XenForo Beta6, very disappointed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another happy customer here, keep up the good work guys. The lightbox is great and a few of my forum users already commented the post edit is much better now. aka faster to fix your mistakes. :P

Speaking for me personally, I hate signature graphics, so an uploader to make it easier for someone to clog up my view of post content with repeated signature images is not near the top of my priority list. Mike may feel differently.

All that said, it would be a relatively simple add-on for someone to put together if they considered that there is sufficient demand.

Thats why theres things like resize restrictions so it doesnt look too large on peoples screens, I notice many in here say they dont like them personally but considering their members are uploading them it is obvious they like them and perhaps we should be thinking about what they like not what administrators like. My girlfriend owns a pregnancy and parenting community and that feature is needed on her website, her members think its stupid how you need to go elsewhere to upload one and she is regretting ever converting from vb to this with things like this being missing and it may be beta but by now you would think such a simple feature would be here. Everyones attitudes are "I personally dont like this" so its probably not going to be implemented anytime soon is not very reassuring and seems that the software is being created based on what administrators and yourselves like when the forum software is ultimately for the members of the community and not one person who wants to upload an image wants to go elsewhere to do so and is inconvenient which you all know.

If things remain like this when it goes gold then we certainly wont be using the software for very long and you may not care for criticism because you believe your personal opinions are correct but I can see things going downhill because of it. Never mind though, we will just have to check back when the software goes gold to make a final decision and I hope that members suggestions no matter how small they are or how much theyre not liked personally are put into serious consideration especially when theyre bog standard in other paid softwares, you would expect to see it and perhaps give admins an option to turn it off if they dont like the feature. I would hardly consider this feature "bloat" as I have seen others say recently about adding features.

An easy workaround for this in the meantime is to create a thread where people can upload an image.
Then embed that image in their signature using the standard IMG tags.

Yes, it's not what you're asking for but it does at least keep the images on your server.

Thats why theres things like resize restrictions so it doesnt look too large on peoples screens, I notice many in here say they dont like them personally but considering their members are uploading them it is obvious they like them and perhaps we should be thinking about what they like not what administrators like. My girlfriend owns a pregnancy and parenting community and that feature is needed on her website, her members think its stupid how you need to go elsewhere to upload one and she is regretting ever converting from vb to this with things like this being missing and it may be beta but by now you would think such a simple feature would be here. Everyones attitudes are "I personally dont like this" so its probably not going to be implemented anytime soon is not very reassuring and seems that the software is being created based on what administrators and yourselves like when the forum software is ultimately for the members of the community and not one person who wants to upload an image wants to go elsewhere to do so and is inconvenient which you all know.

If things remain like this when it goes gold then we certainly wont be using the software for very long and you may not care for criticism because you believe your personal opinions are correct but I can see things going downhill because of it. Never mind though, we will just have to check back when the software goes gold to make a final decision and I hope that members suggestions no matter how small they are or how much theyre not liked personally are put into serious consideration especially when theyre bog standard in other paid softwares, you would expect to see it and perhaps give admins an option to turn it off if they dont like the feature. I would hardly consider this feature "bloat" as I have seen others say recently about adding features.

Michael, I have built an uploader that can be used for that...I will be posting today as I have finally overcome my coding writers block and though not all my desired functionality has been included as of yet...the roadblock holding me back is now bypassed.

Just tell me what file extensions you want and I can make you an uploader for images only or you can wait till I post the full one and edit the php yourself. But either way just trying to throw yah another option. Pm me if you want a custom one, other than that either ignore it or wait for me to post later today :)
Try it out here, this can be manipulated to fit any page or even a sidebar widget which is one of the two next steps for me.
prup.webp
upper.webp

I think it would be awesome if users were forced to have very large signature images. The more pointless the better.

Because signatures with your favorite quote or a tastefully Photoshopped image of some actor/actress who gives you a boner are so very important in the context of a threaded conversation! Especially when the same image appears 15 times in the same thread. Some would call that redundant, to them I can only say, balderdash!

Special preference should be given to amazing, 3D Photoshop creations that use Comic Sans or any script font to publicize a URL or name.

I think it would be awesome if users were forced to have very large signature images. The more pointless the better.

Because signatures with your favorite quote or a tastefully Photoshopped image of some actor/actress who gives you a boner are so very important in the context of a threaded conversation! Especially when the same image appears 15 times in the same thread. Some would call that redundant, to them I can only say, balderdash!

Special preference should be given to amazing, 3D Photoshop creations that use Comic Sans or any script font to publicize a URL or name.
...so your saying you want bigger...

+5 for mjp.. the most a signature should be is 2 'text' lines (small font) maximum.. anything more is simply annoying and I turn my "Show people's signatures with their messages" off immediately!

This is great thanks so much EQnoble!

I've never allowed image signatures. Their primary goal is to distract in my eyes and offer zero benefits to a forum. 3 lines maximum and that is the limit on any forum I run.

Thats what I mean, at least you were given a choice to disallow them whereas with the default xenforo were sending our members elsewhere to upload them which really puts people off adding one. People run their forums in different ways and the niches and requirements are different too and this is what I feel should be taken into account when considering something like this.

Yes, big images in sigs are annoying to me too. They break up the flow of reading considerably. Some signature images can cause some of the smart and professional look in a design to be lost and I really don't think that should be underestimated. First impressions are very important, especially with todays more and more finicky web users.

xenDach

[ot]
I'm using some greasmonkey scripts to hide the signatures if the admins don't allow to hide them^^

I've also created a script which hides the posts of some special users here (ignore function^^)
[/ot]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom