XenForo 2.0 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anything_Is_Possible.jpg

if XF 2.0 not gonna give us reddit style posting or at least an option to..i feel many people will jump to that new forum software by 2018

I think the posting style on Reddit is the worst thing about the site. I believe a lot of people would agree with me on that too.

I think it depends on what you mean with reddit style posting. If you mean post replies then I can dig that. But if you mean the clumsy interface then see the post above mine.

Reddit is a perfect example of how even a horribly clumsy and basic UI is no real detriment to people's widespread participation. It's all about the content and/or the community -- people would respond even with smoke signals if they had to. To me though, going from forums to Reddit is like going back to the stone age, but nobody over there cares about us forum purists. They don't have to.

i just hope for a build-in user group management tool.
Assign moderators to put users in a usergroup, instead of only the administrator needing to do everything.
I also hope they can make current plugins easy to convert- or better yet compatible.

I've been waiting to migrate to Xenforo for over a year now because I am anxious to see where Xenforo 2 will take online communities. Am really hoping to see some previews soon.

I've considered migrating to Xenforo 1.5 but don't want to migrate to 1.5 only to then migrate to 2.0. Anyone else holding off on migrating for similar reasons?

XenForo 2.0 isn't a different software platform, it's the same software, so you wouldn't be migrating when XenForo 2.0 comes out, you'd just be up updating from XenForo 1.5 to XenForo 2.0. It's just like when Firefox or Chrome update when a new version is available. It may be an extensive process given that it's going to be a new first-point release, but all the same, really.

In any case, XenForo 2.0 is still a ways away as there has been no word on any previews and the like, so I'd recommend migrating to XenForo 1.5 now.

XenForo 2.0 isn't a different software platform, it's the same software, so you wouldn't be migrating when XenForo 2.0 comes out, you'd just be up updating from XenForo 1.5 to XenForo 2.0. It's just like when Firefox or Chrome update when a new version is available. It may be an extensive process given that it's going to be a new first-point release, but all the same, really.

In any case, XenForo 2.0 is still a ways away as there has been no word on any previews and the like, so I'd recommend migrating to XenForo 1.5 now.

My primary concern is that Xenforo 2.0 will be a significant departure from 1.5 (and perhaps forums as we currently know them) and as a result I will need to re-work the forum design and customisations twice. It seems like a waste of resources to spend a lot of money migrating to 1.5 only to have to spend a lot more upgrading to 2.0.

With more than 15 months having passed since the formal announcement of Xenforo 2 development I am hoping that we will get some previews soon, so I can judge whether or not it is worth waiting a little longer so I can devote my financial resources to migrating to 2.0 and skip 1.5 entirely.

With more than 15 months having passed since the formal announcement of Xenforo 2 development I am hoping that we will get some previews soon, so I can judge whether or not it is worth waiting a little longer so I can devote my financial resources to migrating to 2.0 and skip 1.5 entirely.
It is very likely that the private and public beta process for 2.0 will take a significant amount of time, because they're very quality oriented. Personally, I would go ahead with the 1.5 version instead of holding off for 2.0

I've been waiting to migrate to Xenforo for over a year now because I am anxious to see where Xenforo 2 will take online communities. Am really hoping to see some previews soon.

I've considered migrating to Xenforo 1.5 but don't want to migrate to 1.5 only to then migrate to 2.0. Anyone else holding off on migrating for similar reasons?
I'd recommend XF 1.5 on the basis that most all of the bugs and issues have been worked out and everyone in the community is familiar with it and can offer solutions to most of the problems you'll come up against; with 2.0 everyone will be new to it and if you're trying to migrate to 2.0 whilst everyone is upgrading to it as well, you might not get as immediate or comprehensive community support as everyone will be trying to solve their own upgrade problems. (y)

Plus, moving to XF now gets you used to the set-up, permissions, concepts, add-on installation, tweaking and optimising, styling, etc. so that when 2.0 comes out you'll be familiar with most of how everything "XF" works - and what's to say you'll want to move to 2.0 straight away anyway? You might like to stay on 1.5 for a while until 2.0 is developed further!!

Just go for it. :D

Just to echo what the others have said, really there's no real need to wait. It may be a while yet, if you include the various testing phases. XF 2.0 shouldn't be a reason to hold back. Bear in mind too, there will likely be a transitional period where we are still maintaining XF 1.5 after 2.0 is released

Not all communities are the same, and mine is a conservative community that doesn't like change. As a result, when I make a fundamental change such as a change of platform I want to do it once and do it right.

If XF 2.0 is a radical change from 1.5 then I'm shooting myself in the foot changing now.

My point is that I want to understand what XF 2.0 is going to be so I can make an informed decision about what the right decision is for my community. Seeing some kind of preview of XF 2.o is crucial to being able to make that informed decision. My guess is I'm not alone.

It's a fair assessment to make and only you understand your community. If you upgrade now, there's a chance you may install an addon for XF1.5 only to find out the developer can't update it to XF2.0 for another 6 months and you're screwed for 6 months.

You can hold off on updating to 2.0 from 1.5 until you're ready or, as you say, you can hold off altogether and just switch platforms at XF2.0. Either way, that's your own procedural call.

My point is that I want to understand what XF 2.0 is going to be so I can make an informed decision about what the right decision is for my community. Seeing some kind of preview of XF 2.o is crucial to being able to make that informed decision. My guess is I'm not alone.

I appreciate your point, but, like the rest of us, you are not going to get a preview of (or any other substantive information about) XF 2.0 right now - the developers won't give anything away until they are ready.

Looks like you'll be joining the crowd along with the rest of us who are keen to see what 2.0 brings. (y)

I appreciate your point, but, like the rest of us, you are not going to get a preview of (or any other substantive information about) XF 2.0 right now - the developers won't give anything away until they are ready.

Looks like you'll be joining the crowd along with the rest of us who are keen to see what 2.0 brings. (y)

Don't get me wrong. I'm a big fan of XF. I just wish I knew what XF 2.0 was going to bring to the table so I could make some more concrete plans. I'm ready to give vB the big heave-ho but my forum is more than 11 years old and any changes must be very carefully planned and executed. :)

Don't get me wrong. I'm a big fan of XF. I just wish I knew what XF 2.0 was going to bring to the table so I could make some more concrete plans. I'm ready to give vB the big heave-ho but my forum is more than 11 years old and any changes must be very carefully planned and executed. :)
This post that I've quoted from gives more details about XenForo 2.0 but the crux, regarding features at least, is this:

Our first and foremost goal is to reach rough feature parity with XenForo 1.4

As XenForo 1.5 is now out, I would assume that it would now be feature parity with this.

Indeed - I've lost members due to poorly planned and executed changes in the past; valuable members who added a lot to the community.

I learned my lesson and when I switched to XF it was a much better experience all-round (for my members and for me). The key was to give lots and lots of info beforehand, keep the style colours and icons as similar as possible, let them try it on a test forum, do videos of how the basics work in the "new" software (this was a major plus and really helped), and give tons of support on the day of switch.

Good luck (whenever you finally take the plunge!) (y)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom