XenForo 2.0 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm in a somewhat similar boat as @Stuart Wright, albeit on a much smaller scale. Even if developers do prioritize add-ons we use, the ones with multiple add-ons will take time to get through everything. People like Bob and Xon and Themehouse will have loads of work to do, and we have a few custom add-ons that will need to be upgraded to 2.0. We also can't upgrade unless there is a good forms add-on or a classifieds system for 2.0, and who knows when/if that will happen.

So I'd be surprised if we upgrade within a year of xf 2.0 going live. However, I'm eagerly awaiting an announcement so that I can plan and budget and find out which add-ons will receive priority for updating. It will also help me decide what's worth investing in now, and what's best held off til later.

I imagine many developers will start looking into XF 2.0 in-depth during the beta phase. This should hopefully enable most plugin developers to make their add ons compatible with 2.0 very shortly after the stable release.

Now, any unsupported plugins, well... :(

Because I'm expecting XF2 to be considerably better in most, if not all respects.

You're assuming there are profits. You can't make an assumption of how big any profits might be.

Larger than the costs incurred for certain. Unless, as I said, you're doing something very wrong, but I'm sure that that's not the case. :)

I think we should start a "XF 2.0 Addon Plans" thread where all Addon Devs can post their project ideas they plan to develope when XF 2.0 beta is out. Because otherwise it will happen that we have multiple addons with same features released mostly at first months. If the other devs know that already 1 or 2 are working on addon xyz, they could invest their time in other addons if they want to.

I imagine many developers will start looking into XF 2.0 in-depth during the beta phase. This should hopefully enable most plugin developers to make their add ons compatible with 2.0 very shortly after the stable release.

Now, any unsupported plugins, well... :(
The rewrite of major addons will take months. Full-time. Plenty of developers code in their free time next to a full time job. And some developers have multiple addons.
If you do the math then you can be sure that it will take a very long time before all major addons are rewritten to xenforo 2.

Even if Gold were released tomorrow, it would probably be late next year before I switched. Of course the longer it takes for it to come out, the longer it will be before I make the change.

I would like to hope that the bigger, more popular addons would have their authors see the new XF2 as part of the closed testing stages. I'm sure XF devs are fully aware of the importance of the bigger addons and they have just as much incentive to get them updated, because this will get users to update..

I'd be super happy to see the following two features in 2.0.
  1. Option to move the post date/timestamp; bottom (default) OR top. Many like to know the time and date a post was made before they read it.
  2. Option to turn off animated avatars per usergroup.
Everything else is just a bonus. ;)

I would like to hope that the bigger, more popular addons would have their authors see the new XF2 as part of the closed testing stages. I'm sure XF devs are fully aware of the importance of the bigger addons and they have just as much incentive to get them updated, because this will get users to update..
Agreed. As much as I know I'm going to want to hop on the 2.0 train asp, without some really compelling new features I just won't be able to do so until some of the addons I use get updated - members are just too reliant on them to go without. I'm too reliant on some of them.

The adaptation period of a major release is always problematic. It is problematic for small to big websites , as they all have to do a lot of work.

I am in same boat with many others. We will take our time to evaluate XF 2.0 , do detailed testing and then just analyse how much work we will have to do. However i think it will at least take 9-12 months for us to upgrade to XF 2.x series.

We tried not to use too many custom solutions but of course as every big board , we have some special customisations built to us.

XF 1.5 currently works pretty well , so we'll wait and hope the cost to upgrade will not be huge.

Like stated in this thread, I think the default XenForo style needs to be re-made. I would love a simplified color palette, no use of gradient images what so ever, and universal borders and fonts.

Honestly, the current style is not that old. Although the point is moot since I'm pretty sure it's already being indicated that the default style would be changed for XenForo 2.

How does it limit?
I think the default XenForo style needs to be re-made. I would love a simplified color palette, no use of gradient images what so ever
The current default style looks very dated.
To you perhaps. To me it has a neutral timeless look. The nice thing about this style is I can change the look very easily in the settings or I can use/buy a style that suites what I'm looking for. So if you want to re-make the style all the options are there for you to do so easily. Simplifying it limits your options.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom