XF 1.4 Xenforo Copyright, Can I edit?

Ablac

Currently the Xenforo Copyright looks like
Code:
Forum software by XenForo™ ©2010-2014 XenForo Ltd.
Which is normally located on the Bottem left of the Xenforo Installation, In an attempt to make my site look cleaner I have been modifying my Footer, and have removed the Buttons in the footer (Contact Us, Help, Home, Top, and the RSS Feed) and moved the Copyright notice to there former location on the Bottem Left.

I am wondering now if I can change the Copyright notice from:
Code:
Forum software by XenForo™ ©2010-2014 XenForo Ltd.
----TO----
Code:
XenForo™ ©2010-2014 XenForo Ltd.

No, I have no intention to remove the copyright notice. But your threatining me is not a professional manner.

I would expect you to be more helpful, but I guess I will look for my rights elsewhere.
And when asking me why I am not so willing to keep the link,
why dont you ask yourself that why are you so willing to keep your link on every forum software you sold?
it is the same reason I want to remove it.

I want to keep the copyright notice, I have no problem with that.
But why I must link out to you is another question.

Again, this attitude, threatining people, is what makes me regret buying this software!

Nobody has been threatening to you. They have linked you to branding removal https://xenforo.com/purchase/ which clearly states the process you would have to undertake to remove the copyright link from your xenforo install. You can purchase Branding removal here. https://xenforo.com/purchase/ as an additional option. The link can be found here https://xenforo.com/purchase/ or here >> https://xenforo.com/purchase/

I would have bought vbulletin instead, but I liked xenforo, and I am happy with it, except for the linking out.
as I said earlier, I have no problem with the copyright notice, as it is not clear in the agreement that a copyright
notice must be a link or not.
it does not change the fact that other softwares have links in the footer. but you can alsways remove them if you want.
they dont trick like xenforo to charge people more anyway

The "proprietary notices" must be left, which includes the copyright and the link. If you wish to remove these, the branding removal must be purchased. Alternatively, via the ticket, you have already been offered a full refund.

I would have bought vbulletin instead
Which also has a copyright message that links to vBulletin.com. And also doesn't infer the format of the copyright message:
1.2 Notices. The Software must contain vBulletin Solutions’ copyright and other proprietary notices that appear on or in the Software, unless a Branding Free License is purchased.

Here is the way it works its actually my specialty, you guys all know way more then me about XF, but business law is where I got my degree.
Here is how it works and this should end any and all debates.

You are buying a product "USE" from XF, and under the Millennium Act, this software and its protections are set in stone.
IT would be exactly the same as buying a Music CD, and then playing it at a concert and putting your own edits in the headlines by XYZ.
You can't do that , you own the "USE" not the product in this case. Take a look at your music CD's and you will fast learn you do not own the
music, just the CD its on with a use license. You do not own the software here at XF, only the place you put it which is 99.9% your domain name-use
in some way.

So to close this out this is a contract case, we all have a contract with XF, in terms its called a license. But in reality it is a contract
and you agree to the terms of it at sale. It is no different then buying a music CD. When you buy a Music CD you pay for use, not to own.
It is also why copying a music CD, or redistributing XF is not allowed and is illegal under the Millennium Act and you will get sued and fined
some even get jail time depending on the product misuse.

Edits to the copyright, are a violation of your contract with XF, I have spend quite a few days in court over simple contracts like this.
If XF would allow any edits, in the future it would also hurt XF, and any allowances would be brought up by a defendant in showing they
contract was open-ended in some way. Its a contract for license "USE" not ownership its that simple.

Thats my 2 pennys.

There is the obvious of course. LOL But some how this thread is by passing obvious it seems.
Personally I think , credit should go where credit is due, but thats just me.

ok, ignorance is the worst thing in the world; in any of my words, I never ever mentioned I want the copyright notice be removed,
just the link pointing to XF.

lets put it this way so everyone can put a smile on their face;

you rent an apartment. the landlord comes and plugs in a power cord to your living room, and lays the cable to his own apartment, and shares the power with you, letting you pay all the bill.
when you oppose it, he says ''shut up, this is my apartment, and you rented it for use only, and the contract says that you need to pay for all the utilities!''
this being the case here, if not the exact same situtation.
would this be legal and would you let him do it?

for those who not only have some sense of humor, but also have some understanding.

end of story for me here...

edit: you can always put a credits page, and link back to XF, not sidewide from footer.

You should be aware of what you are buying. Your comparison really doesn't equate to what is happening here.

The link is part of the copyright statement. Its there for the purposes of advertising. It leads to sales and profit. Allowing them to keep the price of the product lower. Its an Industry standard practice in software of this type. It seems you would rather them increase the price of the software in lieu of free advertising and allow people the choice of displaying it or not for free.

The linking isn't anything more - if I remember correctly - than a way for Xenforo.com to verify the authenticity of your license. It does not come with any monetization by Xenforo, but is instead merely for their protection against piracy. I totally get what you are trying to say, @Muhtefi , but I think you are looking at the linking in a different light than its intended use. This isn't like an Amazon linkback where one or the other end users is monetizing something, it's a failsafe against piracy.

edit: And possibly analytics, but I couldn't confirm that.

The linking isn't anything more - if I remember correctly - than a way for Xenforo.com to verify the authenticity of your license. It does not come with any monetization by Xenforo, but is instead merely for their protection against piracy. I totally get what you are trying to say, @Muhtefi , but I think you are looking at the linking in a different light than its intended use. This isn't like an Amazon linkback where one or the other end users is monetizing something, it's a failsafe against piracy.

edit: And possibly analytics, but I couldn't confirm that.

It's not about link monetization. Its advertising to potential customers who have the question "what is this powered by". Id have get on my desktop and look but I don't think the link has any identifier to it. I doubt any anyipiracy method is intended either. There is only one thing that separates 2 licenses prior to install. Anyone who has 2 can run a differential to know but telling you would get me slapped hard. Ive heard talk there is a method for checking sites for potential piracy even that I forget what was being looked at.

As far as analytics go your server logs can see what site a link was referred from. Anything linking to xenforo.com is logged and useful to see where traffic is coming from. If the link was a little more unique to see it was coming from the copyright you could compile the usefulness of the link for advertising.

Top Bottom