XF 2.1 Xenforo copyright 2020

"people" understand, that 2019 in copyrights makes visitors feel that their sites are abandoned and not supported/updated anymore.

In that case why don't people put 2020 for their site. xenForo is not responsible for your site's content copyright notice, only for their software copyright notice

For the reasons already stated numerous times - it's not correct.

Frankly I don't care what year is indicated in copyrights. As far as I know, the law protects, not the sentence in a footer.
I just stumbled on this thread and didn't like that people who want their forums to look updated, are being presented as some psychos who are scared that their content will be stolen. )

no, "people" are not as stupid as you describe. )
"people" understand, that 2019 in copyrights makes visitors feel that their sites are abandoned and not supported/updated anymore.
"people" don't like it, because they don't like to loose their potential customers.
2020 in xenforo copyrights proves this. ;)

If "people" weren't ignorant to what the XenForo software copyright stood for you would not care about it. Then you go to say "visitors feel their sites are abandoned" - are visitors not people?

2020 in XenForo copyright here on XenForo.com is only because it has updates from 2020 already included that have not been released yet.

I originally said you should be adding a copyright notice for your site as a whole, that is the one that should change on Jan. 1 every year.

Not sure how to explain it any better.

I don't know if this will work on a standard xenForo forum but I have the following displayed...

1579388374291.webp

To add your own find the phrase:
extra_copyright

ACP: Appearance>Search Phrases

Then in 'Phrase text' add the following:

<br>
Content © Your_domain.com 2(startyear)-<script type="text/javascript">
var today = new Date()
var year = today.getFullYear()
document.write(year)
</script>, all rights reserved

It's a while since I did it but it should work :)

no, "people" are not as stupid as you describe. )
"people" don't like it, because they don't like to loose their potential customers.
2020 in xenforo copyrights proves this. ;)
If somebody is worried about 'losing customers' over something like what year is shown in the copyright of a footer then their is a better solution available than arguing about whether or not it should say "2019" or "2020"

1579414393465.webp

For all of you adding copyright text to your forum, have you actually officially copyrighted it?

If not ...

At least in the US, you don't have to file for copyright protection. It makes it a lot easier during disputes but isn't required. It also isn't required to display a copyright notice to have work copyrighted, that went away in 1989.

"people" who understand the copywrite is based on the release date of the version of the software they are running also understand releases aren't timed for January 1 to ensure the copyright date is updated.

We may see 2.1.7 in June - who knows. People who understand software understand you don't do software releases just to maintain a current date.

At least in the US, you don't have to file for copyright protection. It makes it a lot easier during disputes but isn't required. It also isn't required to display a copyright notice to have work copyrighted, that went away in 1989.

This is the same in the UK and the EU AFAIK

Copyright exists once the "work" is created. No need to formally register it. The important point is about proving your ownership if there is a dispute.

A copyright notice could help in a court, if the defendant claims "but I didn't know it was copyright, I saw nothing to indicate that it wasn't public domain."

And if there is a notice the date is useful.

In the old (pre-digital) days a copyright was proveable once a work (e.g. a piece of writing) was published. So if I wrote a poem and it was published in a book available to the public in 1989, that is my copyright.

Someone then writes a poem ripping mine off I take them to court. My (extremely expensive) barrister will show my book dated 1989 and ask the defendant to show them their published book with a date before 1989.

On a more amateur level this could be done by posting the poem to yourself via registered post. The post mark and signature would prove the date of postage, and the envelope would need to be opened in court in front of the judge, who could then ask the defendant to offer proof of writing to poem before that date.

If you think the day will come when you actually need to enforce your copyright, as opposed to just having it, then it'd be best to register it.

This may be true of digital copyright as opposed to physical, because physical copyright is easy to prove based on the physical published media.

But who is going to "officially" copyright every post or thread on their forum as it happens?

But who is going to "officially" copyright every post or thread on their forum as it happens?
Nobody has to but if people are sticking "copyright" notices in their footers because it thinks it'll offer them legal protection then they should be fully aware that, if push-comes-to-shove, it ends up before a judge then they'll likely lose.

Top Bottom