XenForo 2.0 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would love to know what sort of features the XF team are currently working on - or hoping to include for XF 2.1. Not least whether portalisation and blogs might ever be official products.

Not least whether portalisation and blogs might ever be official products.
Honestly doubt that would be seen in 2.1.... and possibly not ever. It really depends on how much they want to expand their ecosystem.
I'd MUCH rather see something similar to IPS Pages than a portal or blog.

welcoming this Pagination change, just a long-press addition to present 1,2,3,4,5 pages vertically as option ( like fb reactions) will make it gold.

We've bumped up the minimum requirements for MySQL to 5.5 but not stretched them far enough to use the native JSON support.

That said, we are generally making more use of JSON albeit encoded/decoded in PHP and still stored in BLOBs in MySQL. We'd recommend that, where practicable, developers use JSON for new fields rather than PHP serialization and if it's sane to do so, update existing fields to store JSON. We haven't routinely done that everywhere, but if you can it will be worth doing.

MariaDB 10.2.0 (2016/2017 release) only just got native JSON support, and MySQL 5.7.8 (2015 release) is requires for JSON support.

Given XF2 still support php 5.4 (2012 release), I wouldn't hold out for the native json support. Most of the time, just being able to store the blob as json is an important 1st step. As JSON imposes unicode encoding rules, which means binary data in your json is now "interesting".

That said, we are generally making more use of JSON albeit encoded/decoded in PHP and still stored in BLOBs in MySQL. We'd recommend that, where practicable, developers use JSON for new fields rather than PHP serialization and if it's sane to do so, update existing fields to store JSON. We haven't routinely done that everywhere, but if you can it will be worth doing.
I noticed there are a couple places where a user's secret_key is pushed into the cache which causes "fun" with JSON. And changing content_type to varbinary can potential mean it will contain invalid-unicode sequences when developers try to interact with it as a string at various levels.

We've bumped up the minimum requirements for MySQL to 5.5 but not stretched them far enough to use the native JSON support.

My test server has mySQL 5.1 which does not allow the upgrade to happen until we update to mySQL 5.5
Is there anyway we can revert/stop the update?

Please, Andy.N, update your server :o
It's 9 years!

Or rather, wipe your server. I promise you, you're hacked.

And instead of 5.5, there's 5.7, or MariaDB.

I did make backups prior to trying this.
Unfortunately, this is an ubuntu server that is end of life support that has 5.4 php, ubuntu 14.14
I haven't been able to update php or mysql using any instructions I found online. If anyone can give input, would be much appreciated.

My first choice would be to upgrade mysql to 5.5 and then 5.7 and then find a way to upgrade PHP.
Code:
$ sudo apt-get install mysql-server-5.5
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
E: Couldn't find package mysql-server-5.5
$ sudo apt-get install mysql-server-5.6
Building dependency tree
E: Couldn't find package mysql-server-5.6
$ sudo apt-get upgrade
Building dependency tree
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.

You know, wiping and reinstalling would give you a fresh OS too ... with news repos, new mariadb, php 7, etc.etc.

If you need some linux help (other than "I want to continue with my hacked server"), gladly, but we should go into a new thread.

Certainly not the correct thread for further discussion of the issue, though certainly welcome to continue it elsewhere.

Indeed just reverting the files from a backup, or even just downloading the same version of XF 1.X you had and uploading those files should sort it too.

You know, wiping and reinstalling would give you a fresh OS too ... with news repos, new mariadb, php 7, etc.etc.

If you need some linux help (other than "I want to continue with my hacked server"), gladly, but we should go into a new thread.
Points taken. I actually have a new server set up to move this to. May as well take the time and do it.
Thanks

Certainly not the correct thread for further discussion of the issue, though certainly welcome to continue it elsewhere.

Indeed just reverting the files from a backup, or even just downloading the same version of XF 1.X you had and uploading those files should sort it too.
Perfect. uploaded the latest xf 1.5.x files on top got it back to where it was. Thanks Chris.

Now, on to playing with it on another server.

I could have noticed that... thanks for clarification!

Have you tried if it works out to convert the blobs to JSON in MySQL? I haven't gathered any experience with MySQLs JSON support so far, but if conversion works flawlessly, it might be worth doing so for people who have the necessary requirements and might open up some possibilities for (personal) addon development and/or server optimization.

is it possible that clicking on a user's nickname or avatar in mobile dispositive, go directly to profile (no display window resume)? :unsure:

Planning to upgrade one phpBB3 board straight into XF2, so I decided to test it out locally. Everything worked fine going from phpBB 3.0.14 -> XF 1.5.14 -> XF 2.0 B1. Didn't time it but conversion to utf8mb4_general_ci took under 5 mins (maybe 3ish?) on a board with bit over 130k messages.

All in all looking good (y)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom