XenForo 2.0 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
IMHO it's good to take some ispiration from Discourse/NodeBB (only on some "dynamic" feature, NOT the layout/UI). But we should remember that they are coded with different languages...i think that implement them to a PHP script with a standard server configuration will destroy your server resources...

I'm new here and I just got XF1.4 recently. I love the software and I'm looking to get some add-ons. But I'm curious if I should wait for XF2.0. Is there an ETA on roughly when it will be available? Thanks

k, just wanted to get a feel if we are weeks away, few months or longer.
Bearing in mind this is speculation:

There are usually 3-6 months between minor XF revisions (1,3 to 1,4, for example), but current information suggests (but does not confirm) that there won't be a 1.5 revision - all work is currently going onto the 2.0 line.

However, that means that the XF team are currently working on a complete rewrite of the entire software. I'd say that this means we won't have even early sneak peeks of the 2.0 series until the new year, and probably won't get alphas until March/April, maybe later. Even then, there'll be a lengthy process before the software is remotely stable enough to use on a production site - a stable, supported release wouldn't be ready until July or August next year.

For now, go with 1.4. We've got ages before we need to think about redoing our entire sites. :)

I'm pretty sure there's no 1.5.
Brogan has said there's currently no plans for a 1.5, but that might change - and it wasn't from the @XenForo account, so it isn't cast in stone either way :) although I'd personally consider a 1.5 very very unlikely, we've had no confirmation so I won't say it with an air of certainty.

I'm new here and I just got XF1.4 recently. I love the software and I'm looking to get some add-ons. But I'm curious if I should wait for XF2.0. Is there an ETA on roughly when it will be available? Thanks
I'm also new here.

To follow up on this question, is there any type of add-on I should avoid given the likelihood of it it breaking in the next version?

Oh Joy!!! Another reason why I try to keep the number of add-ons to a minimum!! Sadly though it always hovers around 30 :( :(

One theory suggests that helps, another states it does nothing. Every plugin you avoid could be every single one that actually end's up working or updated for 2.0 first. It solves nothing for the addon's you actually need but sometimes it just avoids having something and losing it for awhile as well.

Switching to 2.0 when it comes out would be like having migrated to 1.0 the day it came out. There is no point. I expect 6 months to a year before we move due to 1 custom addon we had developed and the fact that so far no replacement for XenPorta is in sight. Someone would try to argue on my last point but I haven't seen a 100% drop in replacement for it or better yet vB Advanced which Xenporta still falls short of as well. I will of course have a theme done by the time 2.0 goes gold. The major paid plugins like XMG will likely be done by the time our custom work is ported over. I am sure all the simple addon's that are very popular will have long made the transition if needed as well.

Site's just starting out might make the jump a little faster along side some of the simpler sites already on Xenforo. Everyone else will be in an impatient rush to upgrade from a place they are already happy though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom