XenForo 2.0 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd love to see a proper xenforo mobile app built by the guys for this system. Here take my money, seriously.
Tapatalk is garbage. Responsive themes? meh. Blogs, portals and etc are a novelty they can work on at a later stage, interacting within the actual forum is more important imo and a great mobile app could take that to new levels.

A new and effective Database Layout. Use Triggers, Foreign Keys etc. to increase speed and use much less code inside PHP.

Maybe use MongoDB.

Create some Elements with NodeJS to implement Push Services.

Do much more Web 3.0

A new and effective Database Layout. Use Triggers, Foreign Keys etc. to increase speed and use much less code inside PHP.

Maybe use MongoDB.

Create some Elements with NodeJS to implement Push Services.

Do much more Web 3.0
What types of things would you want them to use triggers for? Please don't say anything to do with application business logic.

I'd love to see a proper xenforo mobile app built by the guys for this system. Here take my money, seriously.
Tapatalk is garbage. Responsive themes? meh. Blogs, portals and etc are a novelty they can work on at a later stage, interacting within the actual forum is more important imo and a great mobile app could take that to new levels.

Agree 100%.

Tapatalk I removed after moving from SMF to Xenforo, responsive theme helped a lot, I get the information on visitors in Google Analytics and do not scare new users away with the intrusive Tapatalk first message screen.

But, I would love an App, push services, ability to easy integrate with user interface of the mobile device, extra functions as location tagging, ability to interact with other members, search etc etc. List can be made long. Today we have 60% of our users from mobile devices, expect this number to grow.

I would surely pay for this functionality as an add on function to Xenforo. If Xenforo could take the hassle of getting an app approved on Play and Itunes, supplying the App for free to the end users and adding a charge to enable the interaction at the site. Understand that with the current number of developers that this would add pressure and delay other parts but perhaps a joint venture can be formed with another developing organization. Just an idea. Still, I should be under the formal support from Xenforo, not as an add on

Last edited:
What types of things would you want them to use triggers for? Please don't say anything to do with application business logic.
Several really easy thing like
  • Post-History. It's a really short Trigger, to store all changes in a table inside another table.
  • Insert a Post can trigger an update for the forum with last-poster
  • Admin/Mod Log
Just a few really easy things.

Several really easy thing like
  • Post-History. It's a really short Trigger, to store all changes in a table inside another table.
  • Insert a Post can trigger an update for the forum with last-poster
  • Admin/Mod Log
Just a few really easy things.

I don't know how you expect that database independence to the degree that it would run great on both MySQL and MongoDB is in any way compatible with storing program logic and prepared queries in an SQL database. Either you want more SQL or you don't want any. Are you asking for both?

Yes it is.

It's not so much. XenForo is too small to do both well. Focus. XenForo forums are awesome, don't let those discourse people tell you otherwise. A lame-o, half-baked portal/cms plugin because people "need" it is a distraction IMHO. Ask IPS or anyone else who has tried to build a "suite". A box of wet matches. If you want a good CMS then a plug-able authentication/SSO framework that lets you connect with most anything is a far better way to go.

Before you know it XenForo will be 350-450 bucks and you'll never find a single skin that'll cover even 2/3rds of the templates and you'll be like #thanksObama

I don't know how you expect that database independence to the degree that it would run great on both MySQL and MongoDB is in any way compatible with storing program logic and prepared queries in an SQL database. Either you want more SQL or you don't want any. Are you asking for both?
That are "or"s. Shurely both are not possible.

As someone who is considering migrating to Xenforo I think that anything that boosts user engagement is a good idea.

The whole idea of forums is building a community, so I think incorporating blogs and CMS functionality is a good idea. It gives forum users access to more content and new ways to express themselves. I think most forum owners want to keep their users at their community so anything that encourages that is a step forward.

Forums are competing with social media now so they need to evolve and have an edge and I think enhancing and developing the idea of community is the best way to do that.

I don't want a XenCMS. There is plenty of CMS that do the job very well and there is so much integration available there. XenForo (withotu addons) has to stay a forum.

However, it would be nice if it was possible to create index pages for forums in which it would be possible to have nodes etc... a sort of level 0. With the actual index page as level -1, each new level 0 would appear as a category page in which you will have exactly the same indentation as the index page now. It would be the same as having 2 xenforo in only one and, it would be a step to managing big boards (and to tidy these forums a lot).

I think Xenforo needs to make a decision on large vs medium sized boards. Running a medium sized board I do not need a lot of the admin and moderator tools requested, neither support for large loads, specific databases or ability to extensively tweak the systems setup.

For me the key things are usability for the members. features that attract more users, like mobile support, interactions, ease to create forms for different things (even easier modifications of templates etc).

Features for big boards I would as much as possible suggest as add on. Given the current price structure, a medium/small board pays the same price as a large board. Hence, I rather keep the price in aprox the same level rather than pay for features I will never use.

Last edited:
I don't want a XenCMS. There is plenty of CMS that do the job very well and there is so much integration available there. XenForo (withotu addons) has to stay a forum.

However, it would be nice if it was possible to create index pages for forums in which it would be possible to have nodes etc... a sort of level 0. With the actual index page as level -1, each new level 0 would appear as a category page in which you will have exactly the same indentation as the index page now. It would be the same as having 2 xenforo in only one and, it would be a step to managing big boards (and to tidy these forums a lot).

Cause somebody doesn't need it doesn't mean that you are the majority, in fact, its the minority. If you don't want it, don't buy it, simple as that, most of the community owners though would buy it, those who dont want, simply dont buy it.

Jeez. we are on the 21st century

We need customization, integration, CMS with databases that you can customize and develop things for it

Site competition are getting bigger, websites evolve, if you wanna stay back, feel free to do it.

The majority needs it, the majority wants it, the majority will buy it...it's a fact, set up a poll.

Cause somebody doesn't need it doesn't mean that you are the majority, in fact, its the minority. If you don't want it, don't buy it, simple as that, most of the community owners though would buy it, those who dont want, simply dont buy it.

Jeez. we are on the 21st century

Site competition are getting bigger, websites evolve, if you wanna stay back, feel free to do it.

Personally, I'd pay $60 to $120 for a tight, well-made and robust bridge between xenForo and WordPress. Whatever CMS xF produced (if anything) would ultimately always be compared to the WordPress platform.

I said this elsewhere, but I'll post it here also:

I know I'm in the minority, but I would prefer a proper paid/premium WordPress plugin that provided SSO, post/comment/thread integration, etc, and and perhaps a WordPress theme that pulls from xenForo's back-end.

This is obviously not likely to come from the xF team, but partnering with an already established, open CMS framework would provide a lot more features than an in-house solution would.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom