Xenforo 2 to 3 years behind vB??

user notes
Agreed. And they should not be specific to the Admin who left them, but instead shared among all admins/mods so that notes can be left about troublesome members, or reminders about customers.
There is no kludge-free Table bbCode implementation. It's simply too complex an HTML/CSS concept to codify into a few buttons. I have HTML enabled for Admins (and this should be a built-in feature btw!).
I've posted about this elsewhere, but what most forum administrators have found is: once they turn on Blogs for all their members, a few people tentatively try it out, but the actual percentage of users who post more than a Hello message is less than 0.1%. Writing interesting, consistent blog content takes a talent far beyond typical forum posting. You will provide a far superior user experience and less administrative work load if you instead install Wordpress or other Blog platform and then invite writers to apply to you for an account. Decent authors will come forward, join your team, and instead of getting lost in the shuffle of a sea of one-post blogs, they will be featured on the front page of your website, writing great content for you.
I've always been puzzled why XenForo (and other forums) don't just include a real Albums feature. It seems like it wouldn't be that much of an extra development cost beyond what is already required to handle attachments, moderation, and posts. All the systems are there, they just need to be tied together.
navigation tab manager
Agreed 100%.
edit thread title
Didn't XenForo 1.2 add this?
delete conversation
Leave the conversation and it goes away.
open the quick reply editor at the end of the thread
I don't understand.
forum icons
Possible now with a trivial CSS edit.
mobile apps
XenForo has a reactive style and does not need a mobile app.

Reactions: DBA
I've always been puzzled why XenForo (and other forums) don't just include a real Albums feature. It seems like it wouldn't be that much of an extra development cost beyond what is already required to handle attachments, moderation, and posts. All the systems are there, they just need to be tied together.
If you knew how much work was involved in developing such a feature, you wouldn't consider it such a trivial task.

As someone who has developed such a system as an add-on to XenForo, that is an extremely ignorant comment.

EDIT: A bit of context may be useful as to how much work it takes to "tie it all together".

Xen Media Gallery has over 200 templates. Over 1200 phrases. 20 database tables. Over 150 PHP files. Nearly 100 different permissions. I wouldn't even like to estimate the number of lines of code. So, hopefully that answers your puzzlement as to "why".

Last edited:
Please look at XenForo 1.2 released in July 2013, and XenForo 1.3 due to release this month. In one year, we've seen two point releases which include many of the addons and features people have been requesting. The team have listened to customers, communicated their immediate plans, and clearly documented new features with video tutorials and pictorals, all while maintaining the quality and stability of the software without weakening the flexible modern OOP MVC architecture.

And that's why I love XF, besides some lack of functionality and don't intend to move :D

I think everyone more or less agrees in this point, but it dos not exclude some positive criticism. If XF in it's version 1.3 already has all this, you can imagine what we'll have in XF 2, if we all keep doing our jobs (as developers ans customers)? Very nice future.

As someone who has developed such a system as an add-on to XenForo, that is an extremely ignorant comment.

EDIT: A bit of context may be useful as to how much work it takes to "tie it all together".

Xen Media Gallery has over 200 templates. Over 1200 phrases. 20 database tables. Over 150 PHP files. Nearly 100 different permissions. I wouldn't even like to estimate the number of lines of code. So, hopefully that answers your puzzlement as to "why".

I just counted :D

Not by hand. I ran out of fingers and toes:

upload_2014-3-4_16-46-46.webp

You will provide a far superior user experience and less administrative work load if you instead install Wordpress or other Blog platform and then invite writers to apply to you for an account. Decent authors will come forward, join your team, and instead of getting lost in the shuffle of a sea of one-post blogs, they will be featured on the front page of your website, writing great content for you.
What you are describing is the difference between crappy blog software and good blog software. If xenforo would ever get an official blog addon then I would expect it to be as well implemented as the forum software is.

Didn't XenForo 1.2 add this?
vbulletin allows you to double click next to the title to edit it. Its a very handy feature that my members and staff use a lot.

The point of deleting something is that it no longer exists.

I don't understand.
When you reply to a post, you are taken to the end of the page, instead of the end of the thread. Its not a big issue, but can cause some confusion and responses that ignore newer content.

Possible now with a trivial CSS edit.
I assure you that it becomes very much not trivial when you try that for 500 nodes.

XenForo has a reactive style and does not need a mobile app.
I would agree with you if XF would have a way to deliver PUSH notifications. Technically creating Apps seems to be the only way currently, but that will change once Android and ios will both support PUSH. Hopefully XF will implement it then.

Yes, that's correct. Only if two users delete it, then its gone.

But then you created a system with 3, 4, 5.... users in a conversation and youve gone from 2 users to delete to more. Nothing really changed except for the option to be reinvited and the phrase to describe it.

I am surprised knowing this you weren't more concerned with the other things like limits on conversations. Obviously a limit on messages is outdated. You might wish to limit the number of conversations a user has to help eventually keep things clean. But individual messages are a bigger unknown with thread style conversations.

What you are describing is the difference between crappy blog software and good blog software. If xenforo would ever get an official blog addon then I would expect it to be as well implemented as the forum software is.

I hope they don't focus on that until we get more features relating to the forum. A blog system is good as an add on for the time being. Same for a gallery. Maybe in XenForo 2.0 or something. For now, I'd like them to focus on improving existing forum features and making more new ones. There's a lot more that can be done with the follower system, there's a lot more that can be done with recent activity, page nodes, full navigation system, etc... I think all these rank above having more official add ons.

I hope they don't focus on that until we get more features relating to the forum. A blog system is good as an add on for the time being. Same for a gallery. Maybe in XenForo 2.0 or something. For now, I'd like them to focus on improving existing forum features and making more new ones. There's a lot more that can be done with the follower system, there's a lot more that can be done with recent activity, page nodes, full navigation system, etc... I think all these rank above having more official add ons.
Add trophies to that list, they were introduced and then forgotten :(

If the blog software were better, it would transform your users into talented, diligent content authors? I'm talking about human nature. Most people are consumers of content, not creators of it.
The point of deleting something is that it no longer exists.
Due to how conversations work in XenForo (more like groups than a PM), what you are asking for doesn't really sync up.

In vBulletin, when you delete a PM, the other person can still have copies of some or all of those messages, and you can still have copies of other communications with that person. Deleting all the PMs from a person on a specific topic can actually take quite a bit of hunting.

In XenForo, multiple people can be invited to a conversation and it all exists as one thread that many users can be a party to. If you leave the conversation, then all trace of it disappears from your inbox. It's actually LESS work to manage than a series of PMs from another user.

I will agree 1000% that XenForo needs folders for conversations and maybe the ability to rename them. Since a conversation may encompass dozens of messages and sit in your inbox for a long time, we need to be able to classify and organize them.

Thank you for the detailed response. I'd thought that vBulletin gallery addons were so complex because they had to reinvent the wheel on so many functions, while a XenForo-based gallery would be able to leverage and extend build-in functions. That's what I get for thinking. ;) I know how popular your XenGallery is, so I have no reason to doubt it was written efficiently and fully integrated with XenForo.

Top Bottom