XF 1.4 Xenforo Copyright, Can I edit?

Ablac

Currently the Xenforo Copyright looks like
Code:
Forum software by XenForo™ ©2010-2014 XenForo Ltd.
Which is normally located on the Bottem left of the Xenforo Installation, In an attempt to make my site look cleaner I have been modifying my Footer, and have removed the Buttons in the footer (Contact Us, Help, Home, Top, and the RSS Feed) and moved the Copyright notice to there former location on the Bottem Left.

I am wondering now if I can change the Copyright notice from:
Code:
Forum software by XenForo™ ©2010-2014 XenForo Ltd.
----TO----
Code:
XenForo™ ©2010-2014 XenForo Ltd.

How can there possibly be any confusion?

To quote the license once more...

You said they can't add Proudly Using (or whatever) in front of the copyright correct? Even if its not altering the copyright? Thats where my personal confusion is. No alteration at all would occur to the copyright.

A potential example of what a user might do, Before:
Code:
<div id="copyright">{xen:helper copyright} {xen:phrase extra_copyright}</div>
<xen:hook name="footer_after_copyright" />

After:
Code:
<div id="statement">Powered By</div>
<div id="copyright">{xen:helper copyright} {xen:phrase extra_copyright}</div>
<xen:hook name="footer_after_copyright" />

Chris is correct in his argument that the effect is undesirable for the license issuer (Xenforo Ltd). You say you can do anything you want as long as it doesn't alter the copyright. But I am pretty sure you have already said the above would not be acceptable. I was just seeing if there was any clarification there. Though honestly as a moderator you can really only quote the license, its not your place to say that's okay unless its obviously okay.

It's not worth any further argument from me. I was just checking for the sake of discussion.

To me that hasn't altered the copyright text and Brogan agrees:
View attachment 82598

The problem is it comes down to css styling. Styled above its okay. Styled to the left, not so clear? The reason it wouldn't be clear to me is your not touching the copyright div, its contents or altering the styling of either. As you argue the visual effect is still unacceptable and personally I would accept that.

Your old copyright is physically in a separate div placed below. Styled to the right:
upload_2014-9-2_5-11-16.webp
So the above example the css could place the separate above div to the left.

Last edited:
Before the conversation goes too stale, I just wanted to highlight:
All copies of the Software must contain the same proprietary notices that appear on and in the Software, including all copyright notices embedded in the Software, which must remain unaltered from the original and visible at all times, unless by specific prior arrangement with XenForo Limited.
I guess you could always seek a prior arrangement, but for all the hassle it's worth, I guess not altering is just the simplest option. I want people to know which software I'm using, because I am proud to use it.

That clause usually relates to the branding free license, I believe. Which would be classed as a specific prior arrangement.

There may be some discretion but I doubt it.

Can anyone explain to me why I should linkback to Xenforo with a dofollow footer links for free, while they are not giving away their software for free?

I want to at least remove the link, the copyright can stay there? and I am asking for a urgent help here since I bought the license and you have to provide me support.

Fair enough!
Ok then, who's going to pay me for linking out to you?

you can replace your brand, but you cannot force people to link out to you

this is against Google TOS, and if I cant resolve it with you, then I will contact Google
to resolve this issue, as footer linking is degrading websites, and every SEO in this business knows about it.

Upon purchasing the product, you agreed to the License Agreement and decided not to purchase the $250 additional extra that would allow you to remove the link. No one forced that upon you, that was your decision to make.

You will be able to take it up directly with XenForo by creating a ticket from the Customer Area. Though I wouldn't expect that would get you very far.

Fair enough!
Ok then, who's going to pay me for linking out to you?

you can replace your brand, but you cannot force people to link out to you

this is against Google TOS, and if I cant resolve it with you, then I will contact Google
to resolve this issue, as footer linking is degrading websites, and every SEO in this business knows about it.

Nobody is going to pay you. You automatically agreed to the terms when you made the purchase. Done deal. Branding free option is available for a small fee.

All copies of the Software must contain the same proprietary notices that appear on and in the Software, including all copyright notices embedded in the Software, which must remain unaltered from the original and visible at all times, unless by specific prior arrangement with XenForo Limited.

it says copyright notices, not external links, and I know what copyright notice is. the agreement is clear,
dont just try to fool people with word games please. everyone know that its not legal to force people to link out to you

it says copyright notices, not external links, and I know what copyright notice is. the agreement is clear,
dont just try to fool people with word games please. everyone know that its not legal to force people to link out to you

No, there is absolutely no trickery or word games going on. Your clearly reading and coming to your own brand of conclusion. https://xenforo.com/purchase/ Screenshot_2.webp

It's made quite clear that additional purchase has to be made. It's also the top option and clearly states in the title that it's an "EXTRA" meaning not a service included upon purchasing xenforo.

Edit: It's just like the Resource Manager is an EXTRA, not an add-on that automatically comes with the core product. It's an additional product you have the choice of purchasing.

You still do the same thing, even though you say the opposite.

I am not talking about copyright notice, I am talking about the DOFOLLOW LINK to xenforo.com
they are both completely different. I dont want to remove the copyright notice, I want to remove the link.
Or you dont know what a copyright notice and a link is.

Again, you weren't forced. You agreed to the terms of the License Agreement and so far you haven't paid the branding removal fee.

It is you who is now playing word games. A copyright notice does not infer what format that notice is in. A copyright notice can be formatted how one sees is appropriate and in the case of XenForo that is a link back to the software author's website.

It is also generally expected that a copyright message would be a link as demonstrated by most commercial forum packages including IP.board, vBulletin and Burning Board.

Why are you so against a link being there anyway? You're wrong about it being illegal, by the way, I expect your perception of why a link is bad is also erroneous.

You still do the same thing, even though you say the opposite.

I am not talking about copyright notice, I am talking about the DOFOLLOW LINK to xenforo.com
they are both completely different. I dont want to remove the copyright notice, I want to remove the link.
Or you dont know what a copyright notice and a link is.

Yes, part of the copyright. Thus Copyright. Branding removal is available to you as an additional option. #rinse&repeat. https://xenforo.com/purchase/

No, I have no intention to remove the copyright notice. But your threatining me is not a professional manner.

I would expect you to be more helpful, but I guess I will look for my rights elsewhere.
And when asking me why I am not so willing to keep the link,
why dont you ask yourself that why are you so willing to keep your link on every forum software you sold?
it is the same reason I want to remove it.

I want to keep the copyright notice, I have no problem with that.
But why I must link out to you is another question.

Again, this attitude, threatining people, is what makes me regret buying this software!

No one is threatening you.

why dont you ask yourself that why are you so willing to keep your link on every forum software you sold?
I haven't sold any forum software, I'm just a user of the forum software. I keep the branding message and link on my forum software because I decided I didn't want to pay to remove any part of it. So my question still remains unanswered? What is the problem having a link to the author's website?

But why I must link out to you is another question.
It is part of the copyright notice, that is why.

Top Bottom