XenForo 2.0 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
That would cause more issues due to claims of favouritism, etc.

Why should some developers be given advance information and not others?

What would the criteria be?

A public roadmap would probably cause problems, however communicating with add-on developers as HWS pointed out has clear benefits. Pick only the best and most trustworthy so you know they will not leak.

This is already the case. At least 2 add-on developers have acces to early development releases and know about the future of XenForo.

I personally, find that already very unfair, because all other developers have to guess what my come up.

A road map would be fair, because all developers would be treated the same. Like it should be.

That would cause more issues due to claims of favouritism, etc.

Brogan, you know this is already fact (favouritism). 2 developers know more than all the other...

In fact, at the time you started to sell your add-on, @Mike should have published a road map to get all other developers on par.

Which two add-on developers?

If you're referring to Chris as one of them, that's obvious considering he is employed by XF as a developer.

I hope you don't mean me as the second one?

Other than a few small snippets which Mike has shared, I am not involved with XF2 development at all.

ther than a few small snippets which Mike has shared

Snippets are enough to know what may come up... And it is also more than all other developers have access to.

I doubt, Chris plans a new add-on soon, but if, he has an advantage over all the other add-on developers.

When I say snippets, I mean a few lines of code at most, taken out of context.
To clarify, I don't have access to any code nor builds related to XF2.

Even if I did, it would be understandable considering I work for the company...

So you're suggesting I would exploit my position as a XenForo employee for my own personal gain? That's quite an accusation.

So you're suggesting I would exploit my position as a XenForo employee for my own personal gain? That's quite an accusation.

I am saying that you are an add-on developer (like Brogan) and have access to informations what may be included in XenForo before all other developers.

I am sure neither you nor Brogan will take that information for your personal gains. But you still have more information like the rest.

Pick only the best and most trustworthy so you know they will not leak.

This was attempted before. It did not go well as people felt left out.

There will most likely be alpha/beta releases months before the first official stable release of XF2.0 so most people will have more than enough time to get to grips with things.

This was attempted before. It did not go well as people felt left out.

As said, this would also not be very transparent or fair.
I know that XenForo is a trustworthy company who would never do that.

Also it is, like it is. It's up to the owners to decide what they do or not (and if they pick up the suggestions).
It also depends on what plans they have with the business and the software.

I have 18 add-ons installed plugging gaps not filled by the core. The biggest and most appreciated add-on I recently purchased was the XFMG superbly coded by Chris D and an official add-on at that. That to me was a biggie. The remainder fill the holes I needed filling. There are other add-ons I would like, but they cost too much and there is no guarantee that support will continue, nor whether they will be updated to cater for the changes in XF2. That's why it's important for the larger feature requests to be in-house. However, and again this is my main point, the developers may be spending time on something no one really wants; I'm not saying that is a case in fact, just a possibility.

If we are to stay excited and on-board then it's only natural that we would like 'some' information as to what's in store. Unless, and heaven forbid, it's so boring and mundane that it's not worth mentioning lol.

As someone who has committed to XF, over and above the other contenders, I would appreciate knowing what's in store for the future rather than having it pushed at me "when it's done" and perhaps find that it's not that great and may even end up costing me if my purchased add-ons won't work, or will even be updated.

XF is a sterling piece of kit and we know that it has to evolve in order to compete and survive, but there is a serious lack of information on the table; we don't even know how far along the development of XF2 is, or even if it's underway. This is a piece of forum software, not a national security issue that needs to be cloaked in secrecy. The competition are unlikely to steal any secrets because they're so wrapped up in their own problems of re-developing their own software.

I wasn't advocating 'development by consensus', that would never work; however input, comments, suggestions all help towards making a better product that caters for the needs of the few as well as the many; I believe it's called having 'options'.

I wasn't advocating 'development by consensus', that would never work; however input, comments, suggestions all help towards making a better product that caters for the needs of the few as well as the many; I believe it's called having 'options'.
That would be the suggestions forum.

The developers read what is posted there and take it into account when planning new features or enhancing existing ones.

I appreciate that, but there is 'nothing' indicating what features are being considered. There's absolutely nothing of any worth to anyone that gives a hint of what's to come - other than navigation menus, which is a no-brainer and was mentioned several months ago. This was the whole point of the issue regarding the 'suggestions' forum - it's all just talk with no value to the end user.

not a national security issue that needs to be cloaked in secrecy.

It is the secrecy of it's owners. They can do what they want. It does not harm anybody.

Except the add-on developer community who currently turns away from the most requested features, because those are most likely to be included soon (even if soon means years). Which would not be the case, if a developer could calculate how much time he may app. have to sell such an add-on.

Or perhaps add-on developers decided they just didn't want to work on those features?

You can't claim to know the reasoning of any add-on developer, never mind speak for all of them.

Or perhaps add-on developers decided they just didn't want to work on those features?

Yes, maybe.

This is also a decision the owners have to make. If a roadmap can encourage or focus the add-on development community to provide more attractive add-ons or not. Or if a roadmap can attract more professional potential customers to buy the software or not.

I've made my suggestion and offered my opionion. This is why this thread exists, isn't it?

It is the secrecy of it's owners. They can do what they want. It does not harm anybody.

They can do what they want, but is what they 'want to do' actually the right thing to do? When you want to sell a product to end users you need to excite and engage them, not frustrate and confuse them; that's what chases them away.

As for add-on developers, they create for two reasons - to make money or to help people get more from the product because they can. I'm not adverse to either, but if you are going to take money from someone you need to be committed to supporting them as they supported you. We have some amazing developers offering their wares and I fully appreciate all that they do and some of them really do excite with what they have to offer. Naturally if a version of what they are offering is included in the next manifestation of XF2, that will hurt them (if they are monetized) and it's hard, but that's life - will live in the world of the 'school of hard knocks'. I've got 60 years of that crap tucked under my belt lol. However, opportunity is always just around the corner and perhaps these amazing developers will come up with something even better to excite us - who knows?

What is apparent from the discussions that have taken place so far is that there are features that people want (some are red hot towards them, others lukewarm, or even stony cold) but no one knows what's on the table. There's nothing in the air to excite, but the frustration levels are growing and that's never a good thing to nurture. ;)

Could you imagine the frustration levels if XF2 wasn't mentioned. How many would be frustrated there was no indication of 1.5 yet? Better yet, of any work?

If there's nothing to get frustrated about then you don't get frustrated, but 6 months on since the first 'official' mention of XF2 and nada! Nothing! That's frustrating lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom