XenForo 2.0 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm just worrying about how much time I'll have to give myself to figure out how to code add-ons for XF 2.0... The again, it didn't take too long to figure it out coming from vB.

(However, some parts of XF are complex. I'm still scared of venturing into the permissions or template sections of the XF source...)

Liam

No XenForo 2.0 until some time in 2016 in any format - alpha, beta, preview or stable.
No time period in 2016 provided, whether 1st quarter (Jan,Feb,March), second quarter (April,May,June), third quarter (July,August,September) or fourth quarter (October,November,December).
Please correct me if I'm wrong but I don't believe anyone from XF has said that 2.0 is due out sometime in 2016? It could very well be sometime in 2017 or God forbid 2018. :eek:

I'm just worrying about how much time I'll have to give myself to figure out how to code add-ons for XF 2.0... The again, it didn't take too long to figure it out coming from vB.

(However, some parts of XF are complex. I'm still scared of venturing into the permissions or template sections of the XF source...)

Liam
It won't take people too long, I'm sure.

Please correct me if I'm wrong but I don't believe anyone from XF has said that 2.0 is due out sometime in 2016? It could very well be sometime in 2017 or God forbid 2018. :eek:
Essentially, it's still going to take a while for 2.0 to be ready. To be clearer, I wouldn't anticipate seeing that preview/alpha/beta/stable process until some time in 2016.

Reactions: HWS
line before the start of the last sentences
https://xenforo.com/community/threads/whats-next-for-xenforo.79603/page-58#post-994567
In fact, the responded portion of the posters quote I was responding to said this exactly in Mike's post
To be clearer, I wouldn't anticipate seeing that preview/alpha/beta/stable process until some time in 2016.

While you can still write CSS directly, LESS is now the primary language for styling. If you're not familiar with LESS, it's effectively CSS that's more powerful, including things like nesting selectors, mixins, and color manipulation functions. You can read more here: http://lesscss.org/
Will there be also changes in classes/IDs naming, i.e. using methodologies such as BEM, OOCss, Smacss? Personally, I like the current implementation of camelCase/CamelCase (this is what I'm using since I know CSS btw :)).

Maybe I'm reading too much in the 1.5.4 and 1.5.5 upgrades but they're all about XF2. The transition will be smoothier than we think.

The only real reference to XF2 is the fact that they're advising that customers are running at least PHP 5.4.

When I saw the first version of Xenforo, I was delighted, it was compared to other forums software is very innovative, especially in terms of the user interface and navigation. I very much hope that the second version will be to keep pace with the times and perhaps even with some groundwork ahead of the future, give the guys time to do what we will not be disappointed in their expectations, although I must admit, the longer I'm wait, the higher the expectations =)

Just to echo the above, although we haven't decided specifics, yet, as Mike said yesterday there would be an "extended period of testing". This is going to ensure the smoothest possible transition for everyone involved and ultimately shape the final product.
@Chris D the main request of your customs is mobile app please put that one into consideration.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom