XenForo 2.0 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think there are many widely requested, more important features that pertain to the forum product. These should be attended to or created before they even think about making a mobile application. The forum product is more important IMO. In fact, stuff the mobile app.

@sadikb there are Tapatalk and Forumrunner (with branded plans), what difference if Xenforo release an official app?

It's difficult that a new product will be better than an estabilished product like Tapatalk and Forumrunner...just my 2 cents.

Tapatalk is a bunch of **** for many forums. Because much addons will never work with tapatalk.

A native App or a WebContainer as App which shows the responsive layout and uses Push Services for Alerts will be great. But this must be work with addons. And AddOns must be build to work with this.

Let's put it another way then.
Say for argument's sake there are 100 development hours available for a release.
If 50 of them are spent on a feature which only 1% of license holders can use, resulting in much fewer features that the majority can use, that's going to mean a lot of annoyed license holders.
How do you know that only 1% of license holders can use the advanced features? In this game you're either moving forwards or your moving backwards and you seem to be aiming at standing still. It really isn't that difficult to get a Redis instance up - no more difficult than Memcache, and I reckon 50% of forum owners could do it if pushed. And that it is only going to get easier. Now you might argue that 'Big Forums' are pushing their own agenda, which there would be some truth in, but really we are trying to keep up with the twitters, kicks or whatever. Something that all forums need to do whether they realise it or not. We are looking at how to really engage our customers and keep them on our sites and we need the tools to be able to do that.

Let's put it another way then.
Say for argument's sake there are 100 development hours available for a release.
If 50 of them are spent on a feature which only 1% of license holders can use, resulting in much fewer features that the majority can use, that's going to mean a lot of annoyed license holders.

Sure, it's a trade-off, though you described a worst case scenario. The stats would look completely different if it only costs 7 hours work with 10% of the license holders having the ability to use it.

@sadikb there are Tapatalk and Forumrunner (with branded plans), what difference if Xenforo release an official app?

It's difficult that a new product will be better than an estabilished product like Tapatalk and Forumrunner...just my 2 cents.
I can give you a 8 point list relating to data security, privacy and vulnerabilities explaining why I will never install tapatalk on my sites again. But that is another discussion. Forum runner was bought by Internet Brands which competes with many of us and who can potentially benefit from having access to your member data and other valuables in your database.

Functions that have direct access to your entire database should never be diverted to commercial third party networks.
Its a perfect example why XF should have a well designed API, so that app builders can offer apps that hook into a XF API instead of hooking directly into your database.
The XF platform should be able to talk to/integrate with other systems through API.
This is not limited to mobile apps, but applies to any device (including game consoles, smartTV, wearables), online services, software (hello wordpress) and connecting xenforo sites.

Not sure if this has been asked before. But would XenForo 2.0 still be on the 1.x branch of the Zend Framework? Or would you move it to the 2.x branch? Or would you use a completely different open source framework? (ie - Symphony)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom