XenForo Beta6, very disappointed

Status
Not open for further replies.
I still think the whole signature issues would be solved if registered users could select someones member card by clicking on their avatar and selecting an option for signature: Display or :No display. It makes intuitive sense. If you are going to tell people what their signature is, why don't you just make a post for them. Some people use the images to identify people ( People change their avatar as often as their sig and there isn't enough ginko biloba in the world that will help my memory) so I suggest to all that you keep more than your preference in mind. This silly argument over what a signature is for is a bit tedious. option display or do not display done. Everyone is happy, no one can complain. You don't like my sig don't display it, simple as that. I suggested this before in the way of a mute button.

Complaining about someones sig is quite rude. I don't go to your house and call you fat while your eating. Nor do I go to a users posts and say hey posting links to addons you made is dumb because I can just go search the addon section if I need one. That doesn't sound to self centered does it? Frivolous arguments like this slow things down while people try to force their wants on others.

I assume you're making use of the li[author="Ignore This Person"] CSS that I put in for specifically that function?
How about a "Ingnore this signatue" function? Have a "Hide sig" button or link (faded in on roll-over??) somewhere in the sig or below it and with one click the sig is faded to a "see hidden sig" Link. I'd love to click some of these sigs away.;) Not sure how that could be saved for future reference (other page views, log out and log back in later and still have ignored sigs). It could be considere bloat. I don't know.

I guess forum owners could also just make some rules to control sig size and type and enforce them.:)

xenDach

Well sorry to all you nay sayers but a great number of members of a lot of forums i have been a member of are of the opinion that ALL forums should give the user the choice of having or not having a signature pic.

I am a member of a forum now that insists you have a signature pic.

Not all forum members and Adminst like them BUT, the option should be available.

If you dont want signature pics on your forum, TURN THEM OFF but dont speak for every member of every forum out there..

I purchased xenforo with the belief that i and my members could easily add a signature pic, like VB and IPB now i find i cant without a lot of messing around and time wasting for me. :(:(

I purchased xenforo with the belief that i and my members could easily add a signature pic, like VB and IPB now i find i cant without a lot of messing around and time wasting for me. :(:(
What do you mean by this?
Adding an image to a signature is a simple matter of embedding it from a URL.

Can you clarify your statement?

Hi Brogan.
Adding an image to a signature is a simple matter of embedding it from a URL.

Yep I know that and you know that but....

My forum will be all things fotography. They know a lot about cameras and pictures but i doubt many of them will know how or where to upload a signature pic or link it so i will get stuck with the job re-sizing it and uploading it and explaining how to link it. Lets hope i dont get too many members :(

Who knows how many times i will have to change it when they take a pic that they want in the signature

Hey, Where is the Quote Button ???

I find your argument invalid.

If a guy can operate a complex camera with buttons that don't explain themselves, with settings that are not logical to newbies, and with a lcd menu and computer software to process it with many tools, settings, options, values, and abbreviations.

SURELY

These wonderful people can go to their account dropdown > signature > and press the icon that looks like an image, to link to an image.

If they can upload it to Flickr, they can figure out how to use even simpler software. Combine the two, and you can use the Flickr link in the signature.

It always upsets me quite when those sort of statements are made.

What kind of professional camera guy are you if you get a point and shoot and set it to 'auto' and go to a store to print it and do nothing with it.

Surely they do so so so much more with their hardware and software to get some great stories captured on film.

That going 'oh that looks like an ima.. yeh, that's the image insert button - oh remote link? hm.. i can use ANY online image? well .. copy/paste. DONE'.

Not to mention they can just click on >HELP > BB Codes

Thats the point Floris.
They are not all professional camera guys. A lot of the local camera club members and other clubs we have been to are aged people that never owned a computer till they got a point and shoot camera.
A lot of them that own SLR cameras use the green point and shoot and have no idea how to use the settings.
The camera does it all for them same as a forum should allow for easy uploading and linking to a signature pic :)

How do they figure out mounting the cam via usb and which program to use, or how to connect the card reader and import the sd card, etc?

Thats the point Floris.
They are not all professional camera guys. A lot of the local camera club members and other clubs we have been to are aged people that never owned a computer till they got a point and shoot camera.
A lot of them that own SLR cameras use the green point and shoot and have no idea how to use the settings.
The camera does it all for them same as a forum should allow for easy uploading and linking to a signature pic :)

It's very easy step why don't you make a Video guide How to Add Signature,Avatar ...I guess they will understand that .

Oh come on. These days windows will mount your camera as soon as you plug it in like it does with mine.
SLRs have a card and 99% of computers these days have card readers built in.

Oh why bother....

Ok lets forget i posted about it.

If it turns out to be too hard for any of my members i will put my xenforo on ice and go back to using VB

I wouldn't have thought it would have been hard to program in a pic up loader and to link to it for a signature.

Oh come on. These days windows will mount your camera as soon as you plug it in like it does with mine.
SLRs have a card and 99% of computers these days have card readers built in.

Oh why bother....

Ok lets forget i posted about it.

If it turns out to be too hard for any of my members i will put my xenforo on ice and go back to using VB

I wouldn't have thought it would have been hard to program in a pic up loader and to link to it for a signature.

Yeah, no need to drag on the comparison. Our point simply is: you wish the user could figure out they could click the upload, to host on the db locally, vs clicking the bbcode img to remote host it. My point is that yes, while it would be nice. It's not too difficult too learn, basically as easy as figuring out how to get imgs from a cam into a system and on flickr. etc.

I believe the sig editor should be the same as the post editor with same the ability to also upload images to the local server and not have "just" embedded URLs, with the only difference being a set of separate rules for regulating what can go into a sig, i.e. number of lines of text and size of images, number of images, only images can be uploaded, etc. Not everyone understands how embedding HTML or even links for that matter work. I'd even go as far to say, the vast majority of users don't and just expecting them to know isn't proper UI. Either you have to explain it to them or make the system so simple, understandable and usable, there isn't any explanation necessary.

I'd also like to see the ability to add images to conversations the same way too. Basically, the editor should be the same anywhere you can add text to the system, just with different rules as to what can be done.

xenDach

Wasn't one of the biggest things against vB that they tried to please so many people that it turned into bloatware? And one of the praises for XF is that it's smooth, clean and fast?

Give them the chance to make their product! If these suggestions aren't implemented in release, then someone will make an addon and you can download/add what you want.
Amen to that. XenForo, please do not follow the same path other forum software delivered out there.
The best model to follow is Community Forum. They have a very clean product, with many available add-ons that people can install if they want. Please keep XenForo clean. It is simply ridiculous to see how many "features" are requested, that are not needed at all. If a feature is needed, please release a product for it, so only people who actually need it can install it and slow their forums as they please.

There really should be an upload sig pic. Doesnt seem like its too hard to do, not sure why people are against this. We should all be trying to make things like this easier for our members. Its not an issue for me, but I can see where willie is coming from.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom