XenForo 1.5 discussion and feedback

That's not strictly true.

We would of course aim for that to be the case, but realistically if you add more features, they will potentially have a performance cost. Realistically, though, the performance cost is likely to be negligible.

Why would an update decrease performance? If anything, updates improve performance.

Increased functionality doesn't improve performance.

Does anyone have Webmaster Tools data showing load times before/after upgrading to 1.5?

Has anyone posted performance numbers after moving to 1.5?

Besides being able to remove a couple of addons because of now-core features, I'm really only interested in thread tagging. If there is any sort of performance decrease I'll happily stay on 1.4

Anything?

Increased functionality doesn't improve performance.

Does anyone have Webmaster Tools data showing load times before/after upgrading to 1.5?
I don't know what kind of set up you have or development knowledge or of any existing issues you may already have with performance. That said, I think you might be more worried than you need to be. I'm aware of several large forums that have updated to 1.5 already, some were running beta versions, and everything was fine. XenForo's software scales very well, performance issues (even on shared hosting) are few and far between, etc..

Why are you switching from IPB?

A multitude of reasons, really, but the two showstoppers are:
  1. IPB has switched to using CKEditor, WYSIWYG only, with essentially zero support for posting/editing BB codes. BB codes are absolutely critical for my site.
  2. IPB 4 is slower than molasses. If I search for New Posts here on the XF support boards, the pages display instantaneously. With IPB 4, I've timed it, it takes 7-10 seconds, on average, for me to pull up each page of new posts. Read a new post, and go back to the list on XF, instant, do the same with IPB, it's another 3-4 seconds to get back to the list. No thanks! IPS also touts cloud services, so I'm going to assume this isn't a simple case of Ferrari server (XF 1.5) vs VW Bug server (IPB 4.0.12.1.wewerejustkidding.2).
I had a great seven years with IPB, but I have no choice but to jump ship now. :( I think the only thing I'm really going to miss is that IPB 4 has a great built-in system for dragging and dropping widgets wherever you want them. Hopefully that is something that might find its way into XF 2.

Last edited:
I too loved a lot about IPB. Still think 3.4 is great but no way would I start a board on anything but xf. I deeply regret not having the courage to switch my biggest board from vB 3.8 to xf sooner.

IPB 4 is slower than molasses

I looked at this back in the previous version. Was too slow then. Plus the system seems too locked down. Never interesting. I see a few boards on it now (Hip Forums, for example), and I think they've all made a mistake.

I looked at this back in the previous version. Was too slow then. Plus the system seems too locked down. Never interesting. I see a few boards on it now (Hip Forums, for example), and I think they've all made a mistake.
Hmm.... don't have a lot of content on mine yet - but it seems about as snappy as my XenForo sites that have similar post amounts.

I did quite a big upgrade from 1.1.2 all the way up to 1.5.0 in one go! I decided it was prudent to do this on a test clone of the forum first (thanks @Brogan for the guide and @Mouth for posting up a script with rsync and mysql commands which was really handy).

The test upgrade went perfect, the live one had an Internal Server Error but picked up from where it left off and went through OK.

< 50 minutes from start to finish, to get back to a working forum with the templates and customisations back in.

I was expecting the worst with customised templates but the merge system is brilliant! So easy! And I didn't need to revert too many style properties either, just mostly stuff that wasn't playing in responsive.

I realise I have new features which were probably brought in through 1.2, 1.3, 1.4 etc but loving how this software has evolved. We are overjoyed to shove the report centre were it belongs and get back to good old fashioned report threads, edit history is brilliant, moderator alerts (for when you edit or delete stuff to tell the user why) are genius.

Very happy then with 1.5 and XF remains a stunningly good value forum platform.

1.5 is a solid upgrade, comes with quite a bit of features that we won't use, but also many very welcome ones that we will, so... keep up the good work, Xensies. (y)

I'd like support for other payment processors besides Paypal. Authorize.net Authorize.net is one of the largest payment gateways in the world and submits billions of credit card transactions, and it's relatively easy to add support for it, and since it was supported by one of your competing products for many years, it might be a good idea to offer that as a payment option in addition to paypal for people migrating to your software. Paypal is for small time operations.

BTW Authorize.net's parent company is Cybersource which was acquired by VISA, Inc. So it's not like you are wasting your time adding payment support for some small time company, we use Authorize.net all the time on shopping carts we develop.

New on 1.5.1

When navigating to an anchor link, adjust the scroll position to account for the fixed height header.

Is there a style or setting where I can adjust for my own custom design's fixed header height?

No, this is specific to the control panel. You could potentially adapt the JS for your needs on the public side though (but it'd have to be duplicated).

Just passing by in this thread to say i'm so extremely happy with this software. I had no idea such a thing even existed out of the box. I'm an old school Vbull user and while Vbull 4 is still great, Xenforo takes everything to the next level.
Now if only i didn't make the mistake of buying Vbull 5 :(

Just passing by in this thread to say i'm so extremely happy with this software. I had no idea such a thing even existed out of the box. I'm an old school Vbull user and while Vbull 4 is still great, Xenforo takes everything to the next level.
Now if only i didn't make the mistake of buying Vbull 5 :(

Haha! I came pretty close! I am real old school our forum started in 2001. I had the VB software since like 2003! As a matter of fact, had VB not been rude and nasty with me, I wouldn't have thought to look for reviews on them before upgrading. I had not had a reason to deal with them for years, but it was very obvious something had changed with operations and management. One of our competing sites tried to upgrade their VB a few months ago and it screwed up the whole site, so they ended up rolling back. I guess they are too prideful to suck it up and copy us. lol

Haha! I came pretty close! I am real old school our forum started in 2001. I had the VB software since like 2003! As a matter of fact, had VB not been rude and nasty with me, I wouldn't have thought to look for reviews on them before upgrading. I had not had a reason to deal with them for years, but it was very obvious something had changed with operations and management. One of our competing sites tried to upgrade their VB a few months ago and it screwed up the whole site, so they ended up rolling back. I guess they are too prideful to suck it up and copy us. lol

Oh man, don't get me started. I needed some basic support and they way they replied felt like i was harassing them. And even more after using Xenforo i'm just wondering how the new team made something as bad as version 5. I tried to like it. I installed it, used it but man...it was just horrible. It looks ok but it's just...wrong. Thank god version 4 was included in the license so i was able to use that for a site. But now i discoverd Xenforo it's all i'll be using in the future. it's ridiculous how good it is. I know i sound like a paid poster and i usually don't talk like this but i'm really that happy with it.

Top Bottom