XenForo 2.0 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reddit's voting system does a good job of putting the most informative, funny, witty, replies at the forefront. Yeah, you miss a lot of posts. But you save a lot of time. Worth the trade off to me.

But it's more impersonal than a traditional forum, where you get to know some of the members. It's just too big.

I mean, seriously .. *nobody* in here who is NEW to this thread is going to read through 145 pages of posts. And therefor most won't even participate in this discussion. And those who might have read *every* post, are the ones that feel invested from the start of the thread in this particular topic. There's a lot missing in a board, their forums, their discussions, the posts, the userbase, .. that could make participating much more compelling, right now Maybe on page 73, post 12 .. a staff member might have dropped "click here to download enterprise license to xenforo", and only those active on that day or maybe a day after might know about it. It's lost to everybody else. A lot of us as simply asking "that is great content, bring that forward through social interaction". Right now, the @OP of the post can't even edit their content, because it went past a time limit. The only solution there is now is quote-posting constantly that hidden post. I just don't get it why there's so much negativity towards people suggesting or wishing a forum could be a modern forum, ..

We have a huge thread on xenfans.com where we discuss 'why doesn't xenforo has..' and once in a while I've tried to suggest them for xf2, and xf1, so far 99% has been shot down with 'not something we want, or focus on, or care about, or blah blah'.. progress just doesn't seem welcome, and it's discouraged me from continuing to submit them. Fine, this isn't the platform that solves those questions, instead, the money goes to Paas/SaaS solutions instead. Even if it costs more. But at least the ROI is a lot higher, just because of the obvious.

It's all about content discovery. Forums don't need to massively shift their structure, they just needs to allow better discovery of content (like the license example in your post above).

Adding Post Ratings with more options than just a "Like" and add trending content based on those ratings and that's it. Job done.

Hi. I just like to pop in to this thread every 1,000 days or so and make a post.

I do have a request though - it would be great if XenForo 2.0 could include native functionality that lets my users and I check (and ideally compare) our bank balances in real time. It would be cool if it included credit unions too, since many of my users are communists.

Oh, and a thing that shows me how many Rapid Rewards miles I have on Southwest.

Other than that, I'm good with whatever.

Thanks.

Hi. I just like to pop in to this thread every 1,000 days or so and make a post.

I do have a request though - it would be great if XenForo 2.0 could include native functionality that lets my users and I check (and ideally compare) our bank balances in real time. It would be cool if it included credit unions too, since many of my users are communists.

Oh, and a thing that shows me how many Rapid Rewards miles I have on Southwest.

Other than that, I'm good with whatever.

Thanks.
:ROFLMAO: lost

Reddit's voting system does a good job of putting the most informative, funny, witty, replies at the forefront. Yeah, you miss a lot of posts. But you save a lot of time. Worth the trade off to me.

But it's more impersonal than a traditional forum, where you get to know some of the members. It's just too big.
But you have the option to drill down and read everything if you want.

So you don't have to miss anything.

But Xenforo's non-threaded threads makes reading this thread essentially impossible. It caters to the 20 people who always read it not the 100s of new visitors or less frequent visitors that could get something out of it but can't take 14 hours to read the whole thing.

I mean, seriously .. *nobody* in here who is NEW to this thread is going to read through 145 pages of posts. And therefor most won't even participate in this discussion. And those who might have read *every* post, are the ones that feel invested from the start of the thread in this particular topic. There's a lot missing in a board, their forums, their discussions, the posts, the userbase, .. that could make participating much more compelling, right now Maybe on page 73, post 12 .. a staff member might have dropped "click here to download enterprise license to xenforo", and only those active on that day or maybe a day after might know about it. It's lost to everybody else. A lot of us as simply asking "that is great content, bring that forward through social interaction". Right now, the @OP of the post can't even edit their content, because it went past a time limit. The only solution there is now is quote-posting constantly that hidden post. I just don't get it why there's so much negativity towards people suggesting or wishing a forum could be a modern forum, ..

We have a huge thread on xenfans.com where we discuss 'why doesn't xenforo has..' and once in a while I've tried to suggest them for xf2, and xf1, so far 99% has been shot down with 'not something we want, or focus on, or care about, or blah blah'.. progress just doesn't seem welcome, and it's discouraged me from continuing to submit them. Fine, this isn't the platform that solves those questions, instead, the money goes to Paas/SaaS solutions instead. Even if it costs more. But at least the ROI is a lot higher, just because of the obvious.
Which Paas Saas solutions have good content structures ? I'd love to see one.

Which Paas Saas solutions have good content structures ? I'd love to see one.
Yeah, tell me the format - any format - that would compel me to read every single post in this thread? Would I be any more inclined to do so if all the posts were on one endlessly scrolling page? Not me. ;)

Yeah, tell me the format - any format - that would compel me to read every single post in this thread? Would I be any more inclined to do so if all the posts were on one endlessly scrolling page? Not me. ;)
Name another data structure that would highlight the most important posts?

Not all good posts will be upvoted or engaged.

Name another data structure that would highlight the most important posts?

Not all good posts will be upvoted or engaged.
Umm, I'm not disagreeing. Plus, even if all the good posts were upvoted or engaged, if they numbered in the hundreds or even just dozens I probably still wouldn't read them all. ;)

Flagging individual posts as interesting and then having a link that just shows the 'interesting' posts would allow you and/or your community to water a thread down to selected highlighs. (y)

Flagging individual posts as interesting and then having a link that just shows the 'interesting' posts would allow you and/or your community to water a thread down to selected highlighs. (y)
Could use "thread marks" addon for XF, yay all our problems solved. Next!

Just kidding :) its over simplified I know.

I suppose it might be better than nothing, if you trust people to flag posts that you'd personally consider the best of the best, as opposed to posts by people they like or who are popular or whose viewpoints simply agree with their own.

Could use "thread marks" addon for XF, yay all our problems solved. Next!

Just kidding :) its over simplified I know.
And not to the point either.

Why even develop version 2 of xenforo when the devs could just say "just write a plugin for it, or customize the visible source code", NEXT! ..

Just because there's an addon implies there's a desire by the community for it (or at least some). It doesn't mean there's a solution for it, in regards to the topic at hand here.

And not to the point either.

Why even develop version 2 of xenforo when the devs could just say "just write a plugin for it, or customize the visible source code", NEXT! ..

Just because there's an addon implies there's a desire by the community for it (or at least some). It doesn't mean there's a solution for it, in regards to the topic at hand here.

Because xf2 is supposed to be Dev friendly as such make it easier to test creative ways to organise/rank/sort content.

Expecting devs to have all the answers is crazy.

Just because a mod was created doesn't mean everybody knows about it. Or considers it important

Because xf2 is supposed to be Dev friendly as such make it easier to test creative ways to organise/rank/sort content.

Expecting devs to have all the answers is crazy.

Just because a mod was created doesn't mean everybody knows about it. Or considers it important
Did you even read my post?

Did you read&understand Pierce'?

As the XF devs have told people about 200 times, XF2.0 is "not" meant to have many new features, but it is meant to be a cleanup of the inner technical stuff. Frontend features are something that will become important again at 2.1-2.2 and later.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom