XenForo 2.0 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure if this has been asked before. But would XenForo 2.0 still be on the 1.x branch of the Zend Framework? Or would you move it to the 2.x branch? Or would you use a completely different open source framework? (ie - Symphony)

No information is currently available:
No questions about how 2.0 will work or "what" it will be can (or will) be answered at this point.

This post simply notes that our next step and focus (after 1.4) will be 2.0. It's a heads up and people can take from it what information they need (particularly for people working on projects related to XF).

Beyond that, when there's more information to be released, it will be released.

I can give you a 8 point list relating to data security, privacy and vulnerabilities explaining why I will never install tapatalk on my sites again. But that is another discussion. Forum runner was bought by Internet Brands which competes with many of us and who can potentially benefit from having access to your member data and other valuables in your database.

Functions that have direct access to your entire database should never be diverted to commercial third party networks.
Its a perfect example why XF should have a well designed API, so that app builders can offer apps that hook into a XF API instead of hooking directly into your database.
The XF platform should be able to talk to/integrate with other systems through API.
This is not limited to mobile apps, but applies to any device (including game consoles, smartTV, wearables), online services, software (hello wordpress) and connecting xenforo sites.

My thoughts exactly.

Yes, REST API please :)

Are you asking something like an official Xenforo Rest API?
It reminds me of this 3+ years old thread. :)

It's worth emphasizing -- as always -- that suggestions should be posted in the suggestion forum. I would suggest that most things mentioned here have threads there. You should be liking the first post of the thread to help track what people are interested in.

At this point, all I want from XF 2.0 is an overdue native article system built-in.
The pages system is actually already there, has been all along... it just sucks for usability and lacks ease of implementation, thus people don't give it much time or effort.

Not sure if this has been asked before. But would XenForo 2.0 still be on the 1.x branch of the Zend Framework? Or would you move it to the 2.x branch? Or would you use a completely different open source framework? (ie - Symphony)
That kind of detail may not even be definite, yet, but it's widely known that the total usage of Zend Framework in XenForo is actually quite minimal.

It's not impossible to believe that actually they could move away from a PHP framework completely, or even develop their own.

Mobile Mobile Mobile. Forums software is not taking the staggering change in how people access the internet seriously. My mobile visits have been increasing by 10% a year. The next generation won't be using laptops. Mobile forum skins are just ok. Forum software needs to take the next leap or we'll be usenet all over again. People keep suggesting big features that just don't work or work well on a smart phone.

My site works perfectly fine on mobiles, tablets, etc.

What's the problem with yours?

It's possible I'm in the minority, but I can't standing using forums via my iphone. It's essentially a desktop interface that tries to adjust to the smartphone. If I don't have a keyboard, mouse and a big screen, forget it. Tapatalk does a half way decent job of making using forums tolerable, but it's completely restricting. I'm quite certain my mobile users are less active. As mobile continues to grow, it will have an effect on forums as a whole. It's just the nature of the device and I think forum software needs to think about solutions.

It's possible I'm in the minority, but I can't standing using forums via my iphone. It's essentially a desktop interface that tries to adjust to the smartphone. If I don't have a keyboard, mouse and a big screen, forget it. Tapatalk does a half way decent job of making using forums tolerable, but it's completely restricting. I'm quite certain my mobile users are less active. As mobile continues to grow, it will have an effect on forums as a whole. It's just the nature of the device and I think forum software needs to think about solutions.
I don't think there will ever be a point where the forum usability via phone is on par with the forum usability via laptop. A physical keyboard will always be better than a touchscreen. A touchscreen will never be as fast and accurate as a keyboard. This is nothing that can be fixed via software.

I don't think there will ever be a point where the forum usability via phone is on par with the forum usability via laptop. A physical keyboard will always be better than a touchscreen. A touchscreen will never be as fast and accurate as a keyboard. This is nothing that can be fixed via software.

trust me, I love what xenforo is doing, but overall I fear for the industry as the mobile age takes over.

Mobiles these days are more powerful than laptops were a few years ago.

I don't think there is going to be any major issues going forwards.

If anything, mobiles are more equipped to handle rich content than they ever have been.

I think this is more opinion and comes down to personal preference.

I think this is more opinion and comes down to personal preference.
It's a fact that you can type messages faster and more accurate with a physical keyboard versus a small touchscreen. It's a fact that you can read text better on a large laptop screen versus a small phone screen. It's a fact that you can navigate faster through a forum on a laptop versus a small phone screen.

It's a fact that you can type messages faster and more accurate with a physical keyboard versus a small touchscreen. It's a fact that you can read text better on a large laptop screen versus a small phone screen. It's a fact that you can navigate faster through a forum on a laptop versus a small phone screen.

only due to a lack of imagination and innovation

So what do you suggest?
I don't have any idea. Some of the innovation will come from phone developers. Do you enjoy using forums on your phone? Imagine if only mobile phones existed. How would forums do? I think not well, if they are as they are.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom