XenForo 2.0 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not against the idea of a bridge with an already existing CMS, but when has it ever happened?

It never happened with vB, and I don't remember it happening with IPB Board either. People begged for it for years. I've been on vB since 2004.

I don't care how it happens as long as there is a decent (i.e flexible) integrated way to tie together community and third party content together so that those who need it can utilise it.

It may be a lot of work but it will bring Xenforo a lot more customers. That much is certain.

I really don't know if it will bring more customers or more problems, really.

I do want a CMS for myself (I use wordpress at the moment - loosely integrated with XF) so, I'll see what comes :) Hope it's better than the semi-baked vB solution (was with vB from 2005 to 2013).

Well, I trust the XF developers - if they decide that can be done with quality and keeping the forum in the best of shapes, I'm in.

Core APIs is the number 1 most recent request in the suggestions forum (with push notifications). If core APIs will be implemented by @Mike and @Kier, IMHO, CMS will be no longer a problem. I think that CMS' and solid bridges will popup like mushrooms thanks to core APIs.

My question is, how can we know what suggestions will be included on 2.0? Will be implemented only the more liked?

I want feature X! Clearly Kier & Mike should deliver it NOW!

I don't want feature X! Clearly Kier & Mike should NEVER deliver it!

How many more pages of this do we need, honestly? If you want feature X, make a suggestion so people can vote for it and we'll see how much support it has.

If you don't want a feature, don't vote for it. Whining about your personal beliefs and reasons why it shouldn't be developed is likely not going to be justification enough for KAM not to go for it either themselves or with external help if necessary if there is enough demand for it from the people who DO want it.

Geez, common sense, anyone?

My question is, how can we know what suggestions will be included on 2.0? Will be implemented only the more liked?

Quite obvious actually. Have you seen threads and not a moment before they are posted will anyone except a handful of people have a clue. Most liked suggestions are always the more likely but its still up to Kier and Mike as to if and when. So one could have twice the likes of another and still get implemented last.

Last edited:
I want feature X! Clearly Kier & Mike should deliver it NOW!

I don't want feature X! Clearly Kier & Mike should NEVER deliver it!

How many more pages of this do we need, honestly? If you want feature X, make a suggestion so people can vote for it and we'll see how much support it has.

If you don't want a feature, don't vote for it. Whining about your personal beliefs and reasons why it shouldn't be developed is likely not going to be justification enough for KAM not to go for it either themselves or with external help if necessary if there is enough demand for it from the people who DO want it.

Geez, common sense, anyone?
It's like the haters don't think KAM have enough competence to decide what they do and don't have time to work on, as well as their ability to do it.

I needed to look up a definition of a "Content Management System (CMS)" to understand what a CMS is/does.
So a question to the people asking for Xenforo to have a CMS: What would Xenforo do differently from now (1.4) to have a professional and highly regarded CMS?
(This is a genuine question and definitely not trolling - I would like to know the answer because I have no idea what a CMS would do or look like that is different to XF now)

Web content management system
A content management system (Web CMS) is a bundled or stand-alone application to create, deploy, manage and store content on Web pages. Web content includes text and embedded graphics, photos, video, audio, and code (e.g., for applications) that displays content or interacts with the user. A Web CMS may catalog and index content, select or assemble content at runtime, or deliver content to specific visitors in a requested way, such as other languages. Web CMSs usually allow client control over HTML-based content, files, documents, and Web hosting plans based on the system depth and the niche it serves.
  • Content management application (CMA) is the front-end user interface that allows a user, even with limited expertise, to add, modify and remove content from a Web site without the intervention of a Webmaster.
  • Content delivery application (CDA) compiles that information and updates the Web site.

(y) That's exactly what Xenforo is, a Content Management System (CMS) without any add ons or window dressing.

Forum definition for XenForo:
An Internet forum, or message board, is an online discussion site where people can hold conversations in the form of posted messages.[1] They differ from chat rooms in that messages are often longer than one line of text, and are at least temporarily archived. Also, depending on the access level of a user or the forum set-up, a posted message might need to be approved by a moderator before it becomes visible.

Forums have a specific set of jargon associated with them; e.g. a single conversation is called a "thread", or topic.

A discussion forum is hierarchical or tree-like in structure: a forum can contain a number of subforums, each of which may have several topics. Within a forum's topic, each new discussion started is called a thread, and can be replied to by as many people as so wish.

Depending on the forum's settings, users can be anonymous or have to register with the forum and then subsequently log in in order to post messages. On most forums, users do not have to log in to read existing messages.

I think there's to much CMS' out there and they are doing a great job.
IMHO xenForo need a great connection with them (CMS) thought API (or RPC) but only a few xenforo's admin will take advantage from it.
For the rest of xenforo's admin there are already some "xenforo portals".

BUT...

Ufficial APIs will open up infinite possibility to xenForo! (CMS included)
Stop one sec and think about it... xenForo integrated with:

PrestaShop
Magento
<put your favorite cart here>
IFTTT
Zapier
<put your favorite Internet of things automation service here>
PushBullet
Wordpress
Joomla
Ghost
<put your favorite CMS here>
Dropbox
Google Drive
Google Calendar (in sync with Events!! OMG! @Waindigo !!! :D)
<put your favorite web application here>
DON'T STOP ME KNOW!!

And all this with the help of our great third party devs, without* @Kier and @Mike involved except maintain and develop APIs!

am I the only one excited about this? Really?!?

p.s. *yes maybe have to be involved if they want IFTTT and Zapier integration. :D

I think there's to much CMS' out there and they are doing a great job.
IMHO xenForo need a great connection with them (CMS) thought API (or RPC) but only a few xenforo's admin will take advantage from it.
For the rest of xenforo's admin there are already some "xenforo portals".

BUT...

Ufficial APIs will open up infinite possibility to xenForo! (CMS included)
Stop one sec and think about it... xenForo integrated with:

PrestaShop
Magento
<put your favorite cart here>
IFTTT
Zapier
<put your favorite Internet of things automation service here>
PushBullet
Wordpress
Joomla
Ghost
<put your favorite CMS here>
Dropbox
Google Drive
Google Calendar (in sync with Events!! OMG! @Waindigo !!! :D)
<put your favorite web application here>
DON'T STOP ME KNOW!!

And all this with the help of our great third party devs, without* @Kier and @Mike involved except maintain and develop APIs!

am I the only one excited about this? Really?!?

p.s. *yes maybe have to be involved if they want IFTTT and Zapier integration. :D

I don't know what I'd do if I had IFTTT integration... Probably piss myself with joy.

This is all along the same lines of what I've mentioned a few places elsewhere about tight integration with already existing solutions. An API would be wonderful and wouldn't require as much development/maintenance.

However you call the beast - many forums need a way to not only present threads to visitors (where Brogans addon seems to shine) but a way to let users write more comlex articles and present it on the home page. I still don't understand why the Xenforo pages are so rudimental and not usable by the common forum user.

i just have a question concerning xF 2.0: Does it mean that xenforo will go from 1.4.X to 2.0. Is 1.4.X the final stable version before 2.0 ?
Thanks

Happy to hear it, Xenforo used to be the "next gen" but with Discourse and other forum softwares coming out for free - its definitely aged a bit.

Happy to hear it, Xenforo used to be the "next gen" but with Discourse and other forum softwares coming out for free - its definitely aged a bit.

The unique true "plus" of Discourse is the "auto refresh" feature...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom