XenForo - destroyed by vBulletin?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want a software that offers clean layout and basic important features. However everything in this software should be carefully developed and planned. Software should offer flexibility and easy customization options. Currently what i see within XenForo forums exactly fit my needs. Many people know my styles , i always removed lots of vBulletin features and used heavily customized styles just to offer more cleaner layout to my users. XenForo takes clean layout to a new level and offers perfectly planned UI improvements. XenForo is more then i could expected these days.

XenForo is still on early stages however it offers nearly all features that i require. The remaining can be easily developed in short time by developers , mod community or me :)
The best part about XF is not only that it's clean and simple, but (from what the devs have told/shown us) it's easily expandable and customizable, so those who want more can add to it if they want.

The only doubt I have with XenForo -is- the developer and designer community.

I don't know if they'll do much as they did with vBulletin, and release free version, or they'll go for the pay for everything approach. The first will be a large asset to the community, the second could seriously impede any progress.
I can't speak for others but I can say I have big plans for XF already in the works ;) Our first release will be a free one and I'm sure there will be several.

I can't speak for others but I can say I have big plans for XF already in the works ;) Our first release will be a free one and I'm sure there will be several.
Why such a specific date? Are you assuming that XF will be released by then or do you know something?

I hope to see some gaming skins - more notably - a Call of Duty skin.

You're not the one I'm worried about :p.

Some of the other skin designers are less then... Trustworthy? And aren't really concerned with the platform as much as lining their own pockets.

Why such a specific date? Are you assuming that XF will be released by then or do you know something?

There have been hits on the date, mostly teasing by Kier, Mike and Ashley ;p.

vBulletin.org was allowed to spiral out of control. I do not think that will be repeated here.
I usually refrain from being openly critical in public forums but if I may be indulged in this case.... I think the egos of some vB.org staff members spiraling out of control has led to it's current state. Not all will agree with that sentiment, of course, but reading some responses over there it sure feels that way.

There are days that I really miss the 'old' vB.org & vBulletinTemplates.com sites. The vB community had a totally different vibe to it back then. :(

I usually refrain from being openly critical in public forums but if I may be indulged in this case.... I think the egos of some vB.org staff members spiraling out of control has led to it's current state. Not all will agree with that sentiment, of course, but reading some responses over there it sure feels that way.

There are days that I really miss the 'old' vB.org & vBulletinTemplates.com sites. The vB community had a totally different vibe to it back then. :(

It's weird really - it's almost as if they simply don't get online communities, which is not a good thing if you make forum software and interact with your clients almost exclusively via an online community. :confused:

Wow, I am glad that I have sparked such discussion.

To be honest, for those who have not guessed, I wanted to a bit a bit provocative. I actually really like this software and plan to buy it if the price is reasonable. However, I did think that much of the discussion had been about how great the software is (which it is from an end user perspective) and how disillusioned people are with vBulletin.

However, coming to this from the outside, as someone who is planning to set up a forum, it just struck me that people here could all be the converted and represent a tiny percentage of the market. So I thought that I would ask the question. But in case people misunderstood, I do like the software, as I do not have a forum at the moment, I am well placed to be a early adopter.

Maybe those people who say that it does not matter are right. But I guess that would depend on the turnover that Kier expects, and what he thinks the critical mass of adopters needs to be. And what he will do if he does not get it.

Also, like I said, I am quite inexperienced in all this so people can tell me if I am wrong, but I think that success breeds success. So what I mean is that vBulletin has an inherent advantage because they have a community of people who will take a new product and develop other products (etc) which generates success as people have increased functionality. However, if there is not a critical mass behind this software, the other products will not be made, and it will never take off.

So in my mind, this product either:

> Needs to generate enough interest for people to develop the products on its own merits
> Needs to be cheap/free so there a lot of people who use it, and therefore create a community
> Needs to be released with other products already designed.

Anyway, that is my thoughts. Like I said, I think this is a good products. But I do not always think that the best guys win. And I am not sure how well several paid for products can co-exist due to the need for large communities.

But I have to say, that this is ten times better then the current version of vBulletin... that is why I am considering buying it.

Are you aware of a vibrant and active scene of people developing plugins and styles for vBulletin 4?
Yes, but minimal :( The most has stop it.
At least with the majority of add-on makers, whether coders or style makers, that I know (emphasis on "... that I know", I am not implying "all") it would seem that the majority are only working on vB4 upgrades with a feeling that it is something that they 'must do' for their clients as opposed to something that they 'want to do' for themselves. That makes a huge difference. Some of those same people are now involved with XF in one form or another and, based upon what they've seen so far, many of them 'want to do' work with XF. That momentum shift is something that will be very hard for vB to regain.

Very interesting read!

Why is Kier's name replaced with [He Who Shall Not Be Named] throughout that whole article?
Article Vandalism, probably.

Edit: It was done by this person: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:Contributions/69.255.242.121
I reverted the changes. :)

Edit 2: Interesting, they also made many edits to the XenForo Wikipedia page. I'm willing to bet they've visited these forums. Kier, you should look up their IP and give them a good banning. :D

i always removed lots of vBulletin features and used heavily customized styles just to offer more cleaner layout to my users.

Me too! I had to learn how to customize it just for the purpose of ripping out all the clutter. I spent literally months on that part. It's so great to know in advance that I won't be needing to do that with XF.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom