XF 2.0 Migrating from vBulletin 3 to XenForo 2

calopezes

Hi,

We want to migrate a forum from vBulletin 3 to XenForo 2 and we have some related questions:

- As we can read, the best practice is to import to XenForo 1.5 and later on to XenForo 2. Is that correct?

- We've seen that there are some tables using MyISAM as a database engine (xf_session, xf_search_index, xf session_admin and xf_session_install). Are there any problems changing those tables to InnoDB? Our idea is to use redis to store sessions.

- We've seen that in XenForo 1.5 is not possible to use GTID in the database; it appears the following error (doing a logout of a user):

Mysqli statement execute error : Statement violates GTID consistency: Updates to non-transactional tables can only be done in either autocommitted statements or single-statement transactions, and never in the same statement as updates to transactional tables.

Zend_Db_Statement_Mysqli->_execute() in Zend/Db/Statement.php at line 297
Zend_Db_Statement->execute() in Zend/Db/Adapter/Abstract.php at line 479
Zend_Db_Adapter_Abstract->query() in Zend/Db/Adapter/Abstract.php at line 661
Zend_Db_Adapter_Abstract->delete() in XenForo/Model/Session.php at line 487
XenForo_Model_Session->processLastActivityUpdateForLogOut() in XenForo/ControllerPublic/Logout.php at line 44
XenForo_ControllerPublic_Logout->actionIndex() in XenForo/FrontController.php at line 369
XenForo_FrontController->dispatch() in XenForo/FrontController.php at line 152
XenForo_FrontController->run() in /var/www/vhosts/www.forum.com/index.php at line 13

Making a fresh install with XenForo 2 it seems that this error doesn't appear. Can anyone confirm if XenForo 2 is able to use GTID for the database?

Thanks.

I'd go directly to 2.1, doesn't make sense to go to 1.5 first.

You can change MyISAM Tables to InnoDB if you have a recent InnoDB version that supports FULLTEXT.

We are running several XF (1.5, 2.0 and 2.0) on MariaDB with GTID and I haven't seen such an issue, could it be that you've got some tables as MyISAM that should in fact be InnoDB?

Last edited:
We've read that is better to migrate vBulletin first to XenForo 1.5. The XF2 importer works well directly from vBulletin 3?

InnoDB is a recent version; is the latest Percona Server version of the 5.7 release.

Regarding the GTID, is strange; it is just a fresh install of XF1.5. Just login with the admin user in the forum and the message appears trying to do a logout. The tables are in the same state as the installation (all in InnoDB unless xf_session, xf_search_index and xf_session_admin).

Last edited:
MariaDB GTID is different from Oracle MySQL (on which Percona is based) GTID, so that might be the reason.

I can't give much feedback on vB 3 imports, so far we've done direct imports from
  • 1 vB 3.7
  • 1 vB 4
  • 1 WBB 3 (with a custom importer)
  • 1 UBBThreads (with a custom importer)
and those did work pretty well, though not totally without issues - there are some bugs here and there but nothing I would consider a showstopper.

From an importer stability standpoint for vB 3.8, I would also like to know if it is recommended to go to 1.5 first, upgrade to 2.0. Or, import to 2.0. Thanks!

Last edited:
I've done a few VB 3.8 migrations, last one was in late December for an automotive site. I go VB -> XF 1.5 -> XF 2. The imports simply seem to go smoother for me, unless something's changed in the 2.x VB importer in the last month.

Going direct to XF2 would be our recommendation.

Check the outstanding importer bug reports though, there may be one which affects your specific import: https://xenforo.com/community/forums/importer-bugs/
I'd like to import a vB 3.8.11 installation into XF2. The importer bugs pointed out in the section you mentioned aren't an issue. But where is the importer to download? Is it the same importer for XF1?

Top Bottom