XenForo 2.0 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
The thing about mobile apps is that people really want them. They may just download apps but not use them EVER; but they keep asking for it. The only thing that's missing from the responsive design is that it doesn't push notifications - which our members want! If there's an alert - people want the notification on their mobile.

The default theme isn't really as mobile friendly as I'd like, but I no longer code for a living and don't have the patience with CSS anymore to even bother attempting to do what I want. But a more mobile friendly theme at smaller screen widths would be a big step. (Essentially, just enlarging tappable links as "buttons," and tapping an entire "cell" in the thread list to load the thread...that sort of thing, making the tappable targets larger.) Adding push (even if it were pushed from a process running on our own server) would be the icing on the cake. As for installing an "app," it would not be hard to create something they could download that puts our icon on their home screen and runs Chrome as an "application" (no browser "frame", if you will). I do that now, manually. Works nicely.

Tapatalk became popular for a reason and it's not because of their support for a broad array of features for each platform that's supported. It's a very basic, simple, fast and easy to use app with push support. Enough to generate between 5-10 million installs via Google Play alone.

And admins are dropping Tapatalk as well, due to their ongoing distrust of the company, the poor support, broken features, and continual security and privacy issues they have. It is falling out of favor. I dumped it three years ago. Members complained briefly but haven't asked for it since. Another few years and they'll be out of the game.

I am going to read through more of this thread when I have time, after the holidays. Anything being done to improve the mobile experience would be greatly appreciated. I am making my list of suggestions already, in fact. ;) Very excited to hear about the progress thus far.

I hope the approach to username changes takes place in 2.0 :P Becomes a deffered process or something, coz users with lots of posts/likes getting their UN changed even on my VPS isn't possible.

Apart from that, really looking forward to 2.0, have always been surprised by XenForo development :)

I hope the approach to username changes takes place in 2.0 :p Becomes a deffered process or something, coz users with lots of posts/likes getting their UN changed even on my VPS isn't possible.

Apart from that, really looking forward to 2.0, have always been surprised by XenForo development :)
Oh yeah, I forgot the content changes need to happen, since usernames are stored in tables and must be updated. That'd be a pain for big boards with users with a lot of content.

I hope the approach to username changes takes place in 2.0 :p Becomes a deffered process or something, coz users with lots of posts/likes getting their UN changed even on my VPS isn't possible.
And with this option disabled?
5OFb0O8.png

In case I haven't said so already - please simplify the permissions system. It is utterly over-complicated compared to vb3 - especially when managing moderators. You have your usergroup permissions and your individual user permissions, but that isn't enough - you still have to manually set each one as a moderator, and then individually set up each one's individual moderator permissions. Even then, although you can set moderators to "ban" using the spam cleaner, you cannot set moderators to simply "ban" without using the spam cleaner!

Xenforo does a lot of things really well, and almost everything else sleek and simple as required. But the whole permissions system has a logic that only a programmer could love.

In case I haven't said so already - please simplify the permissions system. It is utterly over-complicated compared to vb3 - especially when managing moderators. You have your usergroup permissions and your individual user permissions, but that isn't enough - you still have to manually set each one as a moderator, and then individually set up each one's individual moderator permissions. Even then, although you can set moderators to "ban" using the spam cleaner, you cannot set moderators to simply "ban" without using the spam cleaner!

Xenforo does a lot of things really well, and almost everything else sleek and simple as required. But the whole permissions system has a logic that only a programmer could love.

Its a catch 22, the power of the XenForo permissions allows you a whole new level of flexibility and ease of management than older systems, however with having all that extra flexibility, comes a level of complexity.

Personally I think the permissions are the best i've ever used, and are quick and easy to use.

If you are referring to simplifying the interface.. I'd agree.
If you are referring to simplifying the abilities... I have to strongly DISAGREE.
That granularity is what makes XenForo as powerful as it is. Is it easy for someone to just walk straight in and immediately start using it - no. But are you restricted from being able to granularly control abilities like you are with IPS - again no. You can reach the point of over-simplification (I call it dumbing down) to where it's not really useful for the power user.
The whole point of having to add them in as a separate moderator (and then grant them specific moderator abilties) is so that you don't have to have 3-10 moderator groups that have different capabilities assigned to them. Grant THAT user what rights they need.
And what I find ironic, you want it made simpler, but you are then asking for MORE granularity in the abilities. :D

I think what he's asking for is what most of us want -- being able to set permissions in one place in one step, not having to go about doing it twice or thrice in different places before achieving what we could do in a single step in vB3. Even most of us who've been at this for years had a learning curve with this because it simply doesn't make much logical sense from the end-user's POV (anyone who isn't intimately familiar with XF, anyway) and from our past experiences with the former "best" forum software out there.

It's something that a permissions wizard interface could easily handle if done properly and I think I've suggested that before. Probably over 90% of permissions tasks most admins do are repetitive and the same for everyone, so having a wizard guide you through the process with a few questions would be infinitely more user-friendly, time effective and less error prone than using the overly complicated current system.

Basically, the way the system is set up now is that it allows maybe 10% of admins to split permissions further down than they could before, while the other 90% are wasting time because they don't need them split further down than in, say, vB3. That's the crux of the issue.

In case I haven't said so already - please simplify the permissions system. It is utterly over-complicated compared to vb3 - especially when managing moderators. You have your usergroup permissions and your individual user permissions, but that isn't enough - you still have to manually set each one as a moderator, and then individually set up each one's individual moderator permissions.

I think what he's asking for is what most of us want -- being able to set permissions in one place in one step, not having to go about doing it twice or thrice in different places before achieving what we could do in a single step in vB3.

This makes a lot of sense. I've learned how to use the current system, so I don't care. However, it has always been puzzling why making someone a moderator, making someone an admin, or giving someone administrator privileges couldn't be done through the system that we handle other permissions. It seems simpler to have all permissions in the same list. We're big boys and girls and can handle the responsibility of figuring out which permissions we want to give people. I mean if we can give hard-delete privileges from that list, it's already a place where we could do significant damage if we screw up.

I do love that there are a million privileges to fiddle with. I love configurability. The fact that they are divided up into categories in the permissions list means that my time isn't wasted.

Anyhoo, that's just my perspective. It's presented respectfully and I'd love to hear other's perspectives, respectfully presented.

Last edited:
It's something that a permissions wizard interface could easily handle if done properly and I think I've suggested that before. Probably over 90% of permissions tasks most admins do are repetitive and the same for everyone, so having a wizard guide you through the process with a few questions would be infinitely more user-friendly, time effective and less error prone than using the overly complicated current system.
If you are doing repetitive, then you are not really using it as designed... since the only thing you should have to be changing is either to grant/deny access. not setting the same settings up for each group (which is what repetitive indicates to me).

Basically, the way the system is set up now is that it allows maybe 10% of admins to split permissions further down than they could before, while the other 90% are wasting time because they don't need them split further down than in, say, vB3. That's the crux of the issue.
No, the real crux of the issue is you are basing the "view" aspect from a software that was originally released 6+ years ago. Abilities (and requirements) have increased since then.
The point is, should that granularity be given up because people cannot take the time (or lack the ability to learn) the more powerful aspects of it.

I think (and I've said this before and will continue to say it) it is more of a UI issue than the granularity aspect (related to the # of options)..

This is all somewhat off topic. A suggestion has been opened surrounding improvements to the permission system and that is the appropriate place for the on-going discussion.

I have a question. Can you please give us a time estimation as to when xf 2.0 can be expected? I understand that you can not give a precise date, but a rough estimation will do.

The reason that I am asking is because I do plan on developing a social groups add on. According to my calculations, that would take me a couple of months. So, if xf 2.0 is released in several months, then that would render my work useless, because from reading in this topic, all major add ons most certainly will have to be re written again to work with 2.0. And I do not want to waste my time. Instead I can hold off till 2.0 is released.

So, if xf 2.0 is released in several months, then that would render my work useless,
Not necessarily. Many people who don't plan on updating soon might be interested and when 2.0 does come out all you would have to do is upgrade the add-on for when people upgrade xF.

Not necessarily. Many people who don't plan on updating soon might be interested and when 2.0 does come out all you would have to do is upgrade the add-on for when people upgrade xF.

I understand, but when a new major version is released, most users will try to upgrade their forums as soon as possible. e.g, in a couple of months or so. Still, not much time. And I am talking for a big add on, that would need that long to be developed.

I understand, but when a new major version is released, most users will try to upgrade their forums as soon as possible. e.g, in a couple of months or so. Still, not much time. And I am talking for a big add on, that would need that long to be developed.
You have time. People won't be able to upgrade as soon as possible because they will be waiting for people like you to release an XF 2.0 update to their add ons first ;) And styles of course.

To be clearer, I wouldn't anticipate seeing that preview/alpha/beta/stable process until some time in 2016.
This sentense let me know how poor is my English. I can't understand it at all. Could you give us a more clear saying?

This sentense let me know how poor is my English. I can't understand it at all. Could you give us a more clear saying?
No XenForo 2.0 until some time in 2016 in any format - alpha, beta, preview or stable.
No time period in 2016 provided, whether 1st quarter (Jan,Feb,March), second quarter (April,May,June), third quarter (July,August,September) or fourth quarter (October,November,December).

You have time. People won't be able to upgrade as soon as possible because they will be waiting for people like you to release an XF 2.0 update to their add ons first ;) And styles of course.
What! You mean XF 2.0 isn't going to include the functions of every add-on in the RM and have the 20 styles (10 dark 10 light) as default install?
Well.. I am SO disappointed. :p

I know I won't be performing an upgrade until the major add-ons that my sites are dependent upon are done. The style I can get around, but the add-ons are the important thing(s).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom