XenForo 2.0 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
I take the point @RobParker but the markets are completely different.

XenForo is able to set a relatively now price due to the number of licenses they sell and the renewal fee.

Third party add-ons will never approach the same volume.

Exactly. Yet customers don't appreciate that and so the XF price sets an artificial ceiling. There's been lots of instances on here of people saying they'd refuse to pay more than the core price for an addon.

(I'd happily pay £500+ for a decent addon that we really needed).

IPB has been around for a lot longer and has more customers which means add ons have a greater possible customer base.
Well let's hope Xenforo 2.0 can conquer a bigger customer base so it the addon customer base also increase the profits over the costs so it worths more the time spent on it.

But for now i think developers of more complex mods can create licensing fees per year for updates and support, i would pay for that, so the addons have a bit of more return and can keep being updated with new features.

IPB has been around for a lot longer and has more customers
This does not seem to be true. XenForo is gaining popularity very quickly and is steadily eating up vbulletin marketshare. (about 10% marketshare increase per year at current rate) Thousands of sites seem to be converting per month. The XF marketshare(27.3%) is already twice as big as IPB (12.6%):
Source: https://tools.digitalpoint.com/cookie-search

This does not seem to be true. XenForo is gaining popularity very quickly and is steadily eating up vbulletin marketshare. (about 10% marketshare increase per year at current rate) Thousands of sites seem to be converting per month. The XF marketshare(27.3%) is already twice as big as IPB (12.6%):
Source: https://tools.digitalpoint.com/cookie-search
Fair enough. I didn't actually check stats I just figured since it's been around way longer and XenForo still has a pretty small marketshare, they had a much bigger one. Not true it turns out but the fact ipb has been around several years longer gave devs a head start for making add ons there.

XenForo's addon community is slightly more active. IPB's marketplace is more advanced which gives more opportunity for developers, clients and service providers to setup projects. This feeds their addon ecosystem in a way that is currently missing on XF. It also offers developers to make more money through their marketplace.
For XenForo custom developement you mainly have to search other sites like freelancer.com Odesk, elance, etc. This in a way is similar to how on vbulletin we had to find commercial addons on third party sites. XenForo and IPB have shown how massively successful it is to have commercial addons onsite centralized. The same consideration is valid for custom coding projects.

This is great! I'm looking forward to see XenForo 2.0

Will the XenForo 2.0 update be included in the "1 year subscription" like normal updates are or will there be an additional fee for the upgrade?

Option to backup forum and database from admin cp or a cron to do it automatically in a specified time ;)
I'm expecting it for a much long time

Such a great post with good insight. I would love to see if developers could apply to early access with a major release. Signing an NDA wouldn't be an issue of course.
Great idea, so yall can start developing your add-ons ahead of time.

Will their be a list of Brand New Themes/styles for 2.0 Im pretty sure alot of people would love to have a core set of default themes they can use. Different styles and colors. Some styles with better Footers etc.

Will their be a list of Brand New Themes/styles for 2.0 Im pretty sure alot of people would love to have a core set of default themes they can use. Different styles and colors. Some styles with better Footers etc.
one thing i really think they should include is a base dark style. even a simple xf1.0 recolour was ruthlessly tedious with all the hardcoded #white, gradients, etc. please dont put me through that again.

I have already posted some of these suggestion but adding a few now and summarizing it
  • Install add on by directly uploading add on zip
  • Ability to manage backup from admin cp
  • Responsive admin cp
  • Ability to install custom admin skin
  • make forum run over https with one click of a button (at least admin cp) ofc assuming the server has ssl set up.
  • A system to update the installation from cp. most web applications has this. I'd be very happy if this can be implemented.
Note: The above list is just my wishlist which I would be happy if any of them are implemented.

* Better moderation tools from reports.

Something like moderation queue where you can just select which post to delete.
If you want to extend further add warning selections, which will automate notification of the post (and its content) to the member that violated the rule.

Hey, super excited for XenForo 2.0.0

I'm planning on putting off several site updates until after it comes out, as to not repeat my work, but I'm not sure of it's expected release date.

Is this decided at all? Is there any sort of estimate?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom