XenForo 2.0 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
What's the shame about it? Based on history and current state it's going to be best. XF in present state itself is Ace compare to other competitors in forum industry.
I'm trying IPS4 and i'm actually finding it better than current XF. Till the release of IPS4, yes, it was the best of all.

I'm trying IPS4 and i'm actually finding it better than current XF. Till the release of IPS4, yes, it was the best of all.

Good for you. Based on my experience I dislike it in many areas. UI is horrible and so is design. Sure it could be changed through skin but how much someone is going to change it...

More or less they had blogs about updates in 2014 and it's 2015. They have taken more then a year by now and it's still in buggy stage from notifications to VNC and to many other areas. It's still unfinished product and it's almost going to take 6 more months. Many have moved out of IPS and converted to XF and they are happy about it. It all boils down to personal preference.

XF so far has delivered solid product and I believe they are going to do so in future too.

Good for you. Based on my experience I dislike it in many areas. UI is horrible and so is design. Sure it could be changed through skin but how much someone is going to change it...

More or less they had blogs about updates in 2014 and it's 2015. They have taken more then a year by now and it's still in buggy stage from notifications to VNC and to many other areas. It's still unfinished product and it's almost going to take 6 more months. Many have moved out of IPS and converted to XF and they are happy about it. It all boils down to personal preference.

XF so far has delivered solid product and I believe they are going to do so in future too.
Yeah IPS4 released really slowly, but they changed everything, its still unstable and not solid atm

Still nothing new about v2?
What's the urgency? Current version is stable. I'm sure they're working hard at v2, good coding takes a lot of time you know...

Nah, never liked IPS. Don't like their way of doing things and don't like the heavy designs they come up with. Even vB until v3.8 I liked more. But to each his own I guess.

Nah, never liked IPS. Don't like their way of doing things and don't like the heavy designs they come up with. Even vB until v3.8 I liked more.

Agree. I'm always slightly bummed when I see a former vb3 site now on IPS (like Hip Forums). Actually preferred the vB iteration of almost all of these forums. But I understand the technical reasons for needing to move away from vB3--stuff like PHP compatibility, for one, to name one of many. But in my view of the commercial forums that are out there now, xenforo provides by far the nicest experience, and support from the team and community here is just stellar.

I'm also testing IPS4 but I have to say that it's not that great - even though it's still in beta there's nothing really innovative about the software, in fact it could be daunting to newbies. The forums are, well, forums. The gallery is not a patch on the XFMG in so many ways that are too numerous to mention. The blogs, well, not many people use them as has been stated previously. The calendar is OK but nothing to write home about. The only part that is good is Pages - formerly known as Content. There's nothing in there that can be said is better than XF; quite the opposite, some of the new ways of implementing functions are not exactly intuitive, even for seasoned forum users.

No, I can say without a doubt that XF is light-years ahead of anything out there. There are some good ideas in other forum software packages that could be used in XF (and I know that they can be executed better by the XF team). Here's a few that come to mind:

The editor should be user upgradeable and customisable - using the plugins that are available from the editor creators
The terminology needs to be adjusted to follow continuity - Discussions rather than threads, replies rather than posts, followed rather than watched and so on
Copy and Paste needs to be ramped up, so many people are used to C&P and they get frustrated when they have to resort to pushing buttons and hunting for files on their computers (I know it's laziness, but that's how it is)
A calendar is a must for any site that promotes events - I know not every forum owner will want a calendar, but it should be a core feature that can be used or not depending on the owners preference
We already have pages in XF - they need to be expanded upon following a similar (though I'm sure can be better executed) route to IPS Content (now Pages)
The user drop down box needs to be less intimidating - have a link to the users settings, a link to the users profile and perhaps a link for their conversations - leave the rest on the relevant pages that are linked to (user friendly)

There's loads more floating around, but these are the basics that I, personally feel (and it's only my opinion) should be looked at more closely.

As for IPS4 - it's a brave attempt to do something different, and that may be so in the core, but the front end is a mess. XF rules!

Yeah IPS4 released really slowly, but they changed everything, its still unstable and not solid atm

UI and front end is horrible. Simple example:

http://community.invisionpower.com/files/file/4612-contact-form/

https://xenforo.com/community/resources/revo.3954/

All the space vs content ratio. :) I have to scroll my page down to see any worth reading content in IPS 4 while in XF it's always right on spot. My work laptop screen resolution: 1366 * 768.

More or less editor was and is mess in IPS. They can't get it right. XF editor is super user friendly. Let's just stick with XF discussion rather then discussing about IPS here. My bad for going little off topic. :)

but the front end is a mess. XF rules!

Complete agreement. I had thought that they would get it right with IPS 4 but it's more worse then IPS 3.7.x, imo.

I wouldn't say you were off topic at all - the future of XF can only measured by the competition they face, so mentioning IPS4 is a valid point. XF can scoop up the best of everything out there, fine tune it, present it in their own inimitable way and simply solidify their already prime position. It's never a good thing to become complacent and any good business will never take their eye off the competition (albeit lagging behind) nor their finger off the pulse of what's happening out there on the Internet right now and what floats people's boats.

The XF team are doing a superb job and I can only say that the whole system will move forward smoothly and confidently.

(y)

I agree - the only 'official' mention of anything significant in the first post is the Navigation Manager; period. It is incredibly difficult to discuss XF2 based purely on speculation. The points raised about IPS4 are focussed on the fact that the development team did what they 'thought' their users wanted, but the reality was that a whole bunch of users rebelled because what was delivered was not what was wanted. The same thing happened with VB5 - I would not wish to witness a similar situation with XF2.

I think it's extremely important for customer interaction when significant changes are being considered that will affect those customers - and their members. The suggestions forum is great for suggestions, but those topics that promote changes do not imply that those changes will be considered let alone implemented.

Some kind of road map of considered features would be good and give customers something to scrutinise and debate. Right now we're all shooting in the dark because, apart from navigation, we haven't a clue what is being planned and, more importantly, whether those plans will be received warmly. I have a great deal of faith in the XF team - however faith is only as strong as the foundation that it's built upon.

I really hope the Xenforo 2.0 finally to have a complete status system!
Like this: https://xenforo.com/community/resources/*******-advanced-profile-posts.3666/ you could do it right!

Does? Please give us a few clues about it that what's going it to be and when.
It's going to be a script that is similar to Xenforo 1.x series but that extends it in wondrous unexpected ways ...
It will have the ability to log in.
It will have the ability to reply to posts.
It will have the ability to like posts.
And MORE!

And it will be ready between now & then.

:p

It's going to be a script that is similar to Xenforo 1.x series but that extends it in wondrous unexpected ways ...
And MORE!

:p

Thanks a lot for the information!

Now I feel more comfortable. is going to be AMAZING!

And MORE!

Wonderful! I'm excited! Waiting for it forever! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom