XenForo 2.0 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
If anyone is expecting XF 2.0 to be done in less than 2 years, they are dreaming. It took us 5 to 6 years to get to this point (version 1.5).

Reactions: Xon
To be fair, part of that was from unfortunate events that took place, but I won't go any further than that out of respect.

To be fair, part of that was from unfortunate events that took place, but I won't go any further than that out of respect.

That's true. So let's take away three years for the sake of argument... we'd still have at least three years of solid development geared towards XF 1 series..

Something that I hope to be also improved in XF 2.0, is the mobile version.
There are some (logical) problems with layout in mobile version. Just as a simple example:
I see the avatar is being displayed in profile page. But at the end of the page! maybe because it is on sidebar.
Is it logical to display the profile photo at the end of profile page? (usually when people visit a profile page, they first want expect to see the profile image. but now they see everything and then at the end of story they see avatar)

This was just a simple example to show what I mean. Problems with layout in mobile version is not limited to things like this.

Thanks

@Mike @Chris D

When XF 2.0 comes out, will we have to upgrade our current forum?

I would prefer to be able to set up XF2.0 the way I want and then just import the contents from my current forum straight into the clean install of XF 2.0

Will XF 2.0 be optimized to import like this? I think importing into a clean install will probably cut down on the number of bugs and issues forum owners will be encountering and reporting.

There's no current plans to structure the upgrade like this.

It will be a traditional upgrade.

An import process is likely to be more problematic as it won't and can't import data which belongs to add ons. You'll lose data.

We'll obviously maintain a XF to XF importer but you should expect this to only work 2.0 -> 2.0 so if you want to do something like this you'll have to do the 2.0 upgrade first.

An import process is likely to be more problematic as it won't and can't import data which belongs to add ons. You'll lose data.
Surely xenforo will help addons migrate their data. Wouldn't it be smart to copy over all the tables so rewritten addons can find their old data ?

This is another reason why it is a traditional upgrade rather than based on an import process.

If it's a normal upgrade then the old add-on data will still be there. No further action required. It will just be ready and waiting for the add-on developers to use and update if necessary when they create an updated version of their add-on.

It's impossible to handle add-on data (that isn't in XF's own tables) during an import process because XF has no knowledge of the data which is created by the add-ons and what the names of the tables are etc.

My faith in Magic 8-balls is shattered.
Magic 8-ball never lies!
It will be a traditional upgrade.
Upgrade vs Import. This is the difference. Personally I don't see a huge reason to do a clean XF2 install just for the purposes of being clean. I remember then I used to have to wipe & re-install Windows 3.1 SP4 every 6-12 months to keep it running nice. Then XP came along and then it was once every 1-2 years. Since Windows 7, I haven't had to do that. Clean installs are not necessary if the upgrade process is awesome. We won't discuss W10 though. Let me rephrase. Please don't discuss W10.

Magic 8-ball never lies!

Upgrade vs Import. This is the difference. Personally I don't see a huge reason to do a clean XF2 install just for the purposes of being clean. I remember then I used to have to wipe & re-install Windows 3.1 SP4 every 6-12 months to keep it running nice. Then XP came along and then it was once every 1-2 years. Since Windows 7, I haven't had to do that. Clean installs are not necessary if the upgrade process is awesome. We won't discuss W10 though. Let me rephrase. Please don't discuss W10.
But... But.. Windows 10 is the bomb

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom