XenForo 2.0 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am so glad XF 2 frontend is moving towards modular structure. Maybe it's me having crazy preferences but I would so much like to see BEM philosophy implemented in XenForo. Just imagine moving blocks from one place to another and preserving their design.

Looking at the code snippets it looks like a lot of addons are going to require essentially a full rewrite to update to XF2; a mammoth task for the bigger addons I'm sure.

Just out of curiosity; is there any backward compatibility code that may allow an XF1.x structured/syntax addon to be ran on XF2 so that some, more basic, addons may remain operable (but using deprecated code) whilst a developer finds the time to rewrite? I imagine not but it's worth asking.

This was my initial thought as well. I have written some mammoth addons for a variety of sites. My payment addon is several thousand lines of code.

Having said that, I actually like the idea of doing a full rewrite. As a developer, and I think I am not the only, I always think of how I would do many things differently if I was starting over. I guess XF 2.0 is a chance for all of us to start over.

Are you going to grant access to an early alpha or kinda like that for add-on developpers ?

This was my initial thought as well. I have written some mammoth addons for a variety of sites. My payment addon is several thousand lines of code.

Having said that, I actually like the idea of doing a full rewrite. As a developer, and I think I am not the only, I always think of how I would do many things differently if I was starting over. I guess XF 2.0 is a chance for all of us to start over.
It doesn't have to be a negative thing. It's certainly going to be a considerable chunk of time to get things up to date. Of course we're in the same boat with RM 2.0 and MG 2.0. Also, in many ways, porting over big projects you've already written is the perfect way of learning the new framework.

Are you going to grant access to an early alpha or kinda like that for add-on developpers ?
We don't know what form the alpha/beta process will take, yet. Certainly there will be some form of preview, just as there is with normal second point releases. We haven't yet decided how this process will differ with XF2.0.

This debate has been had elsewhere. I think it would be unfair to only allow this to some people and not others. Just because some developers have released add-ons on here doesn't mean that's all the developers there are - there are those who develop only for their own communities and they would also need the same access for their add-ons. There may also be budding add-on developers too.

Also, in many ways, porting over big projects you've already written is the perfect way of learning the new framework.
And it will be so much fun too! :D

Seriously, I'm always up for learning new ways of doing things.

We don't know what form the alpha/beta process will take, yet. Certainly there will be some form of preview, just as there is with normal second point releases. We haven't yet decided how this process will differ with XF2.0
I can say on my part, if I were included I'd start converting add-ons to 2.0, but I most likely would not release them until 2.0 was out of beta. I've been burned by supporting beta versions before (not XF).

This debate has been had elsewhere. I think it would be unfair to only allow this to some people and not others. Just because some developers have released add-ons on here doesn't mean that's all the developers there are - there are those who develop only for their own communities and they would also need the same access for their add-ons. There may also be budding add-on developers too.
Any 'Alpha' test is always closed to X number of people. It has to be that way to maintain control.

Beta tests are usually open to a larger number of people with few restrictions.

When I think about how many tens of thousands of lines of code I may have to rewrite, fun isn't the word which springs to mind.
I don't think he means the actual rewrite is fun but learning new ways of doing stuff is fun. For me, there are "fun" tasks and there are tasks that seem to drag on. Generally, anything that involves learning falls into the fun category. The process of porting my first add-on to XenForo 2 will likely be 'fun', the process of porting the other couple dozen will likely not be fun lol.

When I think about how many tens of thousands of lines of code I may have to rewrite, fun isn't the word which springs to mind.
You really think it would be all that bad? I don't.

I'm just guessing the core functions to most add-ons would remain the same, and the I/O is all that will need to change. (DB Queries, inputs and the interface to the template system).

The add-ons that may have problems are the ones that don't do things on their own (totally add functionality) and only modify or expand existing functions. I have a few in that category myself.

And I'm a geek and proud of it. It should be fun! :D

The add-ons that may have problems are the ones that don't do things on their own (totally add functionality) and only modify or expand existing functions. I have a few in that category myself.
Oh, like my entire Essentials series (granted, they don't 'only' modify/expand but yeah...)... Yay me. lol

Agreed. But that is the general philosophy of how I write code. Extend as much as possible, never add new if you can extend something existing.

Specifically what I worry about are all the addons which add joins and selectfields to existing queries, then rely on the data being available.

I am assuming there will be an extended beta process. Established and highly customized sites are not going to be updating soon, so we will have time. An extended beta process allows the existing addon authors to update their addons.

Specifically what I worry about are all the addons which add joins and selectfields to existing queries, then rely on the data being available.
In case it wasn't really clear from Mike's code example, this is somewhat a thing of the past.

Of course you can write queries in the traditional way if you need to, but most of the core database interaction revolves around the Finder and Entity system. Generally rather than calling a generic, modular model function with various arguments passed in, you will instead use the Finder system to build your query in whatever way you need to. Generally if there is a reusable function, such as, for example, getting a list of trophies for the list, rather than this returning the list of trophies, it will instead return the Finder object which you can then add further conditions to as needed.

Nobody has any idea
By design. Xenforo LTD hasn't informed customers about almost anything regarding the future.

.. on behalf of KAMC (CMAK? KMAC?)
Probably MCA...........K.

but sometimes patience is a virtue.
Sure.
But in this instance, what are we waiting for ?

You've let the XF developers take you this far, you've seen their 2010 vision - just get on board and have a little blind, uninformed faith.
edited.

We probably need to look at consolidating that information to somewhere so that it is easy to find.
The perpetual problem of forums.

The Silver lining is this: Xenforo 1.x is the best forum ever created. And considering the miserable failed attempts at besting Xenforo (vB5, IPB4), there is no reason to go elsewhere.

That's rude. They're posting about what they are doing. If they gave specific features for the entire system then the anticipation and excitement would be ruined. Plus then people would just be rushing and competitors would have a heads up to copy. Just because Kier isn't posting on here doesn't mean he's 11 periods away from Mike, Chris, and Ashley. It probably means he's busy.. working.

They're posting about what they are doing.
I'm not sure getting a snippet of 1% of the plans enables people to plan for the future.

I'm baffled
I'm baffled Daniel had time to count my periods but not deliver the addon I helped crowdfund.
I'm baffled that Mike announced XF 2.0 on Jul 30, 2014. It was a huge deviation from the usual Xenforo policies of "don't say anything".
I thought it was weird on that day. Today, it seems even more baffling.

"XF1 is the best forum ever created" :confused:
It is by almost every measure of a forum.

Let's stick to what (I feel) is obvious.
#1) Xenforo is the best forum software out there. The utter failure of vB5 and the seemingly irrelevant IPB4 makes the amazingness of Xenforo 1.x even more impressive. Honestly, I find it surprising how great XF is vs. the rest.
#2) I can't wait for Xenforo 2.0.
#3) Xenforo LTD bit off more than they can chew in Xenforo 2.0. IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom