Xenforo 2 to 3 years behind vB??

New Joe

So I read someone post that Xenforo is at least 2 -3 years behind on the vB software.
What was the reason for this?
Is it really that far behind vB?

I've been thinking and thinking for a long time now to go for a change over from vB to Xenforo but just can't do it, my Forum is so highly customised, with VBSEO and a whole load of mods installed.
Maybe one day I will.

On another note, I guess a think that Xenforo could do is offer a free migration service from vB to Xenforo then sit back and watch 100s of 1000s of Forums buy this software...

vB has been running for many more years than XenForo.

There is a vB importer built in to XenForo.

What kind of mods you have installed? I have tons of mods and I converted my forum just fine.

I guess the biggest one I'm worried about is the VBSEO one, the URLS internal and external are very important to my Forum and can't have broken urls...

It is very easy, and many many people here have done it, if that's your worry then don't worry, we can help you out. I had vbseo as well, and my redirects work just fine. (y)
Thanks for the reply and info, so what is involved in setting up such redirects from a vB Forum using VBSEO?

On another note, I guess a think that Xenforo could do is offer a free migration service from vB to Xenforo then sit back and watch 100s of 1000s of Forums buy this software...

https://tools.digitalpoint.com/cookie-search

Almost 3 quarters of all forum migrations are VB to XF...

The XF core is light years ahead of VB. The developer ecosystem is probably slightly behind but VB had a good 10 year head start. XF's market share is massively increasing, with that the market for devs becomes larger and more profitable.

Thanks for the reply and info, so what is involved in setting up such redirects from a vB Forum using VBSEO?
Simply place VBSEO in the search box on the forum here and search. You will find ALL the info you want that way. ;)
I don't consider NOT needing an add-on to provide reliable SEO being "2 to 3 years behind" a forum software... I would say it's ahead of it.

So I read someone post that Xenforo is at least 2 -3 years behind on the vB software.
What was the reason for this?
Is it really that far behind vB?
Not certain what you mean '2-3 years behind'.

I recently left VB and went with xF because xF software works. My forums with VB 5.05 had a number of issues such as no email alerts being sent out for postings in followed forums. Announcements and notices would not work after an update was issued by VB.

These are basic features that did not work.

I wish I found Xenforo before VB.

Not certain what you mean '2-3 years behind'.

I recently left VB and went with xF because xF software works. My forums with VB 5.05 had a number of issues such as no email alerts being sent out for postings in followed forums. Announcements and notices would not work after an update was issued by VB.

These are basic features that did not work.

I wish I found Xenforo before VB.
It was something I read, not what I said, but now I found the ost I am talking about it wasn't 100%what I thought it said, this is what was said:

Princeton;2483241 said:
xenforo still has a lot of growing up to do - at the rate they are going I give them 1-2 years before they start attracting a larger audience

This one made me laugh with the 'wannabe' forum software thing..

katie hunter;2483511 said:
Xenforo for me is just another forum software wanna be. I haven't seen them launching a new feature that would wow me and say well VB doesn't have that. It is just another forum with a modern framework since it is new and a different style but nothing outrageously unique and different and lacks many of Vb default features.
:cool:

Context is everything.
As is personal opinion.

The first quote is from a post by an administrator at vb.org.
The second is from a disgruntled member due to an issue they had with a site running XenForo software.

Thank you for giving us quotes so we can track down the source of the posts:
http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=308445

Some thoughts:

• VBSEO is abandoned software. It will receive no further updates.
  • vBulletin 4.2.x has significant browser and server incompatibilities which are not being addressed as all development resources are being applied to vBulletin 5.
  • vBulletin 5 has been largely rejected by the market and vB's most diehard customers for a number of reasons including missing functionality and features which were present in the earliest versions of vB and XF. The software has major architectural problems including its over-reliance on Javascript and AJAX to do tasks which should be done on the server end. This results in the software being extremely sluggish and prone to unexpected errors for simple tasks like replying to or liking a post. Finally, there are just a handful of modifications for vB5 and most of the theme/style designers for vB5 have quit. So you'll be entirely on your own to customize the software.
  • vBulletin has just announced an EZBoard/Yuku/InvisionFree type cloud forum solution. It has been greeted with a collective yawn yet will further divert development resources from vB5.
You have to ask yourself... Do you want a platform with no future?

Haha I have three Vb licenses sitting inactive and unused since XF came along with version 1.0.. Frankly I've never seen a fall from grace quite like the disaster IB inflicted on vB. Greed leveled that company like Duck hunting with TNT..

We switched from vBulletin 3.8 last year and never looked back. Initially there was the usual "change is bad" user feedback, but things have settled now and people actually love all the XenForo features, which are getting better and better (multiquote). Moderators are sad though because they don't have a modcp, but they are learning to cope with it, too.

vBulletin 5 is horrible, and just when 4 was somewhat usable they EOL'd it.

Thanks for your reply.

@Fready33 you have to use what works best for you and your community.

Mid-last year, I purchased and installed VB 5.02. I updated it with 5.04 and 5.05. Each update did not give me features that would make my system work better. I had members leaving because the software was slow and basic features did not work. The last upgrade killed the use of likes and basic forum message functions such as reply, report, etc because we were using announcements. We had to kill the announcements in order to re-enable basic forum messaging functions.

I found XenForo's site and registered to see what the difference was. I found a community the is helpful (both XenForo staff and volunteers). I found software that works as described. There are a number of add-ons available to be used on an XenForo system.

When I left VB, I didn't migrate the old system over to the XenForo system. I started from scratch and approached members from the VB site. My forums respond faster with XenForo than with VB.

I'm seeing much more growth and participation with XenForo than with VB.

It's possible XenForo may not be the best software for your community, but it surely is for my community.

Best wishes!

Context is everything.
As is personal opinion.

The first quote is from a post by an administrator at vb.org.
The second is from a disgruntled member due to an issue they had with a site running XenForo software.

I'm not sure if I'm misinterpreting the quote or if others are but I read "xenforo still has a lot of growing up to do - at the rate they are going I give them 1-2 years before they start attracting a larger audience" to mean that XF will surpass VB's market share within the next few years. It seems others have interpreted it as XF is a few years behind in terms of capability.

I'd agree with the statement if my interpretation is correct. XF will have a greater market share than VB if migrations continue at the current rate.

Top Bottom