XenForo 2.0 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Want more proof? Check on IPS how many people have bought, IP.Content with IP.Board and how many have bought IP.Board only...since i own a license for couple of years, i can assure you that you will hardly ever see on the showcase area ANY website without IP.Content.

Yes, the internet. All decent sites that won any serious competition have a main page. Forum only sites are dead, there is no future to them.
So no facts then, just (incorrect) conjecture.

Not everyone wants to have huge sites. Many forum owners simply want just that - a forum for users with a common interest to come and discuss matters around that. These sites as just as 'decent' as any other site.

Oh and a main page isn't the same as a CMS. I have a main page using Featured Threads. It does exactly what I and my members need it do to.

Personally, I'd pay $60 to $120 for a tight, well-made and robust bridge between xenForo and WordPress. Whatever CMS xF produced (if anything) would ultimately always be compared to the WordPress platform.

I said this elsewhere, but I'll post it here also:

I know I'm in the minority, but I would prefer a proper paid/premium WordPress plugin that provided SSO, post/comment/thread integration, etc, and and perhaps a WordPress theme that pulls from xenForo's back-end.

This is obviously not likely to come from the xF team, but partnering with an already established, open CMS framework would provide a lot more features than an in-house solution would.

true words

Yes, the internet. All decent sites that won any serious competition have a main page. Forum only sites are dead, there is no future to them.

I don't know how many people are working on XenForo but I doubt they have time to make XenForo 2.0 + a CMS + a Media Gallery + a Stream platform + a WebBrowser + an Online shop + ... there is addons for that ;)

Landing page can be handled by some addons there (the list is easy to get) but if you think that what you want is a CMS, you will find what you maybe need there ;) : Integration

true words

I don't know how many people are working on XenForo but I doubt they have time to make XenForo 2.0 + a CMS + a Media Gallery + a Stream platform + a WebBrowser + an Online shop + ... there is addons for that ;)

Landing page can be handled by some addons there (the list is easy to get) but if you think that what you want is a CMS, you will find what you maybe need there ;) : Integration
Well, I've already purchased the two main WordPress bridges, but both have petered out. One hasn't been updated since 2012, the other has ceased sales and is unlikely to continue development because of piracy and the weight of supporting it.

I don't want xenCMS - It's not going to do everything that WordPress already does (and will likely do better). I just want tight, supported integration between the two. Let me use xenForo where it shines and WordPress where it shines.

Well, I've already purchased the two main WordPress bridges, but both have petered out. One hasn't been updated since 2012, the other has ceased sales and is unlikely to continue development because of piracy and the weight of supporting it.

I don't want xenCMS - It's not going to do everything that WordPress already does (and will likely do better). I just want tight, supported integration between the two. Let me use xenForo where it shines and WordPress where it shines.
I don't want XenCMS either ;) I want it to be a better forum software as now

Cause somebody doesn't need it doesn't mean that you are the majority, in fact, its the minority. If you don't want it, don't buy it, simple as that, most of the community owners though would buy it, those who dont want, simply dont buy it.

Jeez. we are on the 21st century

We need customization, integration, CMS with databases that you can customize and develop things for it

Site competition are getting bigger, websites evolve, if you wanna stay back, feel free to do it.

The majority needs it, the majority wants it, the majority will buy it...it's a fact, set up a poll.

I think you may be looking for different software. XenForo does discussion forums while what you seem to want is content publishing. I hear the vBulletin Suite and the IPS Suite are awesome, if you want a little of both you should check them out. If you are a content publisher, most forums aren't, Drupal and WordPress have many plugins to tack forums onto your content.

I think you may be looking for different software. XenForo does discussion forums while what you seem to want is content publishing.

There is the alternative of XenPorta. I have used XenPorta during 2 year now and I'm still happy with it :) Not the best CMS ever but trully useful to make your board more CMS-like. I won't advice neither vB nor IPS since I don't know them well

Drupal and WordPress have many plugins to tack forums onto your content.

Therein lies the problem - I don't want to "tack on" anything. If you want a robust content management system, you use WordPress (or Drupal). If you want an amazing forum system, you use xenForo.

What if I want both?

With WordPress, I can install bbPress, but it doesn't hold a candle to xenForo. With xenForo, I can use a portal addon like xenPorta, but... It's not really a CMS.

IPB and vBulleting have something approaching (depending on your definition of the word ;)) a CMS, but they still fall very short of what WordPress can do. If xenForo refused to compete and just produced a very close integration with an already established system... I can't even begin to describe how excited that'd make me. WordPress already powers over 20 percent of the websites on the internet and has it's own very healthy ecosystem of CMS-specific plugins.

It seems like a win-win.

While I have no use for a CMS for my forum at the moment. There is clearly a market for one and I hope XF will decide to either support integration with a popular one like WP or offer their own like vB and IPS.

It probably does not need to be a full-blown "CMS", but some sort of visual "Starting Point" at the "Home"-page for a visitor to jump into a thread.
Having "images / photos" at the Homepage which users will click and therefore lead users to an interesting thread.

I think some sort of "Featured Threads" at the Homepage with a nice design/layout will increase user-signups and engagement.

I have experienced a lot of user-signups when using an image-focused grid-layout like www.xenzine.com compared to the default "Forum Homepage", which was just a dead Forum and no user sign-ups at all.

:)

Yes, I do like a Home page like the vB 4 Suit is.
Be nice to be an added thing for Xenforo, surely it can't be that hard to include in the core software.

I think you may be looking for different software. XenForo does discussion forums while what you seem to want is content publishing. I hear the vBulletin Suite and the IPS Suite are awesome, if you want a little of both you should check them out. If you are a content publisher, most forums aren't, Drupal and WordPress have many plugins to tack forums onto your content.

You're missing the point.

The fact that so many are requesting it demonstrates the need for it. I understand that not everybody needs or wants a CMS. There are those who just want a forum. However, there are many - myself included - who need an integrated way to tie community and third party content together in the form of a CMS.

I don't understand why people are against the idea. Don't want it? Don't use it.

I don't understand why people are against the idea. Don't want it? Don't use it.

Because CMS is a very complicated piece of software and needs maybe years of development to get the quality of already in-the-market CMS. We think that XF resources should be used to make XF better and maybe a bridge to an existing CMS like Drupal or Wordpress or other already developed and tested CMS.

CMS development is a blackhole of developers, resources and support time.

(being a System Engineer myself)

vb cms is ugly. Personally, I don't like it. The layout is a mess. Don't know about ipb because I never see any site who use it.

Because CMS is a very complicated piece of software and needs maybe years of development to get the quality of already in-the-market CMS. We think that XF resources should be used to make XF better and maybe a bridge to an existing CMS like Drupal or Wordpress or other already developed and tested CMS.

CMS development is a blackhole of developers, resources and support time.

(being a System Engineer myself)

I'm not against the idea of a bridge with an already existing CMS, but when has it ever happened?

It never happened with vB, and I don't remember it happening with IPB Board either. People begged for it for years. I've been on vB since 2004.

I don't care how it happens as long as there is a decent (i.e flexible) integrated way to tie together community and third party content together so that those who need it can utilise it.

It may be a lot of work but it will bring Xenforo a lot more customers. That much is certain.

With lots of work I have a somewhat functioning CMS system utilizing the resource manager + waindigo's resource managers add-on...

Once I get things fully finalized to my vision for my site, I will post a link... should be in the next month

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom