XenForo on 1.2

I don't get this? Makes no sense. Confusing for people.

Anyway, this needs to be tested on a Forum which is not very active.

The questions is:
Will any threads show up when clicking onto "Recent Posts" (as a guest) when there is no activity since the last 1 week or 2 weeks on a Forum which is not very active ?

The trouble at a "not very active" Forum is that it always showed an "Error message" when clicking onto "What's New" when there were no posts for 1 week.

Not sure if this "Recent Posts"-Tab fixes this issue for guests ?

Last edited:
New Posts is based on what is read, and for being logged out, there is not true record of what is or isn't read. Hence, why New Posts only shows for users. Recent posts is much more appropriate for what is available to guests, since their is no dependence on read or unread.

Hello there,

I am seeing "reply_placeholder" instead of "write your reply" or anything ... any idea ?

It checks when an AJAX call happens. I haven't messed with it too much to know when random AJAX calls happen, but its not 'live' where a post is made and you are alerted immediately.

I thought AJAX calls are only made when doing some sort of AJAX interaction, such as liking a post or an auto-saved post draft? I'm not sure if there's a periodic AJAX call.

I think there might be one, but I haven't watched it long enough or studied that part of the code long enough to know for sure or care.

Minor question...

With the "New Posts" wording change, does the "whats_new" phrase still exist but with a different text, has it been removed, or it does it still exist along with a new phrase for the new text?

I'm not complaining nor am suggesting anything! :p I am using the "whats_new" phrase in a couple of different places and am just curious if I should go ahead now and pre-emptively make a unique phrase for those add-ons or if they will still work as-is after 1.2 starts getting released to public users.
And the answer is the phrase "whats_new" still exists in 1.2 but doesn't appear to be being used anywhere. :coffee:

Well, unused phrases aren't strictly a bug - as mentioned, they can be there for BC. But there probably will be a clean up of them sometime during the beta.

New Posts is based on what is read, and for being logged out, there is not true record of what is or isn't read. Hence, why New Posts only shows for users. Recent posts is much more appropriate for what is available to guests, since their is no dependence on read or unread.

Ok this makes sense but is still confusing for people. The average user won't know the difference. Better and more clear to keep it as the same word. I'm not sure what the best phrasing would be but an important part of User Interface Design is to keep things simple and direct for people. If people have to wonder "what's this" and "why is it different" then there's a problem.

Which provider and what is the width?

YouTube block videos below 230px width which contain adverts.

Top Bottom