XF 1.4 XenForo 1.4 Improvements to Replying

XenForo radically improves the ability of your users to reply in a concise, accurate and intuitive way.

Watch the video to find out how.

YouTube / Vimeo

Update: in answer to a question about whether or not this works across multiple pages / threads...
YouTube / Vimeo

Last edited:
I don't believe Kier or Mike have access to a Windows phone.

Once it is rolled out here, no doubt anyone using a Windows phone will confirm whether it works or not.

Thanks XF team for listening to cedric and his great quoteme addon on how to do selective quoting. Great to see it in the core, and a big thanks to @cclaerhout for providing us exactly this feature through his fantastic, and now redundant quoteme addon.

I don't believe Kier or Mike have access to a Windows phone.

Once it is rolled out here, no doubt anyone using a Windows phone will confirm whether it works or not.
I'm wondering how it's going to operate on iOS, since any text selection automatically brings up the cut/copy/paste/etc menu.

As per requests, Select-to-Quote can now be globally disabled (if for some reason you actually wanted to..?)

enable s2q.webp

XenForo radically improves the ability of your users to reply in a concise, accurate and intuitive way.

The Select-to-Quote is working perfectly; I have one question though:

Would it be possible to make it work for triple clicking? For example, I always select multiple lines of text by clicking three times:

Lorem Ipsum is simply dummy text of the printing and typesetting industry. Lorem Ipsum has been the industry's standard dummy text ever since the 1500s, when an unknown printer took a galley of type and scrambled it to make a type specimen book. It has survived not only five centuries, but also the leap into electronic typesetting, remaining essentially unchanged. It was popularised in the 1960s with the release of Letraset sheets containing Lorem Ipsum passages, and more recently with desktop publishing software like Aldus PageMaker including versions of Lorem Ipsum.

(mouse-click three times in the middle of the text, you'll see what I mean)

The Select-to-Quote is working perfectly; I have one question though:

Would it be possible to make it work for triple clicking? For example, I always select multiple lines of text by clicking three times:

Lorem Ipsum is simply dummy text of the printing and typesetting industry. Lorem Ipsum has been the industry's standard dummy text ever since the 1500s, when an unknown printer took a galley of type and scrambled it to make a type specimen book. It has survived not only five centuries, but also the leap into electronic typesetting, remaining essentially unchanged. It was popularised in the 1960s with the release of Letraset sheets containing Lorem Ipsum passages, and more recently with desktop publishing software like Aldus PageMaker including versions of Lorem Ipsum.

(mouse-click three times in the middle of the text, you'll see what I mean)
Yes it already work ;)

Hmm... It does work.

But it places the links elsewhere in the post, rather than at the end of the selection. Latest Chrome on Windows.

Might be worth reporting that as a bug.

I often highlight text in messages for the purpose of copying a URL or other data which is not intended to be quoted. Having the " +Quote | Reply " pop-up is very annoying.

Kier, please make a Preference setting in the Visitor tab so we can disable the Select-to-Quote feature. I know we can disable it on our own forum, but I would like to be able to disable it when visiting other XenForo forums.

Thank you.

I often highlight text in messages for the purpose of copying a URL or other data which is not intended to be quoted. Having the " +Quote | Reply " pop-up is very annoying.

Kier, please make a Preference setting in the Visitor tab so we can disable the Select-to-Quote feature. I know we can disable it on our own forum, but I would like to be able to disable it when visiting other XenForo forums.

Thank you.

I don't find it annoying. Maybe it is something you will just have to adapt too.

I love this new partial quote functionality. However, there is an annoyance indeed and in my opinion that would be when you use iOS. I tested this new functionality on my iPad and it's a bit awkward seeing the [+quote|reply] popup immediately the moment you press your finger on the text...and it keeps moving with your finger, until you let your finger go from the keyboard. I don't know what is technically possible or not, but Apple's iOS itself only elegantly displays the iOS [copy] popup the moment AFTER you have selected the text you want. Which is much more userfriendly.
The popup does not follow your finger all the way round, as Xenforo's popup inconvienantly does.

I think from a technical standpoint that's how iOS fires the events.

It is a different behaviour to how it works on a standard PC/Mac.

It definitely only brings up the popup once the selection is complete, but it seems that in iOS that event is fired continuously even while the selection is still happening.

It might be worth reporting it as a bug. It's not impossible that there could be different events that could be picked up for iOS (if they exist) that will be more appropriate, but I would be prepared to see it closed with the "Browser Issue" prefix :)