XenForo Cloud discussion

There are no immediate plans for this to be done on a wider scale and you shouldn't read too much into the due diligence checks we're performing on add-ons in the hosting environment.

We're not scrutinising quality or functional code. It is predominantly about maintaining a secure environment.

Any chance of there being a dirt cheap package for the sole purpose of testing add-ons with the cloud version? I have no intention of switching from self-hosted but for testing add-ons it might be nice to have access to an XF Cloud install (so when somebody asks if XYZ add-on will work we'll know). Or will there be any type of time-limited XF Cloud demo installs available for testing that would allow add-on testing?

Will there be provision for users who wish to run jobs/tasks via server based trigger instead of activity based?
There's a few options that we control entirely in the Cloud environment so all jobs run via a server based trigger. You cannot actually use the activity based trigger.

Any chance of there being a dirt cheap package for the sole purpose of testing add-ons with the cloud version? I have no intention of switching from self-hosted but for testing add-ons it might be nice to have access to an XF Cloud install (so when somebody asks if XYZ add-on will work we'll know). Or will there be any type of time-limited XF Cloud demo installs available for testing that would allow add-on testing?
Nope. Most add-ons will work without question just like they will on every other server. The sticking point - which applies to the add-on @Xon mentioned earlier - is anything that requires modifying files or even src/config.php because there is no way to access, view or edit files on a cloud install. That said, I believe there is a solution in place to workaround the config.php requirement so it's a moot point in that case.

We're really talking a diminishingly small number of add-ons so there doesn't need to be a question of "will this work" because 999 times out of 1000 it almost certainly will.

There's a few other examples too. Anything that adds new CLI commands can't be used because cloud customers don't have shell access either so those commands can't be run :)

I think I asked about this a while ago but can’t find it…

How would one upload images that don’t have specific properties in the style options? For example, I switch images around inside custom widgets often. I usually just put them at /images/image.jpeg.

There’s nothing that can do that at the moment but it has been under discussion. We think there will be a reasonable solution in the near future.

Will there be an option to have a sandbox site to allow testing before upgrades take place on the live site? Right now I have a dev site and live site, would this be possible in XenForo Cloud?
This is definitely something we have in mind, at least for major upgrades but not an immediate thing we’ll have available at launch.

But you will have control over when upgrades - major and minor - are applied. This will allow you to defer upgrades until you have some degree of certainty that add-ons and styles you depend on have been updated to work for the new version.

The entire idea sounds very appealing to me. I'm likely the ideal customer - my current XF server stuff is supported by someone else, but I am the functional forum admin, and an ex-developer as well, from back in the day of Netware networks and dBase/FoxPro programs. I've hesitated to have my own XF install because it would be a headache to me to either get up to speed on server-side things or outsource that. This sounds great to me.

I have one question at the moment - I see, in the ACP, facility for having users pay for upgrades but I have never used that in the XF forum I administer. How would that work in the cloud version? And if the answer is, "the same as in the regular version," then please give a brief explanation or point me to where one exists, please. I am envisioning something in my locale where most users would be free but there would be a pay option for professional members who wished to make their services known to the community. Something like xxx per month or per year in exchange for having your own section of the forum, or similar.

Thanks in advance for your replies.

-S-

The entire idea sounds very appealing to me. I'm likely the ideal customer - my current XF server stuff is supported by someone else, but I am the functional forum admin, and an ex-developer as well, from back in the day of Netware networks and dBase/FoxPro programs. I've hesitated to have my own XF install because it would be a headache to me to either get up to speed on server-side things or outsource that. This sounds great to me.

I have one question at the moment - I see, in the ACP, facility for having users pay for upgrades but I have never used that in the XF forum I administer. How would that work in the cloud version? And if the answer is, "the same as in the regular version," then please give a brief explanation or point me to where one exists, please. I am envisioning something in my locale where most users would be free but there would be a pay option for professional members who wished to make their services known to the community. Something like xxx per month or per year in exchange for having your own section of the forum, or similar.

Thanks in advance for your replies.

-S-
“The same as the regular version” 🙂

Anyone wishing to upgrade their account would be able to purchase the upgrade from the Account upgrades section which appears once you have set a user upgrade up in the admin control panel.

Upon purchasing an upgrade they can be added to a particular user group. That user group could give them permissions to post in a particular forum that otherwise a user would be unable to post in.

So certainly possible. If you have further questions a new thread would be better as this is a feature that works in either self hosted or cloud installs so somewhat beyond the scope of this thread.

I have zero interest in this except for this fear. My fear is that you'll move to a cloud only version and self hosted will become unavailable.

I have zero interest in this except for this fear. My fear is that you'll move to a cloud only version and self hosted will become unavailable.

Ghost one of the most successful newsletter and blog CMS out there is open source, can be self hosted, but offer a managed option.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Xenforo could be no different from this, and maintain self hosted clients and managed ones, incrementing revenue, offering better services and features for both of them.

I suspect XF is preparing for an IPO and XF cloud was created to appeal to investors, in a few months XF will be reduced to XF cloud and all our communities will be forced to migrate to this new concept ! This plan is perfect and devilish ! 👿

Top Bottom