XF 2.1 Xenforo copyright 2020

I don’t think so, the copyright year relates to when the software was released, so in the case of the version you are running that is 2019. It has been this way from the start.

By the way, the topic is relevant, I really would like the date to be updated not with the update, but with real time. This would be correct from many points of view. Copyright did not end in 2019, it continues to operate in this period of time, and now 2020.

By the way, the topic is relevant, I really would like the date to be updated not with the update, but with real time. This would be correct from many points of view. Copyright did not end in 2019, it continues to operate in this period of time, and now 2020.

People think the XenForo copyright notice is for their website in general, it isn't. It is just for the XenForo Software which as mentioned above was last updated in 2019, so it is covered by the current copyright notice.

To protect your actual site content from copyright infringement you should have another copyright notice covering your entire website in general. Which for a fluently changing forum site should automatically switch to the new year when it arrives. This could be something XenForo could add as an option for admins, to be able to turn on an additional copyright notice for the site which automatically updates at the beginning of the year, but it would need to be requested.

Well, we are talking about Xenforo's © statement, so I guess it's up to them. Has nothing to do with your content.

If you want to issue a © statement of your own for your company/site, then plop it onto the page.

what does a 2020 software package mean? Why is everyone so concerned about Xenforo’s copyright dates?
Well... other users in on this thread are saying its because its a 2019 package running on our forums that the date is 2019, whereas here on xenforo the date is 2020 so does that mean its a new or beta update installed here for it to become 2020 if you follow, it is just that its 2020 and maybe folk think visitors think the forum is out of date?

Dragonbytes notice updated automagically on my forum yet I never installed anything new, so why does it not update automatically when the year starts.

Just looks nicer I suppose LOL

whereas here on xenforo the date is 2020 so does that mean its a new or beta update installed here
The version installed on this site is immediately increased when a new version is released.

That then becomes the active development version and will be continually updated until the next public release.

Ah - I see the 2020 on the Community site here. No idea - I doubt they run a beta version for the production site.

I’m on the latest and greatest 2.1.6 or whatever and it says 2019, which is fine with me. Don’t really pay much attention to it. A copyright statement on the internet is meaningless anyhow. Want my site, you can download the whole thing. I can’t stop anyone from doing that or taking the content and posting it elsewhere. “2020” isn’t going to stop them.

so why does it not update automatically when the year starts.

This was already answered. The copyright notice shows the copyright of the software, not of the forum content. It is there to protect the copyright.

xenForo do this correctly. If other software want to use a date that is later than then date of their actual copyright, that is up to them.
Ah - I see the 2020 on the Community site here. No idea - I doubt they run a beta version for the production site.

Why not? They often have a later version here than is the current public production version. So if it now says 2020 it means they are running an update from Jan, e.g. something like 2.1.7

Technically, we do. This site is generally always running the latest code so technically this site is running XF 2.1.7.

1579282925385.webp

Obviously there will be many more changes to XF 2.1.7 before it is ready for release, but the changes we have made since the release of XF 2.1.6 (including the copyright date change) are already running here.

People think the XenForo copyright notice is for their website in general, it isn't.

no, "people" are not as stupid as you describe. )
"people" understand, that 2019 in copyrights makes visitors feel that their sites are abandoned and not supported/updated anymore.
"people" don't like it, because they don't like to loose their potential customers.
2020 in xenforo copyrights proves this. ;)

Top Bottom