XenForo 2.0 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
you confused me with this statement. Can you explain?
In some jobs people stay for 8-12 hours a day and are glad when they can go home, in others it needs a wife/husband to get them to come home. OK, in this case they all work at home, but it probably needs "sometimes" a little bit of wife/husband persuasion to get them to leave their pc alone for a moment and eat with them at the kitchen table. Programmers are often real workaholics. When you aim to finish this or that task today, the world around you often becomes really blurry. Some people might notice that kind of behavior on their children, when they play a good video game :D.

This argument bothers me a little. These days hosting is cheaper than ever.

If you're starting a new community and you fork out $140 for XF, $30 for a theme and $30 for your first months hosting, that's $200 right there with zero add ons.

You then spend days or weeks tweaking your forum, making it perfect, just right for your niche. It looks beautiful, it's perfect, now you just need the users. Great, you go out, start promoting, people sign up, you get a little initial buzz. But then it starts quieting down, users aren't visiting as often. They're not re-engaging.

Why aren't the conversations flowing as quickly as on other social networks you've been visiting? Why aren't users interacting and with each other as fluidly as on facebook? Why is that facebook group on a similar topic so damn active and thriving compared your beautiful feature rich forum?

Because it's missing some of the key features that are vital for helping smaller communities to grow quickly. Features that are implemented by these big networks because they work and make them a joy to use.

Are you telling me you're happy to spend all that money on forums software and skinning, and all that time and opportunity cost sunk into creating your forum only to skimp on an extra $10 or $20 a month because hosting is too expensive for features such as live update and video upload that will help drive posting and give your forum that extra chance of success?

Or would you rather just take forum software as it is today and give it a go, with a much higher chance of your new site failing because it's missing these features that every other modern web app is using? But hey, at least you saved $20 a month for the 6 months you tried to make your site work and now the site is dead and you have nothing to show. You're cool with that, right?

Large forums with momentum and dedicated user bases don't necessarily need all these features, and yes if you were to make everything live on a big board you'd need some serious freaking hardware. So you should have the option to configure or turn off resource heavy features like that. Many big boards may feel they don't need them at all.

But smaller, newer forums need the option for features like these because users simply expect them, it's what they know and are accustom too on all the big sites they use daily. They really do increase engagement, driving growth at the critical early stages. All this live crap isn't just marketing, it works.

If those features aren't available and newly registered users don't stick around because the software feels outdated and don't have the feature to re engage them promptly using the modern web technologies they've grow accustom too, then they will leave to use facebook groups, subreddits, what's app groups, or any other modern community software provided by the big boys that do utilise these live features, and have polished, fast, reliable feature rich web and mobile apps.

It's the smaller forums that are losing out here and failing. The barrier to entry to create a community based on the hosted codebase of big social media site or other community platform is so low these days, members will just abandon your site and make their own community on one of these other platforms, and likely do pretty well.
Fully agreed, XF should seriously consider this, at least, as options.

Great "stuff." None of it really pertinent. This part is however... THAT'S what makes the big boys different. :)
And therein lay another problem. The "big boys" (if referring to FB/Twitter) have a massive advantage over the forum world. They have ONE look/interface that they provide. In the forum world you know as well as I do that does not apply. You use different add-ons than I do and I use different ones than someone else does. There is no consistency that would allow a well-functional app to work in any way similar to what FB/Twitter has.
I guess you could always code a very simple app that only interfaced with the most basic features, but once an app is made then you run into the admins that want it to support all their special add-ons that bring "uniqueness" to their site or that complain because their users are complaining that the features available on the web site are not present on the app (with many of those features being from add-ons).

In some jobs people stay for 8-12 hours a day and are glad when they can go home, in others it needs a wife/husband to get them to come home. OK, in this case they all work at home, but it probably needs "sometimes" a little bit of wife/husband persuasion to get them to leave their pc alone for a moment and eat with them at the kitchen table. Programmers are often real workaholics. When you aim to finish this or that task today, the world around you often becomes really blurry. Some people might notice that kind of behavior on their children, when they play a good video game :D.
oh i get what you are saying, thank you for explaining.

I tried the Developer Preview and loved it! Does anyone have an idea when a supported AND upgradable Beta version will be released? I have a new community in the works and several anxious future members. Thanks, and excellent work so far! :D

Already started in on our XF 2 version - early days!

Can someone please start an" XF2 ready" add on directory? (even a blog site)

Screen Shot 2017-05-03 at 11.44.15.webp

A need to change the future of forum software is really needed

You say that as if it's a statement of fact. What's needed and why?

You mean to compete with social networks? They're often completely different use cases and turning all forums into something like facebook is neither wanted nor a good idea.

Better content discovery (through stuff like trending content, etc) is probably needed but that doesn't change the whole forum paradigm, it just makes content easier to find and could be built on top of XF2 easily.

XF 2 is just not doing it for me. It is just an old person who gets a face lift to look young; looks great but is still old. A need to change the future of forum software is really needed, and the team had the opportunity to do so, but chose not to.
I of course respect your opinion. I've tried the Developer's Preview and I think it's the best forum software I've ever used! And I've tried a LOT, both free and paid. I've already begun saving to get a new license and can't wait for release. :D

I of course respect your opinion. I've tried the Developer's Preview and I think it's the best forum software I've ever used! And I've tried a LOT, both free and paid. I've already begun saving to get a new license and can't wait for release. :D

Don't need a new license, just a current active one, unless you're starting a new site :p

Don't need a new license, just a current active one, unless you're starting a new site :p
I'm starting a whole new site on another domain. My existing members on my current site have already donated almost enough to get it! lol

It's the smaller forums that are losing out here and failing. The barrier to entry to create a community based on the hosted codebase of big social media site or other community platform is so low these days, members will just abandon your site and make their own community on one of these other platforms, and likely do pretty well.

Maybe I missed it somewhere but what are these other platforms that users are creating successful communities on from scratch? Be nice to have a few live examples.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom