if you choose to have ratings with 1 - 5 stars, then hovering over a 5 star rating could state 'excellent', while hovering over a 1 star rating could stat
  • Admins should be able to define rating questions and custom fields.
  • Images with text wrap and image caption
  • Image carousel or another solution to allow a large number of images to be displayed.
  • Google maps integration. (show/browse all vendors/hotels/restaurants on a map)
  • Product video playing inline (youtube, vimeo, etc)
  • Setting to moderate all edits & content posted by listing owners. (to avoid spam & unwanted content)
  • Permission setting to hide listings not owned by user.
  • Search for restaurants that have specific data in custom fields X, Y and Z.
  • Use rich snippets so that Google will show reviews & ratings
  • GARS importer

This ^ x 2.

I am more then willing to fund a project that actually gets to release, is usable and supported. We spent nearly 4k last year on supporting, donating and paying developers. Out of all that capitol spent, we are using maybe 40% of the mods currently and are getting ready to drop another 10-20% because the developer has vanished or decided to put effort in yet another half baked cash grab. I'm pretty forgiving, being a industry design/programmer in a commercial field product, however I have limits and they are rapidly being exceed regularly.

Count me as another interested in throwing some money into a development pool. I'd be happy to donate a few hundred dollars, if the right developer wanted to take this on...

There are 7 pages full of people who want to have a review addon and are willing to pay for it.
Maybe this thread should be moved to the addon requests forum?

This threads pretty old, how much interest is still here? I'll consider doing it if there's a crowd fund, this is a pretty big project.

@The Sandman ! You should think about investing /fixing that review system with some customization etc on your board and sell it :p

That might seem like a good idea but it probably isn't. The major issue is that it was coded quickly by someone not very familiar with XenForo. It worked, but it was quite primitive without any of the options and controls you might expect it should have. Subsequent XenForo upgrades have broken it, the original coder is not available to support it, and in his own words:
I'd recommend just getting someone who knows XenForo to re-create them. :) I was learning XenForo on the go when I wrote them so the code was pretty awful.
So basically it needs to be recreated from scratch. The only usable thing is the idea itself. TBH, I'm more interested in using the Showcase add on for forum showcasing and reviewing on Admin Extra anyway. Of course the review system was also used for Web Hosting reviews, which actually still works for now - but again TBH this does not really seem to be a very popular feature on AdEx, so I'm not in a hurry to improve it at the current time.

That said, I am doing some investigating, and the resurrection of Admin Extra's Review System may not be out of the question.

Top Bottom