Xen Notices [Deleted]

2012-07-16_163339.png

Thank you :D

Feel free to buy it again if you feel you didn't pay enough :p :ROFLMAO:

Just thought of another use for this add-on.

You could set up a notification that warns about Cookie Usage.

I believe they built this in to 1.1.3 as a Notice, but nothing to stop you from adding it as a notification, with a link to your privacy policy and getting people to agree to the use of Cookies by dismissing the notice.

What would that be for ? Just messing around ?
He is referring to this request here:

http://xenforo.com/community/threads/tipss-popup.33800/

So the idea would be you'd create a new notification, but within that one new notification you could input as many text boxes as you like. Each time the notification is displayed, it will choose a random text box from the notification to display text from.

So in essence you have one notification that could be configured with maybe 10 or so "Did you know?" type tips for using the site.

IMO, educating users should be a bit more methodical than random.
Users should have one "Go To" location to educate themselves on the new forum.

Making a thread where people can ask questions is always a good idea.

You don't want a list of 10 tips to be random.
You certainly don't want repeats.
Randomly displaying 10 tips .... it could take years before one person got all 10 tips.

I just bought this and it's AWESOME. The only thing I didn't like is that the 'dismiss' notice feature. Let's say I dismiss the notification by clicking on the 'X' button in the corner, the notification should be dismissed forever, until the admin makes it impossible to dismiss.

Can this be fixed?

Also - make it easier for us to color the panel right from the admincp, without needing to add the CSS code. Bigger avatar, as Shelly pointed would be awesome.

Can the notification be an image ? If it can, might be a good idea to show that on the description.

Use an advertising example ... people will pay for that.
you want to enable advertisers to purchase "Specials".
I called this a "Kmart Blue Light special" where people were alerted to a special sale.
If the notification can be an image ... is the Avatar optional ?
A smart idea would be to document all the usage scenarios of this. Hit people over the head with examples so they'll say ... "Yea, that's useful!, I want that." Most if not all addons do a lousy job of documenting and explaining the usage scenarios. Saying ... you can use images ... and seeing examples in the descriptions are two different things.
Floris used to make a video of his addons (Kier used to do it as well for new features) and it really helps people see the usefulness.

I just bought this and it's AWESOME. The only thing I didn't like is that the 'dismiss' notice feature. Let's say I dismiss the notification by clicking on the 'X' button in the corner, the notification should be dismissed forever, until unless the admin makes it impossible to dismiss.
Can this be fixed?
did you mean unless ?

I just bought this and it's AWESOME. The only thing I didn't like is that the 'dismiss' notice feature. Let's say I dismiss the notification by clicking on the 'X' button in the corner, the notification should be dismissed forever, until the admin makes it impossible to dismiss.

Can this be fixed?

Also - make it easier for us to color the panel right from the admincp, without needing to add the CSS code. Bigger avatar, as Shelly pointed would be awesome.
Don't get confused between the dismiss button and the close button.

The X in the corner is not for dismissing the notification, it is merely for closing it. The X in the corner will only ever hide the notification until the next time they visit the page.

A notification that can be dismissed looks like this purple one.

notifications3-png.31595

Notice there is a "Dismiss Notification" link? That is how you can dismiss a notification.

For each notification you can specify whether it can be dismissed or not:

adminnotifications3-png.31584

Hmm, just had an idea for a colour chooser in the admin screen so that will remove the need to add custom CSS.

Can the notification be an image ? If it can, might be a good idea to show that on the description.

Use an advertising example ... people will pay for that.
you want to enable advertisers to purchase "Specials".
I called this a "Kmart Blue Light special" where people were alerted to a special sale.
If the notification can be an image ... is the Avatar optional ?
A smart idea would be to document all the usage scenarios of this. Hit people over the head with examples so they'll say ... "Yea, that's useful!, I want that." Most if not all addons do a lousy job of documenting and explaining the usage scenarios. Saying ... you can use images ... and seeing examples in the descriptions are two different things.
Floris used to make a video of his addons (Kier used to do it as well for new features) and it really helps people see the usefulness.
The notification can contain an image.

Here's an example of that: http://xenforo.com/community/threads/would-you-pay-for.33761/#post-384568

I know it's not exactly what your asking for, but it does work and yes, the avatar is optional.

Don't get confused between the dismiss button and the close button.

The X in the corner is not for dismissing the notification, it is merely for closing it. The X in the corner will only ever hide the notification until the next time they visit the page.

A notification that can be dismissed looks like this purple one.

Notice there is a "Dismiss Notification" link? That is how you can dismiss a notification.

For each notification you can specify whether it can be dismissed or not:

Hmm, just had an idea for a colour chooser in the admin screen so that will remove the need to add custom CSS.

Can I suggest you keep that in? The custom field? The reason I think you should is because last night I used the generated IDs and I noticed when I deleted one notification the other notification which I modified reverted back to id1 so I went back into extra and modified id2 to id1. I suspect with custom the class id will stay despite whether you delete other notifications so I still think the custom field is still worth keeping in.

Can I suggest you keep that in? The custom field? The reason I think you should is because last night I used the generated IDs and I noticed when I deleted one notification the other notification which I modified reverted back to id1 so I went back into extra and modified id2 to id1. I suspect with custom the class id will stay despite whether you delete other notifications so I still think the custom field is still worth keeping in.
Yeah I'd be keen to keep it in. But also have a colour chooser for people who aren't as comfortable with CSS.

Don't know why I didn't think of it before, really.

Unless you're doing advanced stuff like Shelley (changing sizes of things, spacing, changing borders, adding bacon etc.), the only two things in CSS you need to worry about are the background colour and the text colour.

Definitely a lightbulb moment!

Thanks guys, next version definitely.

Top Bottom