XF 1.4 XenForo 1.4 Improvements to Replying

XenForo radically improves the ability of your users to reply in a concise, accurate and intuitive way.

Watch the video to find out how.

YouTube / Vimeo

Update: in answer to a question about whether or not this works across multiple pages / threads...
YouTube / Vimeo

Last edited:
Thanks for your suggestion Chris, I will report it as a bug, even if it might be unsolvable apparently.

At least, XF's solution works on iOS... Burning Board for example already had a very good partial quote functionality, but it appears it does not even work on iOS alltogether. So, thumbs up to XF for this one.

I will say that it's intentional and related to the events in use. You will see the same on the desktop (in Chrome/Safari) if you use a keyboard to manipulate your selection.

I love this new partial quote functionality. However, there is an annoyance indeed and in my opinion that would be when you use iOS. I tested this new functionality on my iPad and it's a bit awkward seeing the [+quote|reply] popup immediately the moment you press your finger on the text...and it keeps moving with your finger, until you let your finger go from the keyboard. I don't know what is technically possible or not, but Apple's iOS itself only elegantly displays the iOS [copy] popup the moment AFTER you have selected the text you want. Which is much more userfriendly.
The popup does not follow your finger all the way round, as Xenforo's popup inconvienantly does.
This is what I was afraid of when I saw what it looked like on the desktop.

I love it as well. I didn't know BB had it already.

Yes, I tested it earlier, since I was of the opinion XF's multi-quote system was seriously lacking in this field, especially compared to BB: http://xenforo.com/community/threads/quote-selected-text.87/page-4#post-770050

So I am not sure where the inspiration came from, but the current improved XF multiquote resembles BB's one now. And that is not a bad thing. In fact, it is in several ways now an improvement over BB, so I am really happy with that.

For one, I love it that it also works on my iPad, which I tend to use much more then my good old desktop nowadays. BB's version does not work on iOS, so that's a great benefit XF has now.

IE8 is really just at a "works reasonably well" level. In this case, IE8 would require totally different code to support (it doesn't have the standard selection API).

IE8 ... how disgusting ! I only use Chrome. (heh. This PC has IE9, which I have blocked updates).

IE8 marketshare is at 5%, (not 20%).
I guess 20% of all internet users are using it tho.
Probably less so for forum goers.
Depends on your niche ?

http://www.netmarketshare.com/browser-market-share.aspx?qprid=2&qpcustomd=0

iOS compatibility >> IE8 full compliance.

Maybe IE8 show stoppers should be fixed.
Mere formatting stuff probably not.
Maybe with a message to update your browser ? (Does Xenforo do that ?)

It does not work here on this page with IE8. Is IE8 still supported?
Wut doezint w3rk ?

Last edited:
Win XP???? They do know that MS discontinued support for that, right??
Though I don't agree with it, myself, there are a lot of companies that just cannot upgrade due to legacy essential business software.

There's ways of mitigating risks introduced by using end of life software. But aside from all the possible reasons not to upgrade, most companies should have already been thinking about and planning an upgrade from XP years ago. But, sometimes, when your legacy software application which might costs tens/hundreds of thousands to re-write, fix, test and implement that far outweighs the risks of not upgrading.

This appears to be one step closer to what QuoteMe! does, but you need to take the other step, IMO. Allow users to select a snippet from one post, hit reply, select a snippet from another post, hit reply, etc., and then, finally move down to the box to reply to all snippets at once.

QuoteMe! is one of the "oh, wow" features that my users really appreciate.

I think IE8 compatibility is an interesting issue for Forum software.
My suggestion is to start a thread about it.
See what experiences people have with it. What works, what doesnt.

My apologies.
My graphic was from 2010, showing >20% marketshare for IE8.
Obviously it is much lower than that.

Screw IE8 !

Last edited:
This appears to be one step closer to what QuoteMe! does,
YESSSSSSSS !

quoteme-png.34995

I forgot how good Quote ME was.
Cedric rocks.

Windows 7 > Windows 2000 > Windows XP SP3 > the rest > Windows ME.

I think IE8 compatibility is an interesting issue for Forum software.
My suggestion is to start a thread about it.
See what experiences people have with it. What works, what doesnt.
No, it is ok for me. I dont like IE8 at all. No need to spend 1 minute of dev time on this matter. There were 2 possible options why this feature do not work with IE8: no support or a bug. And I can live very well with the no support path. And it is my companys computer, so it is their problem not mine. ;) But, thanks for your support. :)

Top Bottom